new Z400 f/2.8 interesting...

CvhKaar

I was using an orienteering compass the other day, it had no safety advice affixed, but obviously contains a magnet, and if smashed to bits the components could easily be swallowed by a child. Luckily, I'm not fitted with a pacemaker - yet - and my child is all grown up.

So I reckon I had a narrow escape there!

Oooh, those foxglove flowers and rowen berries look tempting and tasty! And there's no safety sticker on them, so they must be good to eat, right?

P.S. Does "other medical devices" include the hernia-belt you're likely to need from lifting heavy lenses?

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 3

This article has more explanation about the warning:

LINK Nikon's New Lens Tech is a Danger to Medical Devices | PetaPixel

The Z400 uses an improved focusing system with more powerful magnets than other lenses. A problem could arise if the magnets come with six inches of a pacemaker/defibrillator according to the American Heart Association in this article (scroll down to the heading Magnets):

LINK Devices that May Interfere with ICDs and Pacemakers | American Heart Association

This does not mean that if you hang a camera with the lens mounted around your neck you will drop dead, but it does mean it can cause problems. If you need a pacemaker/defibrillator, you already have enough problems; you do not need anymore.

No child will swallow the whole lens; the warning, found on about everything you buy, pertains to the small parts on the lens e.g., the screw on the collar mount.

the screw on the collar mount.

It doesn't come off, at-least none of mine do...it's a captive bolt...:)

There are no small parts unless you are in the habit of leaving a disassembled 400mm 2.8 lens lying around for small people to chew on....:eek:

Guess you could get a small child's head stuck in the lens hood?.....:p

Or maybe being used as a club to brain a sibling?...;)

• Like 1

Strange warning here:

Keep the lens and speaker away from credit cards and other such magnetic storage devices.

The data stored on the device could be corrupted

What speaker?

And I certainly will keep my credit card away from that lens - lest it be charged :p

I would take the warning serious though - but wonder why there is not a warning label directly on the lens if the threar is so dire?

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 1

But magnetic fields can be screened with a fairly thin plate of a material called mu-metal. This was routinely done around the beam-steering magnets in old CRT display tube devices.

That would appear to be a much better solution than an easily overlooked printed warning. Or would the extra 5 bucks production cost and extra ounce or two of weight just have made that lens too heavy and expensive?

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

mu-metal

I found this on-line....

Magnetic shielding made with high-permeability alloys like mu-metal works not by blocking magnetic fields but by providing a path for the magnetic field lines around the shielded area. Thus, the best shape for shields is a closed container surrounding the shielded space.

Seems the pacemaker needs shielding, not the lens! :p

• Like 1

I found this on-line....

Magnetic shielding made with high-permeability alloys like mu-metal works not by blocking magnetic fields but by providing a path for the magnetic field lines around the shielded area. Thus, the best shape for shields is a closed container surrounding the shielded space.

Seems the pacemaker needs shielding, not the lens! :p

Same difference!

Shielding is shielding. If you're trying to stop a bullet, does it matter where, between the gun and yourself, a Kevlar vest is placed? The vest will absorb the same amount of energy regardless.

Same difference!

Shielding is shielding. If you're trying to stop a bullet, does it matter where, between the gun and yourself, a Kevlar vest is placed? The vest will absorb the same amount of energy regardless.

No, not the same difference at all.

Shielding the vulnerable part is easy to do. Shielding all the many things that could do harm to the vulnerable thingy is undoable.

• Like 1