New text editor for photo.net forums...yes it's WYSIWYG!

Discussion in 'Photo.net Site Help' started by joshroot, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Within the next hour or two, you should be seeing a new text editor on photo.net. It's a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor that will eliminate the need to know HTML to post stuff. This is a pretty big deal for photo.net and long overdue. However, please bear with us. As with anything new, it won't be perfect and there will likely be some glitches. Yes, I will create a tutorial that we can point people to, but for the moment, we are going to be flying blind. Though to anyone who has used other forum software, it is pretty self explanatory. I will just note a couple of things here: -You must have javascript enabled. The editor won't work if you have it turned off. -To make a link, you must first enter text, then highlight the text, and then click the "link" button. Some forum software allows you to click the link button, then enter the link location and the text to be linked. At least for the moment, this software does not. Though we are looking into it because that would be a better solution. -Yes, you can still enter your own HTML if you feel the need. Just click the "html" button on the far right. -Insert image is just like using the [​IMG] HTML tag. You need to provide a URL where the image exists. If the image isn't hosted online anywhere, you can still upload an image to your post after the confirm page, same as always. -I know that some folks insert HTML to images hosted places like flickr using the HTML that flickr gives you to embed the image. If you want to do this, you are going to have to use the "html" button to make it work. -The new editor is NOT a part of the no-words forum at this time. It's a different system in that forum. And hey, you aren't supposed to be writing words in the "no words" forum anyway. Anyway, like I said, please be patient. Report problems here or to me via the "contact photo.net" link at the bottom of the page.
    00Ri6N-95271884.jpg

2. Can you do HTML other than the options listed? My main use of HTML on photo.net is tables.

3. You should be able to do any HTML you would have been able to do before.

That having been said, there shouldn't be too much more HTML that people are putting into forums. I'm sure we've missed a few things that a few members will want. And there are probably a couple special applications where people might like to use a different tag (like your table example). But in my experience, what is there is what 99% of users need.

4. I know that this is a HTML 'text editor' for the most used functions. Not sure how this will impact on those that use or need the Spell Check function perhaps coming from their chosen browser. Was there any chance of a spell-check function being incorporated in 'our' text-editor here? Just a thought!

5. There is a chance for a spellcheck. I'm not sure why it isn't in there.
    I'll look into it.

6. Golly gee . Fantastic . Where is the correct within a period of time function? (just kidding, Josh, I know it'll get here when it gets here.)
    Is the insert picture feature working yet? Or do you have to put in link to the picture and then choose the insert button, or some such?

7. There seems to be something wrong with the "link' and "insert image" buttons. Jin is working on it.

8. This is a test.
    Damn right is it.

9. Actually, if you look, you should see an "edit" button next to your posts for ten minutes after you make them.
    I'm just trying to deal with one thing at a time.

10. Oops, I just reread the above instructions. It may just be attention deficit syndrome on my part....

11. Testy is testing things.

What I mean is: You had best represent!

12. That's even more fantastic news about the timed editor. That'll be really nice, and I can wait for it. Just very appreciative.

13. JDM, you aren't seeing the "edit" link next to your post? I am seeing it on both my "Josh Root" and "Testy" accounts.

14. Folks, while I just announced the text editor in this thread, a bunch of stuff went live. So please be patient while we work it all out.
    It's friday night, I'm supposed to be paying attention to my wife (and I'm sure Jin is as well). We'll do our best to keep an eye on things. But some stuff may have to wait.

15. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

I'm supposed to be paying attention to my wife (and I'm sure Jin is as well)
    Jin is paying attention to your wife?

16. Errrrr.....yes. She's very demanding you see.
    No, of course Jin is probably paying attention to his wife.

17. As I say, I can wait --certainly until next week--but no. Up to now I am still not seeing the edit button.
    I'm running right now on FireFox 3.04 on Mac OS 10.5.6 on a G4 machine. My other desktop is an Intel one running the same system and browser. I'll try it later.
    Here goes....
    YES Now it is there. Fantastic. If I were my labrador retriever I'd probably wet the floor....

18. Can someone check and see if this thing is working in IE7? That browser always gives us fits.

19. firefox here 3.0.4

1. Nice
    2. Very nice
    3. Sweet
    This will make things a lot smoother. Cool beans dudes.

20. This will make things a lot smoother.​
    That's what I am hoping.

21. Josh, on IE7 I cannot even type in the box, page never finishes loading. I get an error on page message.
    Line:76 Char:2 Error: Access is denied. Code: 0 URL: http://www.photo.net/site-help-forum/00Ri6N
    Good news (for me) is that Firefox works and that is my prefered browser.

22. It doesn't suck much .
    This will mean:
    • Excessive use of bullet points;
    • The begining/end/middle of Western/Eastern/Minor League Civilization
    • Gratuitous Alice Cooper videos (if someone figures out a workaround for embedding from YouTube)

23. Crap, that was what I was afraid of.
    Thanks Michael, I'll send a 911 note to Jin. I'm glad we did this on a friday night when posting is slow.

24. Ah, I couldn't trick it into embedding Alice Cooper's "Halo of Flies". Thank goodness, Minor League Civilization is safe for another day.

25. I'll keep checking back to this post at least for the next hour or so to see if you need more testing. No promises after that, I've spent the last two nights doing after hours IT work at my day job already.

