New to me Hasselblad, April 1st 2010

russ_britt3

<p>Hi, I just bought a Hasselblad 500 CM with 6 lenses for $175 on ebay, was this too much money, sounds like a lot to me.<br>

Well I noticed that there is no viewing screen on the camera, how the heck are you supposed to see what you just shot?<br>

Also the auto focus does not seem to work at all, all in all these cameras are very over rated I think.<br>

I can not even find a port to down load image from what the heck is that all about. Its too heavy and hurt my little hands while I hold it, wish it was all plastice like all my good cameras are.<br>

Some one told me you had to put film in it to, whats up with that?<br>

Well I cant believe anyone would be so stupid as to design a sorry camera like this........<br>

On now the stupid camera is locked up......... a major flaw I understand.</p>

<p>Please help me.......<br>

another question , whats a light meter?</p>

<p>Russ,<br>

Yeah, I feel you pain. I actually recently a really nice point-n-shoot that you could try, it will probably work better for you. Next time you're on ebay see if you can get an "Mamiya RB67": you can't go wrong with its portability.</p>

<p>Russ,<br>

I understand your problem, so here is my offer. I'd take the awkward Hasselblad and the six useless lenses from you in exchange for my Holga. That one is all you want, lightweight plastic and never mind about that light meter, it will guess the light for you!<br>

Christoph</p>

<p>Don't worry Russ, it sound like you just need to update the firmware to the latest version. One sure way to know if you need the update is to check and see if the image on the focusing screen appears reversed (backwards). The latest patch will fix this and all the other problems you are experiencing</p>

<p>Oh, and about that "lock-up"... it's not a probelm but a 'feature'. The lock-up feature automatically engages whenever your camera is pointed at images that are not well composed or images of people that you should get a release from. Once your composition is good or you have that release in hand, the lock-up feature disengages.</p>

<p>This reminds me of one of my favorite postings on Photo.net... A supposed dialogue sometime in the future:</p>

<p>

<p >"Remember what photography was like before digital?"</p>

<p >"Before?"</p>

<p >"Yeah, you know. Back when photos were taken on film."</p>

<p >"You mean it changed?"</p>

<p >"Yeah, pictures were on paper instead of computer screens."</p>

<p >"You mean like a painting?"</p>

<p >"Not really. You still used a camera, but there was no computer. The picture just went straight from film to paper."</p>

<p >"Don't be stupid. You can't use a camera without a computer."</p>

<p > </p>

<p >(By Hal B in this thread: <a href="../film-and-processing-forum/00Uize?start=130">http://www.photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00Uize?start=130</a> )</p>

</p>

<p>To be honest I kinda got most of these question from the new hasselblad purchasers of today.<br>

Example:<br>

About a year ago there was a post.....I bought a hasselblad and my pictures are bad, should i buy a different camera......I answered , I bought a hammer and it did not build a house, I guess I should have bought a different tool....</p>

<p>I guess that was ugly, but these people are starting out with equipment that years ago people bought kinda after they had reached a peak in their knowledge about photography. And it really chaps my you know what when all these arm chair photographers talk about the Hasselblad jams, they are 98% of the time operator error...<br>

But anyway hope everyone had a safe and fun Aprils fool day.....</p>

• 2 weeks later...