access is. I have heard that roads can sometimes be sparse, and that

it may be difficult to get to certain areas because of lack of trails

and/or difficult terrain. I am definately interested in doing some

hikes, however I prefer that they be short hikes(not more than an

overnight or two) because I want to be able to see several types of

subjects. Additionally, I would like to get some pictures of

icebergs from land if at all possible - I do not know how close to

land they come or how common they are in August. I will probably be

there for about a week. Any and all responses will be appreciated.

Thank you very much

Wow, judging by the number of responses it sounds like NewFounland is not exactly the visited place around! Thankyou for your response, I have gone on some of the tourism websites, which are quite good. However,I was hoping that there were some people who have gone to NewFoundland and could talk about what types of things they saw and what kind of photo opps exist.

Newfoundland is a little more out of the way than the rest of the maritime provinces, but is stunningly beautiful in many places (it's the next province on my list). The recent movie "The Shipping News" was filmed there and is supposed to have showcased the land quite nicely. It might be worth a rent.

I have seen one claim, somewhere in the PhotoNet database, that the area around Gros Morine has one of the highest Moose concentrations in North America. Since Newfoundland is on my FUTURE list of places to go, I can't verify this. Maybe you could give us a report on the wildlife, etc. after you return.

OK I've been holding out.Sorry. I went to Newfoundland in May 2000( prime iceberg viewing time.) Spent 10 days. Flew into St. John's, and explored the Avalon Peninsula for the next 5-6 days. Saw very dramatic iceberg aground in Bay Bulls first morning. 100 ft. tall 50 ft. hole in the center. It broke up in the fog next morning before I could get a tour boat out to photograph it. Booking tour boats for iceberg pics is the way to go, although you could have ops from dry land. Also, a must see on the Avalon is the

gannet colony at Cape St. Mary's Reserve. Very dramatic sea cliffs with thousands of Gannets, Murre's and Kittiwakes. Long lens 600mm territory. The Puffin Colony at Whitless Bay is not user friendly as you need to be in a boat with a tour that isn't allowed to land, or you need to hire a local Conservation person to go ashore. Didn't happen for me. The interior of NF is a bolder strewn expanse with few people. Most of population lives along the coast, however the Cod fishing industry is pretty much defunct, forcing most able body males to move to mainland Canadian provinces for work, sending home money for family members. Thw North coast od NF is quite spectacular for beautiful deserted beaches, crashing waves, a few lighthouses and more icebergs. Twillingate, on the North Coast is a good place to hire, or join a tour boat. I hired my own for the control aspect of when to leave and come back. Cost was not too bad as I recall. Spent remainder of trip in and out of fishing villages on the North Coast making it as far as Terre Nova NP. Wasn't able to spend much time there, 1 afternoon as time was running out. Gros Morne would be a must next time, would need 2 weeks to see it all. Hope this was some help.

St. Johns is a lovely city and the central market is a fun place to hang around. Freeman Patterson lives in the area and might be able to give you some pointers if you e-mail him at his web site. The people who run Adair Lodge, where he holds his workshop, are quite familiar with the countryside and would be a good resource.

Watch out for Canadian drivers on the highway. They are speed demons and maniacs.

That picture of the iceberg with the hole in it is spectacular.

David Chananie

Doug, I just got back from hosting a Shoot the Light Photographic

Workshop in Newfoundland. I spent 18 days traveling with 10 days in NF

going around the entire Province, and the majority focusing on

wildlife and seabirds on the Avalon Penninsula. The icebergs were

outrageous,the gannets, murres, kittiwakes and puffins were to die

for. I did secure a private boat for the group, and we were able to

photograph eagles with chicks, even landing on a remote island for

killer puffin images. The coast is spectacular, with the weather

changing by the minute. I would check with David the owner of Wildland

Tours he is a biologist with infinite knowledge of NF and its

inhabitants before departing. I can't wait to go back next year!

Best,

Chas NPN/STL<div>003USS-8730884.jpg.5023aaedda8a014d8970c727835c120a.jpg</div>

Gros Morne

This is one of those rare, unique spots on the planet. It's on the East coast, rarely visited by the majority of people, and has some of the most spectacular vistas anywhere. What makes it particularly unique is a 500 million year old chunk of the ocean floor which got pushed up onto the Island. Almost 100% devoid of life, orange, rocky, its wonderful to contrast with the surrounding animal and plantlife.

http://www.canadianparks.com/sites/gmornnp/gmornnp-1-1.html