New Website suggestions

<p>I'm new to photo.net. I've read articles and forum entries on this site for years. However, right now I really need some feedback. Here's my <a href="/bboard/JeremyVan.com">site</a>. Am I on the right track with my portfolio website? I'm looking to start a business mainly shooting portraits of friends and family. However, I'm not sure if the feedback I'm getting from friends is reliable or not.</p>

<p>You are on the right track, but have a long way to go. You are correct in realizing that feedback from friends and family may not be reliable. The exception would be if one of them is an accomplished photographer.</p>

<p>What is the goal of this website? To share your images? or to bring in business? You say you are a portrait and event photographer, but you have 4 wedding pictures, and no formal portraits in the gallery.</p>

<p>The layout of the website is good. But for someone who brags that they have shot all over the world, your images aren't very diverse.</p>

Thanks Matthew. The goal is to both share my images and bring business. The problem with posting my

portrait work is that I don't have model releases. The same applies for much of my travel photography

which was taken while tdy in the Air Force. Right now I'm working on building up my portfolio with

images that I can legally use online. However, as far as everything else goes do you think that at least my

layout and front page photos are competitive? In other words if you saw my front page would you hire me

for a gig or pass me up?

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p>However, as far as everything else goes do you think that at least my... front page photos are competitive? </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Respectfully Jeremy, no, not at all. They're soft, noisy, poorly executed and processed, apparently <a href="http://jeremyvan.com/wp-content/gallery/blake_wedding/wedding-couple.jpg">out of focus</a> on occasion, with <a href="http://jeremyvan.com/wp-content/gallery/blake_wedding/first-dance-wedding-reception.jpg">broken white balance</a> in the wedding pics, and - bluntly - really unappealing.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In other words if you saw my front page would you hire me for a gig or pass me up?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>On the basis of these images, I'd definitely be looking elsewhere. I'm afraid that they <em>don't come clos</em>e to supporting how you describe yourself here:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My photography brings together military precision and a unique creative eye to capture stories one frame at a time. Although I’ve mastered digital tools I find that my greatest strength lies in my ability to get the photo right with the first press of the shutter </p>

</blockquote>