I'm going to travelling to Olympic NP next Tuesday (the 26th) for a

week. I've read the other threads and developed an itinerary:

Hurricane Ridge, etc Day 1, Crescent Lake area day 2, Ozette Pt day 3,

Beaches days 4 and 5, Seattle Day 6.

I've read that this was a really dry year. How does that effect the

scenery out there? Anything not on the itin. that is really a

"don't-miss?" This is one of the few photography only trips I'm going

to be taking in the near future and I'm sure if I ever get back to the

Northwest it will be years from now. Thanks for any help.

Those closer can fill you in to the exact conditions. But here in NW Oregon (simular weather) we have had quite a bit of rain this late spring and even into the early summer. In the Mountains here the Wildflowers are still in bloom, And things look quite green. My guess based on what i see here in the Northern Cascades that you might actually have better conditions in the Olympics then a normal year mid July.

What are you primarily shooting; landscapes, wildlife, flowers, macro, birds? There's infinite places to photograph here, I've lived here all my life and still can't make up my mind most days. Unless the weather is bad. It's not a dry year. Ozette is a great choice. For Lake Crescent, don't focus too much on the lake, there are a few good shots but personally I don't think it's all that photogenic, at least from the highway side. Storm King is crazy-cool if you're up for some steep hiking, at the top you can look down into the lake and see amazing colors (but that's all the hike is for, the rest is just steep), Marymere Falls is naturally just beautiful. If you wanna shoot the lake I recommend taking the railroad trail, but it really does have a couple spots of poison oak (very rare here) which hang out into the trail. Salmon Cascades is beautiful but I don't know that any salmon are running now. The Hoh Rainforest is one thing not to be missed, around the Hoh or Clearwater rivers. It can be difficult to shoot inside the rainforest so I don't know what kind of pictures you might get but you must see it. If it rains too much you can still go inside the rainforest or if near Hurricane Ridge, take a trail from Heart O' The Hills campground, it doesn't rain much under the trees. On the way to Hurricane Ridge stop at the Switchback Trail for a full range of wildflowers- the stream at the bottom is rich with streamside plants, a little higher there's some impressive meadow, and so on but after the meadow if you just drive up to Hurricane Ridge you'll see the rest anyway.

I consider the westside can't miss places to be Hoh Rainforest, Lake Quinalt and surrounding environs, and the coast. As mentioned, the mid-winter dry was replaced by a sustained wet. It's just beginning to dry out again. Should be nice conditions in late July. -Greg-

I would bring a tripod for Hoh.

My favorite place on the Olympic Peninsula is Second Beach near the town of

LaPush -- short hike, ever-changing photo opportunities in all kinds of

weather. The Hoh rainforest is best on overcast days -- much less common

during the summer.

<p>I live inside the boundary of the rainshadow of the peaks of the Northern Olympics (i.e., most of the park) and while late Winter and early Spring were very dry, late Spring and the last couple weeks (i.e., early Summer) have been somewhat rainier than usual so I would not expect the park to be too dry. </p>

<p>As for the itinerary:</p>

<p>Hurricane Ridge should be done at sunrise only (according the local photogs who I chatted with while there one moring) due to what the light does. I would suggest driving up in the dark 2 hours prior to sunrise so you can start to get the lay of the land. The locals told me sunset is a waste unless you get good cloud cover to get some color as you are at the Eastern edge of the range. It is a lovely spot to grab a camera and welcome a new day.</p>

<p>Marymere Fall at Lake Crescent is a pretty and tall rather large drip (a big drop in a creek). You will need to stitch a pano or have a very wide lens to get the whole fall. Other than that, unless you have a kids with you the Lake Crescent area is not that exciting (for photo ops).</p>

<p>I would recommend heading up the Sol Duc River rather than spending time at Lake Crescent. The Salmon Cascades are a pretty spot and the triple stream waterfall at Sol Duc Falls is far more photogenic. The Sol Duc River basin gets similar rainfall to the Hoh, but it is at a higher elevation. So you will see lots of hanging moss and such.</p>

<p>Second Beach is lovely. Rialto beach is pretty. Both get the magical low sunset light that the Puget Sound region never gets (stuck between two mountain ranges). A hike North of Rialto Beach (a few miles) is Hole In The Wall where you can shoot sunet with a rock arch IIRC (I have not been there). After talking to a ranger I learned Third Beach is a bust and that he will hike out Second Beach for the scenery when heading South of Third Beach. Remember to stop at a ranger station to get tide info before undertaking any travel along the shore. Albeit, a quick look shows no extreme times (high or low) for this period barring a major storm (which can make tide prediction grossly wrong in magnitude). Nonetheless, the water is not the primary danger during a high tide, it is being trapped in 6 inches of water by a washed up tree and drowning that will get you. Expect crowds at all the beaches unless you hike for miles. First Beach is lovely, but it is also the home to the Quileute people so it has buildings right up to the shore.</p>

