New York indoor locations

julian_ribinik

<p>The lobby of the Metropolitan museum of art. Under the baltimore terrace in central park. Inside the lobby of about a bajillion GORGEOUS upscale hotels in NYC. Are you looking for more traditional backdrops or fun and modern? Like say the winding staircase at the apple store. I think the public library would allow shots indoors as well.</p>

<p>A lot of touristy places like the Met are absolutely packed with people, and yes, many of them require a permit. They're also pretty ornery about you just showing up.</p>

<p>If you're concerned about rain, a couple of options I always keep in mind are the underside of Bethesda Terrace (Central Park), there is also a well-covered area in the Conservatory Gardens center section (the Italian portion) commonly called the Arcade, I think. There are a few covered gazebos in the park as well.</p>

<p>You could also look into renting a nice studio space if you're absolutely hard up for an indoor location. Be ready to pay, though.</p>

<p>Some churches might be able to accommodate you if you call around and ask.</p>

<p>Before you completely dismiss the outdoors, what kind of rain are you expecting? If it's light, you can actually use it to your advantage. Some of my most beautiful Central Park shots were on drizzly days when no one was around. I had Bow Bridge and several other prime locations completely to myself!</p>

<p>I don't think you can fit 20+ people for a group portraits near the openings under Bethesda Terrace, and well, I am not considering myself lucky when a bride agrees to shoot in the rain, it's her lucky she can get original pictures if she dares :) Anyway, we are not discussing possibilities where bride will agree to go somewhere near the rain except of running 2 meters between the car and the building. I personally do not care it rains or not, but some people do not want to ruin 20K dress :)</p>

<p>Michael was correct and very helpful in his answers. You should not be so rude to people who are trying to help. I don't know what kind of wedding your doing in NYC with 20 people bridal party and no indoor venue. Where is the reception? Most places have indoor areas. If you have no indoor venue the bethesda area of central park will be your only under cover (indoor) area you will be able to shoot and even then you will need park permission. No one is going to allow you to show up with 20 people to do an indoor shoot. You will defiantly need to seek permission first. </p>

<p>Michael, it is possible I was not clear enough, but I was not looking for a venue, but an indoor location to take portraits, the couple, the bridal party, the family etc. To me indoor and under cover are certainly completely different things that's why I didn't understand how is Bethesda Terrace is even connected here. Regarding permissions, I definitely know that Grand Central and Metropolitan Museum do not need any kind of permits for non-flash photography. Grand Central won't allow tripods (but who uses them anyway) and Met won't allow video which is a but of a problem. You don't need a permission for Central Park(except Conservatory Gardens) either if it's not an actual wedding ceremony and you have less than 30 people in the party.</p>

<p>I am not even talking about a specific wedding, just a standard church-portraits-reception workflow, most of my brides do not want to take portraits at the venue, but at some other locations, I am tired of Grand Central every time it rains, so am looking for alternatives :)<br>

I do apologize if I was rude.</p>

<p>No problem. I have been working in the city doing weddings for over 16 years and I totally understand your frustration. When it rains and yes i don't like it either you have no choice but to make the best out of the situation your in meaning you have to shoot at the venue. You look for nice nooks or flower arrangements or sometimes just a plain wall. It is what it is and no one will blame you. One some jobs i was fortunate to open double doors and shoot out towards the outdoors where it was raining and it looked beautiful. But knock on wood the rainy days come far and few inbetween. I am also fortunate to work and very high end venues so indoor areas to shoot are plentiful.</p>

<p>NYC is not easy if it is raining. Indoor locations that do not need prior permission or a permit are few and far between.</p>

<p>Were it raining and it was me, I'd shoot the bigger groups at the ceremony venue, and take the B&G to a couple of interesting indoor locations like the Plaza etc. It would be a lot easier to get away with than piling in with 20+ people and setting up a major group shot that would disrupt traffic flow at the location. A decent tip to the desk manager at some of the nice hotels goes a long way : -)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>WORLD FINANCIAL CENTER, large glass roof with water fountain and circular stairsteps (excellent natural light). <br>

call to check if still open to public for photography.<br>

this is not world trade center, but one block nearby.</p>

<p>I don't know if it's still nice inside, but there was a nice waterfall set up inside trump tower years ago when I was there. Also, just for the sake of curiosity, why would flash be unacceptable under Bethesda terrace (that's what I meant when I said Baltimore, I always mess up the name, both are in Maryland and start with B). I have seen plenty of photographers use flash under there, including myself. Are you a natural light photographer only? If it's that you just don't like the look of flash, you need to work on your flash technique because it can really be your friend not a foe. I get though that a bride may not want to schlep her way out to the terrace in a downpour. I think the idea of doing the bridal party shots near the venue and then taking the bride and groom to separate locations makes far more sense and you can get away with much more. </p>

<p>As far as tripods, I wouldn't ever make the claim on this forum that no one ever uses them any more. Particularly during formals in low light situations, they can be a VERY good friend. =)</p>