S camera. It was young Dr. Maitani's first design. He wanted to get

it under a certain price, but he had the machinists go back again and

again until he was satisfied that the shutter button had the feel of

a Leica M. Most of these jpegs were made when I had only the crudest

understanding of the scanner and PS, but they will have to do for

now. I have a very respectable 8x10 print of "El Rio", which doesn't

look all that good here. I can't make a hyper-link, but just click on

my name.

Well the Olympus History page says it "can be seen as" the full frame version, John, which also means it can not be. Other than the thumbwheel advance I don't see it. The XA and XA2 are the most similar models to the Pen; virtually identical in size and layout, also with the Maitani signature. And maybe you had a lemon too, because I found a couple of Trip 35 sites with some pretty sharp pictures in them. It certainly isn't you, because you've got some awesome images posted here. The buzz in the camera stores back then was that the Trip 35 was a cheap camera.

John, let me tell you, I used to go to downtown Schwabing in Munich where there was a nice camera store. In the window were the Nikon F photomics and they made everything else look outdated and crappy. But...money talks and BS walks. I liked taking pictures and ended up with this Olympus and still have ALL of the pictures I took with this unit. In retrospect I can say that the camera was probably broken from the very beginning, as I look through the pictures I can see perhaps half a dozen that are reasonably focused, but I just loved taking these pictures and liked photography so much that I started taking classes and used some of the first portable video equipment (Akai) However, at that time Nixon decided to let the dollar float against other currencies, and within 2 weeks my savings were wiped out...end of school.