New (to me) RB67, how do I get the shutter to work?

scott_buckler

I made my leap into MF and bought a RB67, I have ordered a owners manual for it

and it is on its way to me in the mail but last night I was looking at the

camera... cocked the lever on the side of the camera... pushed the button on

the front of the camera... and nothing happens.

I checked that post from 2004 and I did toggle the mirror up button but still

no shutter.

The camera appears to be in excellent condition but I bought it off eBay so I

would like to know if I am doing something wrong or did I buy a defective

camera.

Am I missing a step?

Thanks,

Scott

Your problem is most likely caused by the following:

an RB67 wont 'fire' unless the safeties on the film back are released. These are small chrome 'catches' on the right side of the film back itself - held in place by the dark slide. If you want to dry-fire your camera, either remove the film back entirely, or (and this is what I do), slide the darkslide out just enough to release those catches, but not enough to expose your film.

Also make sure you have the safety for the shutter release set appropriately (turn the flanged circular housing around the button).

Good luck

Thanks!

This form is a fantastic resource for this for this spoiled 35mm photographer (focus camera? push button? look, Oog make pretty picture) trying to change my ways.

The camera appears to have been used very lightly and is in excellent condition. I must say it is a beautiful piece of equipment, it is like a work of art!

I think someone mentioned a good Mamiya repair person in Los Angeles (hopefully I won?t need him) but if someone could get me their contact info it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Scott

I agree the 90 C and the 180C are great, i also have the 65 C its pretty good too, and the 127 C, its an all around great system. good luck. btw you can download the manual from the mamiya web site. its for the pro s version but there is not much difference

Welcome to medium format. You will fall in love with the RB system; it's amazing and dirt cheap nowadays. Cautions ... wear gloves when handling the negatives ... otherwise you will cut yourself on the sharp details in the film ... so amazingly detailed, that they are nearly lethal (humor there). For manuals try http://www.mayia.com or http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya.htm .. these two sites will provide virtually every manual you could want. The latter is a donation site, the first free. If you ever have needs just ask here, this community is at once smart, hands on info equipped and most kind! Even an old fart like me learns something whenever I log on. Now if I could just find a tall, blonde, Swedish model to be my Mamiya gear pack mule :-) ... happy shooting ... Jim M.

It Lives!

I uploaded the pdf instructions and made a donation... you all are right, pulled the dark slide and rotated the multiple exposure dial so the red dot shows and it works just fine.

I bought the whole setup, factory hard side case, 90mm C and 180mm C lens, prism and waist level viewfinder, three 120 backs, and one Polaroid back.

I do a lot of landscape and want to get a wide angle len, any comments on the 65mm C Vs the 50mm? Did they make a 50mm C?

Thanks again!

Scott