newbie flash user question

amul

I've been using monolights for in-studio work, but lately I've been

contemplating more event photography. I don't understand anything at all about

automatic camera-mounted flashes. I've been using a manual flash (the Vivitar

285), but I've not been able to successfully use it for bounce and fill-flash,

the math just defeats me. I'm really starting to develop a mental block about

the whole thing.

I have a MX, ZX-5n, and an *ist DS. What are my options for a high-end flash?

Are there flashes that can provide automation to the MX? Can someone point me to

a link that explains how to use TTL?

If you use the Vivitar 285 in auto mode, you won't have to do any math. Match the ISO/aperture on the flash to the camera and shoot away. If you use bounce flash, the unit will automatically compensate as it measures the amount of light reflected back to determine sufficient exposure. To use fill flash, set the flash aperture setting one stop wider than the camera. Regarding the MX, I do not believe it has TTL support so a TTL flash is of no benefit there. With the other bodies, you won't necessarily get better exposures or additional power, but you may gain some automation.

Regarding TTL in general, the fundamental distinction from an auto flash is that the exposure is measured Through-The-Lens (TTL) as opposed to a sensor on the flash. It also provides more automation so instead of changing the aperture on both the flash and the camera, you only change the aperture on the camera and the setting will be communicated to the flash.

TTL flash definitely has it's place but remember that auto flashes, especially the Vivitar 285, have been used by professional wedding photographers for years.