New ZS line from Zeiss, not just F mount.

kin_lau

Everyone already knows that the ZF line from Zeiss is for the Nikon F

mount, but the following was also announced.</p>

</p>

http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B58B9/?Open

</p>

</p>

CLN: Canon users would love to be able to use Zeiss lenses, too!

</p>

Müller: ナand they keep telling us day-in day-out. So along with the ZF

line, we are also introducing "ZS" lenses. Carl Zeiss ZS lenses come

with the same optics as the ZF line; only the mount is different. ZS

has the M-42 screw mount, the one that used to be called the

"Universal SLR mount." We don't think the M-42 screw mount is going to

take the market by storm, but it has a unique advantage: there are

M-42 adapters available for any SLR bayonet mounts, including Canon

EOS and FD. So you can adapt a ZS lens onto any 35 mm SLRs (and many

other applications as well) if you crave the optical characteristics

of this lens line and are willing to get along without the convenience

functions of recent lenses.

So you now have 3 options

Zeiss lenses in Contax/Yashica, Nikon, M42 - You can get EOS converters for all 3 mount types. People have been experimenting with C/Y and the older M42 mount Pentax/Practica Jena Zeiss lenses for some time in addition to the wide angle Olympus Zuiko and Leica R.

Same problems will still exist for the newly released models ie manual focussing and stop down metering which is not everyones cup of tea, you need split screen or fresnel prism viewfinder conversions with a magnifier of some sort to be able to achieve critical focus required by the modern DSLR and the resolutions achievable.

Canon 5D owners need to be aware of the mirror swing clearance issues with several of the older Zeiss and Leica R lenses

Mike Smith

Anyone have an answer for it?

For example I have a Zeiss 50mm 1.7 lens that I use on my Canon via an adaptor. IF there is a new Zeiss 50mm 1.7 for the Nikon F mount, will the optics be the same as my lens?

If so. I don't know what the fuss is about as mine works with infiniti focus + metering.

Trouble with all the Zeiss lenses on Nikon, nice as they are, is that Nikon doesn't have a full frame digital camera, yet their lens range is designed for full frame bodies.

In any case, I'm getting more and more convinced that current dSLRs are just a transitional technology. Given progress in digital sensors, the dSLR form factor is pretty much obsolete, and with it the constraints on lens design it imposes. So, investing large amounts of money in Canon, Zeiss, or Nikon glass expecting it to last decades is pointless. In terms of lenses, buy what you need to day and what is just good enough to get the job done today.

• 4 weeks later...
actually, I'm kinda hopefull about the ZS announcement for a Canon digital. Although Zeiss has chosen to start with the 50mm for the ZS option, I hope they go for the wide angle range real quick. If there is one thing Canon is really dropping the ball on is their wide angle primes....going for the zooms primarily nowadays. I would love to see a super nice 21mm f/2 or faster prime for my 20D. I usually use that angle of coverage (roughly equiv to 34mm on a full frame) manual pre-focused in aperture priority anyhow (and usually hip shot at that), so the lack of automatic compatibility is moot for me....and probably a lot of other "street shooters".