New York etc. FOUND FILM

gene m

Where's the grain on that recording film? The last shot is backwards, the exposure number reads wrong, and the knobs were "always" on the right on a TV, and the tuning knob is "always" on the right on a stereo receiver (casseiver in this case). That cassette-receiver dates it it squarely in the 1970's.

It's just possible that it wasn't recording film as I pointed out (Kodak Safety Film.) Another possibility is that processing it in HC110(H) for 9 and a half minutes may have produced less grain. Perhaps since the film is of unknown age its characteristics may have changed.<p>

I hope I've provided at least <i> one </i> plausible explanation for the missing grain you demanded to know about.

The only thing missing from the "Welcome to ... sign" photos is a picture of the car they were driving parked in front of the sign.

My Dad had a thing about making us stand in front of the car, parked in front of the sign. I guess that way people would know we didn't have to walk there.

Cool as always.

Gene,

This one has to be the best commentary you've done so far. The BHFC monologue is awesome.

The second series:

Is that Ronald Reagan in the '76 campaign when he lost to Gerald Ford? Looks to be too young for Reagan '80 or '84. Maybe an electronics geek among us can date the tape deck on top of the guy's TV set. The TV looks very '70s back when TVs were a piece of furniture made too look like the center piece of the living room. Of course the wood box had to match the English clock that sat on top before that space was claimed by the VCR.

I seem to recall my Brownie taking shots similar to the one of the man next to the canon, all blurry.

I grew up in the burbs and we didn't have organized boxing, but I did get a punching bag and gloves one year for xmas. The bag was on the end of a metal rod that was attached to a metal base plate you stood on to hold it on place. Dumb thing was awkward as hell.

Excellent job as always Gene. When you do get around to doing the book, I would like an autographed copy.

If the person using the camera is anything like me back in the 70's I bet he was bulk loading tri-x or something into salvaged canisters. If you went to a processor you could get them by the bucket load, and then carefully mix and match end caps to replace the ones they'd bent. Once you've found nice ones, you open them by banging them on the table, and they last for years.

Regarding the paper bag (or rock; I prefer paper bag because that designation contributes to the discussion I will now commence):

Perhaps it blew in from New York.

And in the next shot, where it has disappeared, perhaps it blew back to New York.

Or, perhaps our fine picture-snapping citizens decided to pick it up, put it in their car, and transport it to New York. Across state lines, I might add.

There. I said it.

Oh, and great work.

Interstate trafficking in stolen rocks..Call the FBI..No, call the EPA..NO, call the Agriculture Department..Who do you call??..What's the penalty??..

Great shots..Love your commentary..Made me laugh like an idiot!!That kid in the pants was REALLY going to nail the kid with his hands down..He was having a GREAT time..

Thanks for the photos..

Bruce