NEWSFLASH: Details on new CV offerings!

monsoonphoto.net

I've just had a chance to look at some of the latest Japanese

photography magazines which feature the new offerings from

Cosina/Voigtlander. There are four new items. Unfortunately, I don't

have a flatbed scanner, so you'll just have to take my word for it. :-)

Also, understand that my Japanese isn't very good, so I apologize for

any errors in advance.

<P>

1) <B>Bessa R3A</B><P>

- Auto exposure (aperture-priority)<BR>

- 1.0x magnification<BR>

- Includes a 40mm frameline<BR>

- Available from October, 50,000 yen<BR>

- Resembles the Epson RD-1<BR>

<P>

2) <B>Bessa R2A</B><P>

- Auto exposure (aperture-priority)<BR>

- 0.7x magnification<BR>

- Available from December, 50,000 yen<BR>

- Resembles the Epson RD-1<BR>

<P>

3) <B>Voigtlander 40/1.4 in M-mount</B><P>

- As compact as the CV 35/2.5 Pancake II<BR>

- Uses a new lens hood<BR>

<P>

4) <B>Voigtlander Light Meter II</B><P>

- Clip-on light meter, similar to previous model, but more compact and

flatter

It doesnt have the same effective baselength. As Alan as described it has a 1.0 finder so even if it has the same basic baselength as the R/R2 the EFB is greater.

Also remember that the Rollei spin off, was the only way to get a R2 in chrome, so it could well be possible with this new Zeiss body too will be the R3a, but with different chrome metal finished panels rather than just a silver paint job. The fact that Zeiss already have a 40mm lens and Voigtlander have created another but one that doesnt conflict with the 2.8 Zeiss one, may mean that they are covering all speed bases in the 40mm focal length and allowing fans of the 40mm f2 Rokkor/Summicrons to have a place in there too. (The 40mm F2 being a favourite with Mr K of Cosina) CLE prices will now fall dramatically I think!

I am very excited about the new 40mm f1.4, being a 40mm focal length fan (with CL/CLE's) I will be getting one for sure. It will be the fastest 40mm lens created by any manufacturer if im not very much mistaken.

A new smaller meter will be great too and I bet they have address the exposure lock complaint alot of people have with the first version.

I will have to start saving for one of each.

According to another Japanese site, there are two versions of the new 40mm lens, the regular and a S.C. model, the latter of which is a limited edition of 500. The Japanese description translates to "monolayer coat", so I guess it's simply "Single Coated".

It could be that Zeiss -- being more demanding -- is either providing or using a different rangefinder system that is more in line with the classic Contax user. Either way, things are definitely getting more interesting. The longer base certainly lends itself to a longer lens.

Could someone 'splain the "rangefinder base length" thing to me? I understand finder

magnification, but how can you tell what the base length is from the photo? How do the

two photos above show similar base lengths?

This is jazzy news, whatever the eventual products become. Just knowing there are still

companies dedicated to developing film-based cameras/lenses. I'll be happy now, as long

as Kodak can continue production of PlusX, TriX, Portra, and some E6....

Derek, each camera has 2 larger "windows" positioned above & to the right of the lens. There is a much, much smaller "window" to the left of these. On the Zeiss Ikon, it is much farther to the left. The distance between this small window & the farther right of the 2 larger windows is the baseline of the rangefinder. It is obviously much longer on the Zeiss Ikon than on the Bessa R3.

What I see coming out from Cosina-Voigtlander and Contax leaves the Minolta CLE and it's predecessor the Leica CL as the king of compact M-cameras. Joel: I believe prices of the CLE will actually increase. Remember, only about 20,000 were built. With the new 40mm lenses (Rollei Sonnar 40mm/2.8, the elusive Rollei 40mm/1.8 which is in the Rollei 35RF literature, and the new CV 40mm/1.4), there are even more choices for CLE fans. A great combination is also the superb CV 28mm/3.5 on the CLE. It is getting harder and harder to get CLE's. I also like the TTL flash capability which is probably going to stay a Leica exclusive for the time being. When was the last time you saw a decent Minolta CLE on eBay? A market niche waiting for an update, in my opinion.