New to Forum & Have Question

<p>Hello<br>

I am new to the forum... :)<br>

I have very recently (this week) upgraded my photography equipment..serious move for me. I had a Canon Rebel (100D) with a couple of lenses and moved up to the 6D and bought the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 lens....(couldn't stretch another £900 to the Canon version!!) but did read great things about this lens and happy with it.<br>

Question on the Tamron lens (sorry if this isn't the right forum but couldn't find a specific lens section so figured this would be a start).<br>

No issue with the camera functions and smooth transition from one to the other. The lens, however, has a learning curve for me. I took some shots this morning of my daughter, just while she sat in the room, practising with the aperture, which I had set at 2.8....I felt like it was giving me just too much bokeh...I was focusing on her face but felt like there was just too much blur.<br>

It was on AF....I wondered if there were general rules of thumb with a lens of this type when you can get such a wide aperture....for example if I am doing an outdoor family shoot, when a wide aperture will be great, will I need to decrease the aperture somewhat....<br>

Any tips would be appreciated as never used a lens like this before...and sorry if these seems terribly obvious - thank you!<br>

Shelley </p>

<p>if you can predict results from your previous kit do the format conversion math and keep in mind that you have to close your aperture one stop further to get the same result with your 6D.<br>

If you don't have a usable DOF scale on your AF zoom (most of them lack one) hit an online DOF calculator to back your impression with numbers. <br>

With a wide open lens focus is a hit and miss issue. - Does the 6D permit micro adjustments to calibrate it to yyour lens? - tutorials should be online... I'm using different gear myself and sometimes have trouble nailing focus and DOF with my 90mm f4.<br>

I would not know how to arrange a family - thats 2+x people? - in a way to get more than one in focus at f2.8. <br>

I haven't looked at Canon cameras for ages. Do they still come with DOF automatic ("Depth" setting) like the early EOS film bodies?</p>

<p>Hello Shelley and welcome to Photo.net. Congratulations on your new equipment purchase.<br>

I could begin by asking you a lot of questions regarding your focus settings, etc., but instead I'm going to suggest you experiment yourself with different aperture settings. Have your daughter, or any other subject, pose for you while you take several similar shots while adjusting the aperture for each, beginning with 2.8 and moving through the range. Everything else remaining the same you will see how the bokeh changes with each setting when you review them later on your monitor. <br>

You said you were 'focusing on her face but felt like there was just too much blur'. So, I'm assuming here that her face was sharp in the image and the blur you refer to was the background or out-of-focus areas. Again, nothing will teach you faster than actual experience with the equipment.<br>

Posting a shot always helps too! Good luck.</p>