NHM Wildlife Photographer of the Year

David_Cavan

<p>I see in past years this competition has been somewhat controversial, but I didn't see any press indicating that for this year's version. Some great photos, and some obviously talented individuals. I thought the Nature forum was a good choice for posting this.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/wpy/gallery/2014/index.html">http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/wpy/gallery/2014/index.html</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>So, completely unexpected happening this evening. We went to our local camera club here in Vancouver, and the guest program speaker was one of the photographers (Jess Findley) who was in the bird photography group. No idea that connection was going to happen - serendipity at it's finest.</p>

<p>One thing that I really like about the images selected in this competition is the fact that almost all of them tell a story, have a message of some significance beyond the obvious, and do it in a visually strong way. What I like less is that many of the images are visually a little "over the top" i.e. great magazine cover material but when all the knobs are turned full open it gets tiring to view over prolonged periods of time. Some spectacular images included in this contest include Michael Nichols's grand prize winner (I think the IR landscape very well conveys the impending doom of lions baking still in sunlight, but at risk of being hunted down), Greg du Toit's Night of the Pelicans (the movement and buzz of the pelicans is evident in the long exposure and tight perspective), Ingo Arndt's Transparent care (not just the animal in silhouette but offspring next to it as well, and beautiful backlit leaf texture for context), Ary Bassous' Night of the deadly lights (getting stars as background has become more common these days has it not), Matthew Smith's Sailing (amazing use of light), Christian Vizl's Glimpse of underworld, Fabien Michenet's Little squid, Chris Gug's Silver streak (great timing and composition), and others. I also like the Rising star Portfolio winner Michel d'Oultremont's set of images which show how interesting photos of wildlife can be made without the main subject being in a close up in the final image.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I also like the Rising star Portfolio winner Michel d'Oultremont's set of images which show how interesting photos of wildlife can be made without the main subject being in a close up in the final image.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think that's a growing trend amongst the next generation of wildlife photographers from what I've been able to see. Perhaps it's a reflection on the environmental consciousness of the millenials and their offspring - whatever, I like the outcomes. According to one bird photographer (of my generation) I spoke with recently he felt as if he needed to choose between wildlife photography and landscape photography. The idea that instead, these can work together is intriguing and pleasant as far as I'm concerned.</p>