New Zeiss Ikon with Biogon

lucien1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there isn't much info available at this time but this looks like the Contax IV in a

newly proposed 1:2 picture size format. Does anyone know who may have made the

body? Does this mean Zeiss Ikon is back in camera making business, or is it only a

brand and Kyocera is still involved? I have so many questions and I just can't wait until

Sunday to find out...

Hm. So you're suggesting there is no particular reason why a 28mm lens other than the

fact that it was used to take that picture. You could well be right. For a while I was

suspecting if this could be a digital camera based on the 3/4s system, for which 28mm

amounts to roughly the standard focal length.

The camera really is a curious thing and I can't wait to know if it's film or digital. I have to

be honest and say that I really don't see much of a market for another film-based,

interchangable lens RF system now that we have Cosina, Hasselblad, Rollei, Contax, and

Leica spanning every price range.

my guess, however, is that is is "just" a mechanical RF designed to take the full range of G2 lenses. that would be a nail in leica's coffin if they get the camera right. but it also suggests that the RF renaissance continues (just as the high turntable renaissance followed CD).

by the way, the body covering looks just like stuff on my super ikonta. NOS??

If it is indeed a digital XPan then one has to wonder why it's not branded as such (i.e.

Hasselblad/Fuji). To me that scenario is unlikely because a digital XPan would have used

the existing Fuji lenses.

Perhaps I'm extrapolating too much (can't help it), but from the Zeiss website it seems like

Zeiss is behind only the lens (design or production) but not the camera.

Peter's argument makes sense. So perhaps the protrusions were to make room for a large

enough LCD screen.

And who will be making this (assuming that it's not just a prototype to impress)? Aside

from Zeiss themselves, which company has the production capabiliies but without a strong

brandname so as to want to revive Zeiss Ikon (analogous to what Cosina has done)?

Of all the recent RF models this one is perhaps the most Leica-like. The layout/design, at

least from what we can see, is a direct Leica derivation/replication. To me that seems to

suggest this is a company that's perhaps experienced in efficeint manufacturing processes

but relatively inexperienced in designing an interchangable-lens RF camera. i.e. They

looked to others for design clues.

Somehow I get the feeling that it is a company like Sigma, Tamron, or one of the Korean

electronics giants that's behind this camera. Pure speculation, of course.

Lets have a close look at this picture:

1.On the left side we can see something sticking along the left edge, like a back door axis, that does not show on the right side on the camera.

2.On the upper left side we can observe 3 longish things that appear to be circular dials: 1 for shutter release, another for speed dial, and a third with no gripping surroundings, could be the base of an advance lever.

These 2 things would make me think about a film camera.

3.The lever on the right of the lens, seems to be located quite well for a preview lever, more than a self timer lever, traditionally set on the other side, along the M style guarded button on the left side would surely indicate this is not a fixed lens Assembly, might even be M mount (who knows).

4.The leatherette seems to be of high quality finish, instead of usual low grade plastic covering of todays digital cameras, and the apparent longish RF base between VF and RF, give me the idea that this camera was designed to compel to some wacko product niche costumer like Leica/Nikon/Contax etc. RF users.