<p>The rain forest by lake Quinault is a true wonder to visit. But the Hoh gets more rain so would make a better call for environmental extremes. </p>

<p>Wherever you go, talk to the rangers, learn where you can go off trail and do so (carry a compass, I always do so I can place the sun for various seasons while scouting shots). Getting 10 feet (3 m) off the trail will take you into a wondrous world. Treat it with respect and watch your step so everything is still there for the next visitor.</p>

<p>The Hoh River Rain Forest is still on my list of places to see as I have not made it there. But the photos I have seen mark it as magical and worth seeing. I chose to visit the Sol Duc instead as the elevation was higher (and I live relatively near).</p>

<p>If you do visit Ozette and are physically hale, then plan on a full day and doing a 10 mile hike. Check the tide tables, head out one trail, up or down the seashore, and then hike back the other trail. As you hike the shore you can time it to spend the high tide period on a sandy beach or an a rocky shore. I have heard that you must yield to the tides on this one as some points are impassable at high tide. The <a href="http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parks/olym/ppMaps/OLYMmap1%2Epdf">national park map</a> (warning, large PDF file) shows two such spots where the tides will stop you on this run. I have yet to do this one, but it is on the list.</p>

<p>Heading further North to visit the lands of the Makah Nation will reward you with a visit to Cape Flattery (the furthest point West in the contiguous US) which is an enjoyable spot with a lovely drive along the straights to get there (and back). South of there is Shi Shi Beach which is where the Wild Shore that Olympic National Park protects starts. I have yet to vist Shi Shi, but again, it is on the list. Again, check the tide tables, driving at low tides will yield more to see.</p>

<p>If you are very physically fit, then you might try a day hike photographer style with a long walk balk in the dark (carry survival gear, i.e., water filter, compass, warm clothes, shells to keep off the weather, minimal food for a day+, ...) and try the Seven Lakes Basin which was recommended to me. It is on the list, but I will likely take camera gear, sleeping bag, food, and my bivy sack and do it for a few days when I do it.</p>

<p>After looking at your photo, I would suggest sticking with Hole In The Wall (4 miles out, but not too far to carry your daughter). Bring warm clothing, it has been a cool Summer so far (i.e., the few <b>hot days</b> have possibly hit 85 F, but likely less and I live in a rainshadow so warm days are warmer here.</p>

<p>I strongly suggest visiting Sol Duc Falls and just driving past Lake Crescent (a mile walk in with your daughter is only a tiny bit further into the woods than Marymere Falls)></p>

<p>Whatever you decide, enjoy it. ONP is one more slice of Heaven/Hell (depends on the weather) on Earth.</p>

<p>hope this helps,</p>

<p>Sean</p>

Like everyone has said it has been a wet spring and summer here in Washington state. if you are planning to backpack in for day 4&5 then Lake Ozette might be where you want to spend the extra day. You and do the triangle and visit both sand point and Cape Alava. Because of the long days here in Washington The sun is setting in the NW and rising in the SE which will give you colors on the coast for both sunrise and sunset. Cape Alava faces NW and Sand Point can have some nice colors in the morning. to see an example of sunrise color check out this link:

http://riwong.smugmug.com/gallery/531862/1

and view photo #2 & #3. The only problem is that to camp out on the beaches during the summer you need to make a Backcountry campsites reservation which goes fast if the weather is nice.

You can hike in the dark but it is DARK you will be hiking through old growth forest and most of the time on wet boards and uneven plank stairs (easy to slip off or walk off).

If you are looking for a spot where you can drive right up to the ocean Rialto Beach is a good spot which is near the town of Forks, there are a few sea stacks off the beach. It is also just South of the Hoh Rainforest road. I have Camped at the Hoh campground explored and photograph during the morning and moved and setup camp at Rialto Beach in time for sunset. (Only need to hike in 1 mile before you are allowed to set up camp)

enjoy Rick

I spent this past weekend in the Hurricane Ridge area. It has been very dry, but the wildflowers are great and at their peak! Most of my time was spent along Klahhane Ridge. The wildlife is plentiful in this area. Two weeks ago I was lucky enough to encounter a very photogenic mountain goat. Best of luck!

Dave