New (to me) Canon FT and a question

rwbowman

<p>I bought a Canon FT and three FL lenses at an estate sale yesterday. All the pieces look clean, no fungus, minimal dust. There is a problem, though: the mirror sticks up with film in the camera, but not when the camera is shot "dry." The mirror lock lever is not in the lock position. It's not that I'll use the camera for other than fun, but I'd like to know what might be going on. Any suggestions appreciated!</p><div>00eEKB-566375484.thumb.JPG.d7a3b037cd5364526402fbdf7f8752c0.JPG</div>

<p>It’s just a coincidence that the mirror sticks in the up position when there’s film in the camera. Ed’s right, mirror foam is the first place to look. It can deteriorate and get sticky with age. Mirror foam is easy to replace and you can do so yourself if you want. If mirror foam is not the issue, try dry-firing the camera numerous times. Maybe the internal gearing is sticky from lack of use. FT’s are about 50 years old now, so stuff can happen.</p>

<p>Ed and Jim +1 on the sticking. Work with this very carefully so as not to get the gunk on the mirror or finder, especially.<br /> replacement foam is sold widely, eBay has kits, sometimes precut for specific models, but not a problem if not precut.<br /> To keep the "period" strap, cut out some soft leather to fit over the camera 'nub' attachments to prevent direct rubbing...</p>

<p>It's a nice grab, fix the foam and give it some exercise, and it should last a long time still.</p>

<p>Hmm, definitely check the mirror bumper for stickiness. But I vaguely remember a thread from a few months ago about a camera which worked correctly without film, but fouled up when film was inserted. I think the conclusion was that the film was causing just enough drag in the mechanism to inhibit operation. If it doesn't improve it might be worth removing the base plate and lightly lubricate any gears, pivots, levers, sliders etc under there. Also very carefully indeed, and sparingly, any pivots of the mirror mechanism visible within the mirror box itself.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your suggestions. As you suspected, the mirror is sticking up during dry shooting, was just a coincidence that it didn't. Dry firing repeatedly didn't seem to help. I'll check out the mirror foam angle.</p>

<p>And yes, Mukul Dube, the mirror does go back up when advancing the film and cocking the shutter. What might this indicate?</p>

<p>I enjoy handling the FT, a hefty piece of kit. Also, when those hippy straps were popular, I hated them with a passion. But now that I have one, it seems especially fitting on the FT. </p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>Robert Bowman: <em>And yes, Mukul Dube, the mirror does go back up when advancing the film and cocking the shutter. What might this indicate?</em><br>

It tells us that the mechanism is functioning properly. However, the deteriorating foam should be replaced before it makes a mess.</p>

<p>Actually, removing the mirror foam particles is no big deal. Take a Q-tip, soak it with alcohol from the dugstore and gently swipe across the remnants of the mirror foam. Make sure that nothing falls onto the focusing screen should you hold the camera upside down. Replacing the mirror bumper with new material might be a bit trickier, but perhaps you have somebody to help you so that you do not have to pay a lot for something that actually takes about 10 minutes with material worth less than 5 bucks.</p>