Newbie: Rollei 6008AF system question.

staticlag

Hello, I am a photojournalist, and am looking to get into medium

format. I have chosen the Rollei 6008AF system as my entry system,

and was wondering which lenses work with the AF ability of the

camera?

<p>

I am looking at getting the 50mm f/2.8 Schneider Super-Angulon PQS as

my main lens, and was wondering if it worked with the AF technology.

Is this a good lens? Will it be able to take full advantage of the

camera's technology? Is there any better 40-50mm alternative?

<p>

Also, could someone recommend a portable flash that would compliment

this system? I would like enough power to provide adequate fill in

various daylight situations.

<p>

Thanks,<br>

-Dan

That's quite an expensive system to enter MF with! You do realize that 50mm

on a 6x6 is equivalent to a wide angle (~28mm) on a 35mm right? (This may

be a dumb question on my part). 80mm is equivalent to a 50mm on 35mm. I

wonder if you would be better off as a photojournalist to have a MF

rangefinder like a Mamiya 7 in terms of portability issues?

Currently, there's an 80mm f2.8, a 180mm f2.8, a 1.4teleconverter, and a 60-140 zoom available as autofocus lenses for the 6008AF. The 180 is kind of loud, and the zoom is really heavy. Chances are you want to start out with the 80. There are plans for more, including the 50mm f2.8 Super-Angulon you mentioned, but they're not yet available. However, the 6008AF can take pictures with all the 6000 series lenses, and the AF system can provide focus confirmation for the manual focus lenses.

I recommend 50mm as the best general purpose wide angle focal length available for this camera, and I personally think the f/2.8 Schneider Super-Angulon (in manual focus) is the lens to have. I have one, and I like taking pictures with it very much.

For flash, I recommend Metz with the 3562 flash adapter. So far as I know, it's the only adapter designed specifically to work with this camera. The model 54 is the flash you see in the Rollei literature.

If you get one of their "potatoe masher" style flashes, then be aware that the bracket Metz provides is inadequate with this camera. You need something shaped like the Stroboframe press/pro T as the handle needs to be to the right of the camera, and the flash needs to be in front of the viewfinder, not over it. Also, if you want to use the flash on a separate tripod, Metz makes extension cables that can increase the distance between the "command module" and the "potatoe masher," but they don't sell them in the USA. Henry's ebay has been a source for these in the past.

Enjoy the 6008AF it's a true pleasure to take pictures with and, of course, a fine way to tie up lots of income.

Welcome to the wonderful Rolleiflex 600x series!

The 50mm f/2.8 Schneider Super-Angulon PQS is not AF, but will give full use of all other features on the camera. The AF will act as a focus confirmation with the lens.

I use the 4/50mm Distagon. However, the 2.8 Super Angulon is one great lens. If it gives the angle of coverage you need, you will find no better lens made for any MF.

I am a wedding and events photographer. Most times the 50mm is as wide as I need.

For a list of all lenses and which are AF, visit www.Rollei-usa.com

A SCA 356 Adapter with a Metz flash will cover your fill flash needs in daylight. This give you full ttl.

If you do not mind using the flash in only automatic or manual settings. The new T4 Qflash will offer a wider set of lighting options.

Daniel,

Any current Rollei HFT/EL/PQ/PQS lenses will work with the AF but without the ability of AF. As you perhaps know already there are only three AF lenses currently 80/2.8 PQS, 180/2.8 and 60-140/4.6. The flash system I recommend Metz (45 CL4 to 70 MZ5) and Quantum flash as you could do TTL with both system with.

As an alternative lens I would highly recommend the 60/3.5 PQ distagon, I love this lens, other you might want consider the 80/2.8 AF xenotar as your main lens. But as wider angle you might want to look the 40/3.5 Schneider (I'm planning to get on of this also).But I'm sure your choice of the 50/2.8 is a good lens which I don't have any experience with this one. For low light 80/2.0 and 110/2.0 would be the choice.

Good luck with your choice and BTW you wouldn't really gonna use this system as photojournalist would you? better get the new Canon 1d markII, IMHO. Happy shooting!.

Ike

For basic assignments, no. But for some assignments there is the potential to sell to the subject, and I would like to use it to get better enlargement results in those cases.

Thanks for the help everyone, How is the manual focusing action(the dampening) of the AF lenses, when compared to the manual focus lenses?

Jason: Thanks for offering, yes I do know that 50mm on MF is a moderate wide angle. It never hurts to bring up these things.

Another question: What kind of relatively compact bag should I buy to carry this system?

The 6008's are quite heavy.. I'd look at as i said a rangefinder like a Mamiya,

or an AF 645 system.. much more compact... and you won't notice a difference

in quality of the images the different systems make.

Or.. You already have a Canon system, why not buy a dSLR?

You asked "How is the manual focusing action(the dampening) of the AF lenses, when compared to the manual focus lenses?"

I can only speak from experience about the 180. The autofocus lens does fine, but it has a very different feel from the manual focus 180 as it's an internal focusing design, so when you turn the focus ring, you're moving a lot less weight. Also, I think the viscosity of the lubricant is a little lower to accomodate the impressively fast autofocusing.

Buying into the 6008AF system is expensive but a pleasure to use. I have the 80AF, 60-140AF zoom, & 150 Sonnar (PQS-manual). I'd start with the normal 80, it seems a waste to have the AF body and not have at least the basic lens in AF to exploit what the camera can do. I handled the 50 2.8, and thought it heavy and I didn't like how close the front element to the edge was. Even though I have the monster zoom (which gets you noticed, like it or not), I'd like to get the 60 Distagon. It's smaller, lighter and fairly cheap compared to the other wides, but maybe not wide enough for you.Sometimes, I don't want to carry the zoom around, that's why I'm looking at primes. A 50AF and 100AF macro was promised awhile back from Rollei, but when & how much, who knows. The 60 Distagon also takes the same hood as the 80 Xenotar.

I also handled the 110 Planer, jaw dropping beautiful, it's on my list also. Not light nor cheap, but that f2 opening makes it all worth it.

I have the Metz 54 flash w/rollei adapter. It will do the job for you, no problems. When I use it with the zoom, I dial a shutter speed of 500+ or -, f stop whatever you want, no flash problems most of the time (this in Auto mode). In fact,I find I shoot to fast! When I had enough of the zoom around my neck, I go to the 80. I just did a couple of small events for my family, at least 90% of the walk around shots are fine (composition is something else). All the flash staged shots came out great and suitable for enlargement.

If you can, try out your lens choices before you buy, so you can see the differance in perspective.

Thanks again everyone!,

Before I buy anything, I plan on trying to rent a MF system from my local semi-pro shop. I will probably only be able to rent a Hassie, but it can at least give me an idea of the exact focal length that I would like. I am also now seriously considering a DSLR to compliment the EF lenses I already own. I would like the 1DS, but I have watched digital imaging since its birth and my brain has trouble accepting that the shoddy images I saw seven years ago can even begin to compete with a solid object unto which an image is embedded(film).