new weird behavior from LR

Recently, after upgrading to a nikon d810, LR6.13 (and prev) balk at loading images into the "work window." The bar at the bottom of the screen that shows the sequence of images will show some that appear corrupted, while others appear fine.1697283570_ScreenShot2017-11-05at10_00_17AM.png.dcb16690e8e7f6a33c4c759deabd441b.png

If I wait long enough, and sometimes that could be minutes and minutes up to forever, the image will appear. I can force the issue by selecting an image and zooming in...I will get the message "...loading..." and the image will come up fine. The next time I open LR other images may exhibit this behavior, or not.

It is not the data cards used. I am loading from a G Tech external drive, and I think it could be slow transport from the external drive. I have run disk Utility on it (OSX 10.9.5) and it tests fine. It could be my lack of adequate RAM???? (4gb) but I don't know and this behavior did not show with previous cameras--d700 and Sony RX100 II. Yes, they obviously have smaller files.

I can work around it, but it is an annoyance and consumes time.

I suspect that this is related to hardware, the ext drive, lack of ram, aging machine (2009 Core 2), but everything else, including video, works just fine. I really don't want to throw money at it without a good target. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

There is a pull down menu an check box in the LR import menu whether to create standard thumbnails and smart thumbnails, respectively. These take time and memory. There is a thumbnail embedded in RAW (and other) files which read immediately on import. Perhaps some are corrupted in your camera or during the transfer, and you see a delay while LR creates thumbnails.

You caN USE UTILITY MONITOR to se the status of RAM memory, disk drives and other devices.

It does sound like it is hardware related. I assume you are using a Windows machine, and Windows 7 or advance OS; if not, disregard the rest of this post.

Open the Resource Monitor (click Start and type Resource Monitor in the search window). When you open Lightroom, observe the CPU, disk activity and the memory use - especially the number of Hard Faults on the disk, which indicates paging to the disk - on the Overview tab of the monitor. This may give some clues where to look for the problem.

While in the monitor, see what your anti-virus program is doing. It might be contending for resources as Lightroom opens and reads many image files.

Next check the Windows error logs. Click Start, right click Computer on the right side of the popup window and select Manage > Event Viewer. Expand Windows Logs and examine both System and Applications logs. The logs may take some time to load depending upon the log size. Look for critical, warning, and error entries..

Not Windows; OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks)

It doesn't just show those corruptions on import. If I open a catalog, they can show up there also. The screen shot I sent is from a pr-existing catalog. I do not have any issue opening the images in preview on the mac. It seems pretty random which images are affected, and not the same ones every time, nor does it happen every time. I can force the images to load by clicking on them, bringing them up to the "work" window and clicking zoom. The image will then load and appear properly in the bottom sequence of images. It seems to happen more in the Library Module than Develop, but it happens in both.

Looks like this

1834302083_ScreenShot2017-11-05at4_05_41PM.thumb.png.6f958839f46350c1454eabd8d611efa9.png

then if I click on the work window image

next post...

Time to do some basic computer maintenance. Clean Mac Malware and Speed Up Mac - Download MacBooster 6 is a paid maintenance utility, its Windows counterpart is reliable, improves computer performance, and does no harm. Mac may have some built in utilities as well. All computers regardless of operating system need routine maintenance.

After the basic utility repair/reinstall Lightroom followed by software updates needed for the D810. Its possible that the installation became corrupt during the update.

Preferences should be looked at after the installation is verified to be good.

I have been doing that--the maintenance, not the reinstall, but I installed cleanmymac and it shows I am bottoming out my RAM. Like down to nearly 0 !

Did a bit of research and it appears conventional wisdom is at least 16 and 32 is even better---esp for large files. Ugh...well, Christmas is coming

Thanks all.