new to team & individual sports photography

susie_todd

Hi!

I am new to taking sports team and individual photography. The middle school by my house graciously

said I could take all the sports at the middle school. While this is exciting, I am very nervous. My only

team that I took prior to was a high school golf team.

The teams I will shoot next week are baseball, softball and track. I have a canon 30D and my lens is 70-

200 IS 2.8. Will this be sufficient to take the team photo (track has about 40 kids). Also, any ideas for

team photos (lining up) as well as individual poses would be great. I plan to do all the shooting outside,

in a shady area & will use a external flash. What should my settings be set for the team photo to make

sure everyone is in focus. I've seen some team photos shot "straight on" and others from a ladder?

Thoughts on this.

Again, I am new to this forum and relatively new to sports photography. For the team photography (8x

10), wanted to put their individual photo on it. Just ordered some software from graphic authority.

I appreciate any and all feedback and if you can send examples, the better.

Thank you!

Susie

Hi Suzie,

You probably want to look at something wider than the 70-200 for the group shots especially if there are 40 people in one team. google memory mates and you'll find stacks of examples to create something from you'll also get a good idea of posing there as well.

My big tip especialy since it's your first time is to make sure you allow yourself time to get things right DON'T over book yourself stretch it out over a few weeks if you have to, quality will outshine quantity here and give you a better rep.

Outside stuff is probably the easiest way to start off most photog's do, however I went away from it a few years back and shoot in a mobile studio now to control the lighting better.

Up a ladder straigt on is up to you both have advantages but keep it simple first up you'll have enough to think about, carry back up equipment (spare everything) and get your workflow sorted before the event.

Keep in mind the following when looking at work flow:

1/ have a run sheet with teams etc and shoot a ref shoot before each team and portrait so you will know where you are at when it comes to post.

2/ Are these prepaid? if so get the cash flow set up first this will mean extra staff but it is crucial you get all the images you need especially if they are prepaid (ours are always prepaid) we use an evelope system with a bar code to ref players. a whiteboard with player name and team will work here.

3/ Make sure you get good shots, sounds simple but CHIMP CHIMP CHIMP and make sure you have the shot in the bank before moving on.

4/ set your product out if you are supplying packages have a number of sample sets to show what the customer gets especially if prepaid but either way it's important to show your products.

5/ have a good relationship with a league rep this will come in really helpfull if you run into problems on the day.

6/ Look at insurance things can and do happen be safe here.

7/ have staff who know what to do this means you will have to teach them remember you are taking shots so they will be talking to customers, make sure they know what they are talking about and more importantly what they selling. FAQ's list could be a good thread topic I'll start one.

8/ this is a really really brief overview I'm sure other will chip in with stuff that hasn't come to mind at the moment.

Relax and pre think everthing you want to focus on creating the best images you can and don't need to be stressed out over logistical things drop me an email and I'll send you some marketing pdf's that i use, they show package set outs etc and will give you an idea to start from.

Have fun i remember what it was like starting out, it can get overwhelming at times, people here are pretty cool and will generally offer advice that has taken us years to accumulate to help you out. Your better off being nervous than over confident nerves keep you on top of your game.

hope that helps a little.

cheers

Mark

Mark:

Emailed you regarding the marketing info - thanks so much!

What do you mean by a wider lens? I also have a fixed 50? I have always taken my kid's

and friend's kids sports photos so I'm a little ignorant. I just do it and it seems to have

worked, but now am getting a little nervous.

Any suggestions , also on settings ISO, shutter speed & aperature I should be working

with on individua/ teaml. Will look for shade.

appreciate the feedback - its people with experience not really help us beginners out.

Susie

>>> The teams I will shoot next week are baseball, softball and track. I have a canon 30D and my lens is 70- 200 IS 2.8. Will this be sufficient to take the team photo (track has about 40 kids). Also, any ideas for team photos (lining up) as well as individual poses would be great. I plan to do all the shooting outside, in a shady area & will use a external flash. <<<

I think FL 28mm prime on a 30D would be nearer the mark for 40 kids, 4 rows of ten, tiered, outside: 2 x 580ex diffused at 3 ft either side of the camera for flash fill.

50mm prime or the zoom set at around 70mm to 80mm for the individual half shot portraits: on bracket diffused or reflected Flash fill

Using the sun for backlight / hair light, is usually better than working in shade: in this regard the time of the shoot and the time it will take to complete, are important considerations.

You need Plan B: you do not control the weather.

WW

I would check with the school on insurance and background check requirements. I know here in Florida, if we do ANY work with the schools and students, we are required to have at least $1 million in Liability insurance and to have a background check.

As far as settings on the camera, it will vary depending on light. I personally wouldnt shoot in the shade. What we try to do is get in an area that represents that sport. Practice shooting in full sun with the flash used as fill. We shoot on the track for the track teams, on the basketball court for basketball, etc. It helps bring in elements of that sport into the picture. Also feel free to use props (hurdles, balls, etc.) to add elements to the image.

Another thing with sports is that the coaches can be very impatient. We find that a lot of them do not like using a lot of time for their team pictures. They feel it takes away from practice time. In any case, try to get your work flow set to be as fast as possible. Think of what pose you want to use ahead of time. I would think you could do the team and individual images within 30 minutes. Not everyone will order the individual pictures, so only shoot those that order. Do the prepay method and only shoot those that paid for the individual. This way you get done faster and everyone is happy.

As for lenses, you will need a wider lens (35mm, 24-70, etc)for the team pictures. If you do not have one, rent one. There are several online rental places that you can rent from and get within a day or two. The 70-200 will work well for the individual pictures.

Mark, I am also beginning on photographing school and competitive team sports. Would it be possible for you to also e-mail me some of the marketing pdf's that you use? I have a new Canon 40D to replace my Rebel and enjoy shooting outdoors (softball, football) and am learning how to get the right shot indoors (particularly cheerleading) with fast shutter & the best lighting. I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have on selling my photos. Right now I post all my photos on Smugmug.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Mark:

The shoot went really, really well. Thanks for all the great tips! I shot about 150 kids. Didn't

read the post before about only shooting those that paid - my thought was that if they

forgot their $, I wouldn't have to go back to shoot, etc. I'm sure I'll get faster with post

processing once I get my work flow down pat, but wanted to take my time and get it right.

All went well - thanks for asking.