I'm kind of disappointed by the omission of a "matte" screen option -- and I'm not sure I wouldn't miss having a

clickable button in front of the

trackpad -- but I guess I save money if I don't feel a need to upgrade to the new models!

http://www.macworld.com/article/136063/2008/10/macbook_first_look.html

Reviewer says: "Users who are fans of the matte finish on the MacBook Pro are going to be quite disappointed

about these new systems’ standardization, iMac style, on a glossy glass-covered display. . . However, since the

displays are a single span of glass, there’s an easy solution for fans of anti-glare-coated displays: if they

don’t already, companies will no doubt begin to make screen protectors, like those already available for the

iPhone, that you can apply to your display in order to remove the shine and return an old-school matte finish."

Commenter says: "The mere thought of putting a screen protector over a display screen in order to achieve a matte

finish is ludicrous. Can you imagine explaining to a client, "this bubble here won't be in your image, it is just

the screen protector." Wrong! With each release of a new MacBook Pro, Apple moves farther and farther from the

creative community and closer to the consumer."

Some interesting design choices by Apple.

PLEASE NOTE: Somehow the rest of my subject line got cut off on submission. What I had typed in the "Title" box:

"New Mac notebooks offer only glossy screens"

If moderator can repair the headline I'd be most grateful, as I dislike non-descriptive headlines as much as anyone!

Leave the headline alone. Had it said "New Mac blah, blah, blah, Ginger!" I would have ignored it.

A screen protector will not produce a satisfactory finish. Non-adhesive types will add extra air-plastic surfaces, increasing internal reflections and decreasing contrast and resolution. Adhesive types eliminate the extra passage of light from air to plastic and back, but no human can put one on without bubbles.

I'll warm up the sandblaster and offer matte screen service for a reasonable price...