Newborn lighting Softbox size

rok_m

<p>I see all of the famous newborn photographers having these giant softboxes when photographing newborns. I just bought Elinchrom RX300 lights and I need one of these giant softboxes as well.<br>

<br />I was looking at Westcott 50' Apollo, is this enough or too big? Which do you suggest ? Softbox vs Octabox?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>50' is fine and by no means giant. What giant size soft boxes are you referring too. The softness of the light produced by a soft box is relative to the size of the subject. The larger the light source the softer the light. A baby will see a 3foot soft box as a giant light source and thus will produce a soft light assuming it is within 3 to 4 feet from the baby. The shape of the light source is purely your choice so get which ever one you think you can work with the best. I prefer octa shape but I also own rectangles as well.</p>

It sounds like someone told you one is better than the other. Use whichever you want it is personal preference. Again the

size depends upon your working distance. The larger or closer the softer the light. You did not say if you are shooting in a

studio setting or if you are shooting at the clients home. You need a size that is manageable. 3 foot octa is good for

location work.

I will be using it in a small studio where I want to position the light so the last side of softbox is in line with the baby so

the light gets feathered nicely on the subject. In this would the octabox light fall off differently compares to a rectangulat

softbox?

<p>There is no difference in the light quality the only difference is the shape of the catch light in the eyes. A baby is so small that which ever light source you use will still be larger than the baby so it is all the same providing you have the light 3 to 4 feet away.</p>

<p>I'm leaning towards Westcott 50'' Apollo softbox but the problem is I can't get it in Europe. Do you have any other brand suggestions with similar price/site, that are available in Europe as well?</p>

<p>Rok, I agree with Michael. 50" or 4' square is a fine size for newborns. Advantage of the Wescott is it opens like an umbrella on location. The down side is the speedlight or strobe is inside the box usually shooting at the back of the box so if you don't have radio triggers, say for your speedlights, you have to open the front diffuser panel to change power. Also, one of the complaints on their smaller boxes was they didnt tip down enough along the slit in the bottom of the box where the stand comes through. Your elinchom boxes are probably more expensive and probably more sturdy. I think an addendum to your question of what box is best for infants should be what box is good for infants and will be a versatile first box for other things you shoot. I think in prior posts here, the 3x4 is popular. In the octa, I like the 5' because I can make it smaller pulling it back. I cant locate it but I have a shot from the posing stool of a 3', 5' and 7' octa one behind the other distanced so all appear to be the same size to the subject. An advantage of a larger box in addition to being softer just out of frame, is when pulled back, gives a slower fall off due to the inverse square rule. When that newborn gets older and becomes a squirmy, moving about, that helps get more consistent lighting and getting it away form them as well. I would suggest you weigh whether the box will be use primarily on location, for head shots, torso, 3/4 or full length, and make my choice based on that rather than one limited use. Unless of course that is all you will do. If you want to spend the bucks, the Elinchrom boxes are excellent. I would love to own their 7' octa that opens like an umbrella. I just can't justify the grand price tag. I have the poor mans version, the Alien bee parabolic with diffuser, less than $100, that gives the portability the photoflex 7' octa doesn't have and with the silver, has as hard edged fall off allowing for a 6' spotlight effect. For me the octa is a wrestling match taking down and setting up and takes a half hour in studio to tear down, hour to set up and tear down on location and half hour to set up again in studio- 2 hours minimum. It is studio gear only for that reason. The 5' is manageable. On the 3x4 photoflex, I keep a folding speed ring that folds in half, so for transport it is fully assembled and I just snap the speed ring flat. As quick as the Wescott, a sturdy box and can be oriented horizontally or vertically for a rectangular catchlight. Although I generally prefer a round catch light, a rectangular works is preferred next and a square after those. In small spaces the egg crate and its lip really help. If you need an additional strip box, mine came with a reduction mask. </p>