good educational websight with pictures and diagrams for setting

lights(since I have only done this with betacams).....I would like to

keep the light set around 500 or 600 hundred to start....but I

already have 2 softbox's and may umbrellas and stands because I work

full time as a videographer for PBS.

thanks

thanks

Vince,

Sounds like you have access to quartz lighting. If your softboxes are designed for hot lights then look at Lowell totalights and DP lights. You should be able to pick up a few quartz lights for around $600.

As you well know, being a videographer, hot lights are more about heat than light output but they can be used to get you started.

If you want to do still photography with studio lighting, strobes are the best choice but they'd be considerably over your budget for professional quality power packs and heads.

B&H has a lighting catalog with a tutorial section in the back. B&H and Calumet also sell lighting books and videotapes.

Check out Scott Smith's <a href="http://www.lightingmagic.com" target="_blank">Lighting Magic<a/> Web site. Most of his images link to a lighting diagram and description of how the image was made. Buy his Basic Studio Lighting book....let me repeat that...buy the book. It will answer 99% of all the questions you might have in the first 6 months of shooting and many questions after that. Scott is very personable and dedicated to helping people learn studio photography (esp. those who buy his books). He'll even look at your photos and tell you what you need to do to improve them and answer questions on the phone. It's a very well spent $40 and he'll answer your questions about lights.

<p>BTW, if you're in a rush look around for some used Novatrons.. you don't need big powerful lights, a basic 3 light kit will be plenty to get you started and you can always add more later when you need it.