NEWS: Sony Introduces the New A6500

<p>The E and FE mounts are identical. E and FE lenses are marked with the true focal length, not the "equivalent" popular on inch sized cameras. One could, for example use a 16-35 zoom (24-52 equivalent) on the A6500 in about the same situations as a 24-70 on the A7.</p>

<p>I admit it's not ideal, and I'm not about to trade my A7ii "backup) for an A6500, but for years I used a D2X Nikon as a backup after I moved up to a full-frame D3. There are many occasions where extra "reach" is useful without the bad effects of using a tele-extender or cropping. A 24 MP FF image cropped to APS-C size is only 10 MP.</p>

<p>You turn up you nose at video, but video is where the money is these days. I guess that's not important either.</p>

<p>This looks like a decent upgrade to my A6000 with IBIS, silent shooting, touch screen and super fast AF being the main plus features. 4K video is a bonus. I passed on the A6300 but I may have to start to assemble a war chest to pick this little gem up.</p>

<p>Buried in the specifications is the fact that the A6500 can be powered through the USB connector. The A7Rii has this feature, but not the A7ii. Considering the small battery capacity, this is very useful when shooting extended video or event portraits from a tripod. (I don't like to shoot tethered to a belt or pocket pack. It's easier and safer to carry extra batteries. I set a camera down one time then walked away still attached. Bad juju.)</p>

<p>It uses the same NP-FW50 batteries as the A7 cameras.</p>