New Town @ Sydney

<p><br />I was in Sydney, Australia for a few weeks last month. We stayed in a suburb called New Town with our son and wife. New Town looks like it was built in the era of the Rail Road suburbs, full of Town Houses on 40 feet by 60 feet sites. Locally, they call the Town Houses as “Terrace Housing.” Many homes were split into two, down the middle; so each of these houses, now, is 20’x60’. Large families are almost absent here. Most homes are occupied by young professionals, perhaps with one baby or none. <br /><br />King Street and Enmore provide long Bazaars. These are full of ethnic eating places [every second or third shop is an eating place] spanning those from SE Asia to Mexico via India and the Mediterranean. I did not perceive any German, polish or Russian restaurants. Bias against Northern Europe! There are also many old book-shops and other antique dealers. I noticed an active Greek cultural center and a Buddhist meditation place. New Town seems to have renewed itself into and international community. Add to this the charm of the U of Sydney campus contiguous to the neighborhood.<br /><br />I was very ill throughout my stay and could take only health sustaining walks in the neighborhood. I was hoping to contact <strong>Tony Lockerbie</strong>; I missed out due to my illness. [i apologize <strong>Tony</strong>!] Somehow managed to take my camera along on my walks and make a few pictures. Just captured the ambience of the place, especially, near the cross-roads of Kingstreet and Enmore. It is kind of a clustering place as the underground metro train station is also located there.<br /><br />In all of five to seven Kilometres of Bazaar on both roads there was only one part time photo shop. He was selling some old cameras and some Kodak film. I enquired if he developed B&W. He said “yes” and that he would pay special attention for A$ 10.00 per roll. That seemed reasonable in their economy, as the minmum wage is A$16.50 per hour, I was told. In India I process B&W film at home for a cost $ 0.01 or less. [Of course, not counting my minimum wage and life-style compulsions.] Strangely, despite this minimum wage [it can provide easily two meals a day if one works one hour] I saw many people begging in the cross-roads junction. The welfare state does not seem to solve problems for some.<br /><br />I am posting the pictures without much commentary. I hope you enjoy the ambience.</p><div>00cD9X-543965884.jpg.f39bc7b7dd5ab8b230d2a2cc892ba04e.jpg</div>

<p>I used this old possession of mine. The Nova 1B has the same shutter mechanism as the Nova 1 and the Super TL. The B stands for the meter, a selenium one built-in but not coupled. I use this meter for a cross check with my guesstimates on the gray shades. The meter works still some five decades after it was made.</p><div>00cD9a-543966084.jpg.591373d473a957b1c5a40615d62a1238.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for sharing your trip to Sydney with us. I like the effect that the ORWO and the Praktica/Meyer bring to the scene in your accomplished hands.</p>

<p>I confess that it's sometimes hard to tell in your Bengaluru/Bangalore pictures which side of the road the drivers are driving on. These less-individualistic Aussies leave us in no doubt. ;)</p>

<p>Well, cheers for the unexpected; "SP does Sydney"! Your eye captures many of the same angles and compositions that we're familiar with from your Indian series, <strong>SP</strong>, and in some respects your images emphasize the similarities between the two cultures rather than the differences. I guess that traces of the older British culture lingers in both countries. I think you captured the "feel" of the suburb very well. Your comments about the high UV content of the light are revealing; I find the light too harsh for photography in the middle of a cloudless summer day and venture out only in the morning and evening. Once again, the Oreston does a fine job. I hope you're bouncing bac k to full good health, and many thanks for the post.</p>

<p>Wow SP, what do I see, photos from you in my own backyard! Well almost, Sydney is some 5 hours drive north from here and I avoid it at all costs these days!<br>

Shame you are not well and hope you are getting better. I would have loved to catch up with you, but never mind..maybe soon. Newtown is somewhat familiar as my wifes' family used to live in Drummoyne which is not far from there. I spend much more time in Melbourne these days as my daughter lives down there. But as I have stated, cities are best avoided...I'm a real country boy now!<br>

You are quite right about the intense light, not really much good for photography in the middle parts of the day, so I go out in the early AM usually.<br>

Ken, graffiti is pretty universal, especially in the inner city areas, but these are slowly becoming gentrified as prices rise.<br>

Very pleased to see a Praktica "down under".</p>

<p>Newtown is one of the oldest Suburbs in Sydney. <br>

Many (most) of the "Terrace Houses" would have been built be pre 1900, which is old, considering how young we are down here as a "colonized society". The roads are narrow, because originally the were built for horse and cart traffic.<br>

Newtown is now know for the artistic inclinations of the locals: many artists and actors live there and it sports many small venues for the arts, including drama and movie theatres where non mainstream productions can be viewed.<br>

Previously Newtown was typically a "blue collar" Suburb - the locals were trades people or dock workers etc, that was in the days when Mum would stay at home and raise the 7 kids. <br>

I am glad you enjoyed your visit.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>@Ken - ten or so years ago, when I took the train from Melbourne to Sydney, the graffiti started miles out, and continued right into the city centre. Sydney is more like New York, Melbourne has retained a [very little] bit more of the colonial outpost vibe.<br>

I remember reading somewhere that graffiti will flourish if no attempt is made to paint it over. When there's a persistent overpainting program, the graffiti tends to die out. Don't know if it's true, but the theory is that if there's a long term diligent effort to stamp it out, the "artists" move elsewhere.<br>

SP - thanks for the images and commentary. I look forward to your "slice of life" postings in B&W, and am glad to hear you are feeling better.</p>