New York Photos

ray .

very good.....looks good........you must be as tall as me, the only advice I might give is to hip shoot some more..........not so much for the "hipshot" thing, but to get a lower perspective sometimes. If I "viewfinder" everything, then I have to bend down too much......these old bones cant take too much of that crap......so I hipshoot alot also. Not that you dont have lower perspective ones...just think more might be better over all. IMHO

cool place to shoot isnt it!? I could spend the rest of my life shooting there.........if I was independently wealthy, that is ;o)

New York is like Tri-x -- it has a distinct visual personality, and yet it always displays more than anything the personality of whoever's taking the pictures. Ray's NY is not Drew's NY, or Ed's or Grant's or whomever's... that's what's so cool about it.

Ray, my favorites are Central Park, the 6 Train, Alamo, Self, and Ballplayers.

My only complaint is that, on my monitor at least, the scans lack some midtones and dynamic range. These images deserve a little more sizzle that way.

Anyway, some very high-quality stuff and I'd say you had a successful trip.

Beau, For the most part I shot Tri-X at 600 this time, and kind of like the effect on the pictures. 'Passing' is unfortunately grievously underexposed, and maybe some others give up a little in tonal range, but in general they seemed fine to me. The proof, of course, will be in the printing. Further adjustments should be expected.

After having spent several of my formative years near NYC (Mount Vernon) where I began photography, including street shooting in the city, I've lost the sense of infatuation it seems to hold for many folks.

I live in Texas now and even after 25 years in the Fort Worth area I still find it presents more interesting photo opportunities.

Good shot, tho', Ray. Capturing the two people looking upward really makes this photo work. Good tonal range too, which I know isn't easy in those dimly lighted public transportation areas.

Some nice pictures, Ray. My favorites, in this order (actually the first and second are a push): Pelham Bay (guy in the glasses gives the shot a timeless look---this shot will probably age nicely), Central Park (has just a weird, surreal---and again, timeless---quality to it that may not have come across had the shot been in color---monochrome really brings it out), Conversation 6th & 32nd, Shopping, 7th Ave, and Self. Aside from that, I can only tell you what you probably already know, which is to keep revisiting those negs! You may make some surprising discoveries a month from now, two months from now, a year from now---and then you can share those here :>

I shot about 20 rolls b&w, (maybe 19 or 21, don't remember at the moment). There are maybe 10 or 12 OK shots I haven't posted yet, nothing to write home about. 3 rolls also of color, of which I've got maybe 3 or 4 halfway decent shots to post on NW threads.

The order of these in the folder is a bit screwed up at the moment, since I deleted and reposted some. They looked more coherent in the thumbnails before, I'll try to redo.

Thanks for your feedback, as always. ;)

Andrew Lee brings up an interesting point...one I have noticed and participate in myself. Street Photography does have this unique thing about it...defitely not so much with nature or other categories of photography that I;ve had an interest in....being that going back over negatives shot months ago almost always have you finding gems. And those gems are not just in my mind's eye, I post them and this site and others praise them. And I never noticed them first time, or even second time thru the batch.

Not to hi-jack your thread Ray........but I wonder why this is? I just accept the occurance right now, and take advantage of it, but I really do wonder what is behind this. Is it "getting, time wise, seperated from the original event"? Is it that expectations for that shot were elsewhere, and you didnt notice for a different reason, it was actually a good shot? Could be as simple as that.........but it certainly doesnt happen with the frequency in nature, say, as it does in street. I think there might be something else going on.....probably not though. Any thoughts?

it could be due to change....everyone changes each day, has new experiences.....right now im heavily into diane arbus, which is having an influence on me and my particular directions and motivations in photographing. it has me questioning.....and searching for answers i dont expect to find....perhaps thats one reason....perhaps not..

Definitely that you look at things differently from day to day... but

for me it's also that I just miss things in my haste get to what

else is there. On first or second go around, you usually don't

really take the time to look at every single thing you shot, and it

takes time to absorb all of what's there. There are usually

'sleepers' on the roll (or card) too. Maybe they're the less

obvious ones that seem plain at first, or need a scan or print to

reveal what they really have going for them. I've gone through

this batch of work pretty carefully though, and figure most of it is a

done deal.... I figure just a couple more small surprises is all it

may have left.