Patrick, I looked again at the image on the screen, when I reduced the brightness up popped the rings! Obviously caused in the scanning as you suggested. It must be the rubbishy negative carrier in my Epson 4490, it just does not hold the negs flat and must have allowed the film to bow down and touch the glass. I will have to investigate a carrier that will hold it flat. I don't want to use a glass carrier as that will give even more opportunities for rings to form. Anybody any suggestions?

Scott Frindel Cole wrote: I've followed the suggestion of many which works for me: reverse

the neg so the shiny side is up. No more rings.

No shit? I actually stopped using the glass carrier (which was supposedly superior to the

other one) because of the massive amount of rings I was getting on this big job I was

doing......a couple of years ago.

Good news. Now I'll have to worry less about across the frame sharpness and getting that

film holder to stretch the film flat as possible. I take it you've not noticed any reduction in

sharpness or detail in the scans since reversing it. I'll have to try it out next time.

Anthony,

Incredibly, film flatness on my v500 does not seem to affect the focus at all. I was thinking of

buying the betterscanning.com products, like the ANR glass and carriers, but so far I can't

see a reason to.

Scott

I've reversed the film, but that still did not stop all Newton rings. Using the very thin border

frames (not sure what they're called; templates?) has solved the problem for my Nikon glass

carrier.