New (to me) D7100 vs my D7000

ross_lipman

<p>I recently purchased a used D7100 body + 18-140 VR lens for about what the body is worth. Everything is immaculate and looks like the shutter has been used less than 3k. Same seller has a Nikon 85mm prime that I may purchase as well.</p>

<p>The D7100 replaces a D7000 that I was never quite happy with. The D7000 delivered fewer tack sharp photos than I was used to achieving from previous Nikon bodies (D70-80-90). Exposure was fine overall, and sometimes a bit under- which I prefer so I can adjust in Lightroom. I never attempted to adjust the AF and decided to leave it as is. I felt I could live with the % of focus issues because low light performance was much better than I expected. I consider my ability to be the equivalent of an advanced amateur and I photograph a few events per year just for fun or as a volunteer. Often I found myself fighting the camera to get acceptable images. I have not had that issue since before I upgraded from a P&S to the D70. I have followed the various threads regarding the shortcomings of this body and I tend to agree that something was not quite right in the basic design. Too many people have come forward with issues for the problems to be pure "user error". Many had reported out of focus or focusing issues when using a full automatic setting. All that said, I have captured some great images with this body, but either I was lucky, or I spent a good bit of time in post processing.</p>

<p>From the first photo, the D7100 has been what I was looking for. Tack Sharp (even with the kit lens) and perfect exposure. I am still learning all of the settings for the body, but this may be the one that keeps me from upgrading for awhile ! I have used it to photograph items for sale. Photo conditions varied from natural light, to incandescent to flash. Other than cropping, images have required minimal post processing. Focus, exposure, balance, saturation have been spot on. I expect to use it for a family event in the near future. It will be interesting to see my results after taking a few hundred pictures at the event.<br>

<br />I realize that the D7100 has been replaced by the D7200, but Nikon has a winner in the D7100.<br>

<br />Just my thoughts and opinions- others may differ.</p>

<p>My wife has a D7100, and it certainly seems to work well. I went cheapskate and got the D3200 because I have no investment in older AF lenses which she does. But if it gets cheap enough, I might just have to bite. I would not mind a D3200 with the D7100 AF and viewfinder! </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm not going to contest your findings, but the struggle with the D7000 - I wonder how/if the D7100 really makes that easier, <em>assuming both bodies are in fine working order</em>. I went from a D80 to a D300 (in most ways, the same AF module as the D7100) and found it costed me a year to really get the 'best' from this AF system. In its default settings, it is far from optimal. The D7100 will not be much different in this respect (i.e. the AF settings for tracking quickly moving items are vastly different from the defaults).<br>

The D7000 'suffers' the same: its AF system is more complex than what the D80 and D90 had, which threw off a lot of users in the first months after its launch. There IS a lot of user error, the AF Auto mode is not much good (in any body), and there seems to be too much expectation that the AF system takes care of things for you. Instead it needs user input: you have to set it up according to needs. Yes, the AF system of the D7000 is inferior to the D7100, but not as terrible as the internet likes to say. There is an excellent sensor in the D7000 which isn't outperformed vastly by the newer generation, if at all, and the differences for metering etc. between the two bodies are minimal.</p>

<p>Of course, I am happy you found the camera that works well for you, and gives you the results you're after. But at the same time, I wonder whether the settings of your D7000 have been less than ideal, or the body had some issue, as the results between these two cameras should be very comparable. The only real difference is the AF, but that doesn't affect tonality, saturation and so on at all.</p>

<p>The D7000 has 9 cross type AF points which are the most accurate. If you only use those, you should not have any AF difficulties with the D7000, at least that was my experience with it for the 1 year that I owned one. But I am aware that there are some D7000s that perform less than optimally in the AF dept.</p>

<p>If you have a D7000 and are using only the 9 cross type AF points and are experiencing AF issues, you should send the body to Nikon for service.</p>

<p>The D7100 is currently available refurbished for only $700 and considering what you get, it is an absolute bargain.</p>

<p>I've been shooting the D7000 for several years now, I don't have an issue with focus that the camera would give me, the only issue would be me in getting out of focus pic's. I'm not saying that the focusing of the D7100/D7200 aren't better, they obviously are, just saying that the D7000 can and does shoot sharp images.</p><div>00dKGL-557049584.jpg.603f7584cf1f306941363ee9161a03c7.jpg</div>

<p>I'm so glad I stumbled on this post earlier.<br>

Having had a D7000 for around 6 months, I can honestly say, it's been a struggle every time I've used it. No matter the setting, lighting and target, I have rarely been able to get shots, that are sharp. To me something just wasn't right with it. I sent it back to Nikon explaining my problems, they sent it back having had a service etc. Still the images just didn't look in focus. As a designer, I've used many cameras and would class myself as an experienced amateur.<br>

<br />I was taking photos of my son this morning with the D7000 in bright sunlight, perfect settings and they just came out, out of focus and massively dissapointing... in my temper i boxed her up and headed into town to p/x it for a used d7100 they had in stock.<br>

<br />When I got home, my son was still outside and the sun was still shining, i fired off a couple of shots and ran to my computer, the difference between the two was night and day. The images from the D7100 were crisp, clean and exactly exposed as I had set the camera to capture.<br /><br /><br>

For my sanity, if anything.. this was worth the £200 extra I paid.<br>

<br />I have a colleague who uses a D7000 for work and swears by it.<br>

<br />So, until a D4s hits my lap... the D7100 is staying!</p>