26. Michael,
    Jin is working on it. But I can't speak to his timeframe. Thanks for the offer though.

27. IE 7 and XP will not even let me put a cursor in the box. Safari seems to work fine first try.

I enabled the Java Scripting , in fact it already was.

I really don`t want to use my Mac for surfing.

28. Now you don't have to be an HTML genius to make text bold!

29. Ronald,
    I promise you that this is being worked on. We have no intention of blocking IE7 from the forums (no matter how much I hate it).

30. jsc

jsc

IE7 works now. Apparently it doesn't like loading javascript from a different server as the one that's serving up the page. I'm writing this in IE7.

31. Now also working for me. Nice work Jin!

32. Now IE is working for me also (in the interm I tried FireFox: it was fine). Still one beef: could the font in the composition window be bigger? Say same size as rest of page?
    Hey, it's still *half* broke. All the buttons at top dissapeared upon my starting to type this message.

33. jsc

jsc

Still tweaking things a little bit. Should be done in about ten minutes. Let me know if you're still seeing problems then. Also, if things aren't working properly please try holding down the Shift key and clicking the button.

34. I do not experience the "Dissapearing" buttons. The "Insert\edit Link" button goes grey until I select text as noted above, but no vanishing happening here.

35. This is a disaster at my end. see this thread http://www.photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00Rb8S to see the results of my posts. In summary, the update button produces random text changes and spaces, and then the text in the update panel at the bottom is truncated. Also significantly slowing the page scrolling and mouse operations on the page. I'm using windows IE7 and have NoFlash installed which blocks flash from running.

36. Google Chrome on Black XP

37. Bernie, I noticed some oddities when I did my first update to a post with IE7 too. I closed IE7, emptied my temp files, and reopended IE and have been fine since. Hopefully that simple fix will work for you too. IE7 is touchy about cached files.

38. Bernie,
    I think that is just a glitch from the previous IE7 issue and it being resolved. Others are posting fine so unless this pops up again, I'm going to say it was a glitch.

39. The buttons are working now, not disappearing ;)
    Still would be nice if the text were a bit bigger.
    Something else odd, at least when composing: each carriage return looks like a double return. Maybe that's by design, per the photo.net policy of converting single carriage return to double?
    Edit:
    I really like the post-posting Edit feature. How long does that apply, ie: 10 minutes, half hour?<Ok, see the answer above.
    Also, nice to see Confirm and Update buttons side-by-side.

40. One odd thing: If I edit my response and click return to thread, I see only my response. F5 doesn't help. Re-entering the thread does fix it.

41. If I edit my response and click return to thread, I see only my response.​
    Another glitch. I'm aware of it, but it's not a "has to be done friday night" type of thing.

42. Something else odd, at least when composing: each carriage return looks like a double return.​
    One of my goals when doing this was that we get it set up so that there were both single and double [CR] abilities. So far this is the best we have been able to do. It works, but looks weird when typing. We may have to live with it.
    Still would be nice if the text were a bit bigger.​
    I'm hoping to get this fixed in short order.

43. great stuff. Thanks

44. I appreciate the help

45. Josh, please don't feel a need to respond to all my observations: just trying to give feedback, beta test. The single carriage return "behaving" is nice, cuts the length of lists in half ;)
    Again, in the catagory of things you likely already know about: "nsert image" isn't working.

46. Should this new editor just be turned off until the bugs are worked out? Here's what my attempted output to another thread looked like after about 3 edits, in another thread. I just gave up and did not post it. Note, there were words beyond the truncated end, and there weren't gaps in the words. I don't think this editor is anywhere near ready:
    Robert,
    &n bsp; The more specific you can get about what's wrong, the more helpful answers wil l be.
    & n bsp;What in particular is different with th is film ? Is there a color c ast? And if so, which direction is it off? Are the results too dark? Too light? What settings are you using? Have you tr ied alte rnate software?
    < p>&n bsp;Al so, post some examples: scans you are ha p p y wi t h, vs this pro blem roll. < /p>
    Do loo k into Vues can, i f j us t t o see what another approach yields.< /p>
    B T W, I hav e one roll of color negative film that is giving me fits , same scanner being used. My raw scans from this one are severly underexposed, for some reason, and outp ut i mages are coming out too green/blue, and f lat looking . I 'm using Super Advanced Wor

47. Mendel, what thread was that. It looks like you switched it back to plain text from HTML when editing.

48. Here is a test on my Intel Mac, running same system and OS as the G4 laptop.
    [​IMG]
    Hmm, my link to a picture doesn't seem to work. Otherwise all ok.

49. This thread:
    http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00RiIH?unified_p=1
    I didn't post it. Also, I didn't intentially switch modes, but I agree: it looks like that's what's happening.
    I pushed the Submit button, then reviewed, editted and pushed the Update button, several times. I believe this is a factor.
    In between Updates I went from single carriage returns, to double, and then back to single. That alone seemed to really mess it up. Each Update created an increasingly "mushed" result. There was text beyond what-you-see. I think the editor got confused as to the number of characters that were in the thread, and chopped of the end.
    The displaced spaces and chop-off of the end of my posting seems to be aggravated by a breaking-up of wrap when using the Update button. This is something I noted in an earlier post I started. Each time you Update the wrap appears more messed up in the edit window.
    Maybe shut this thing down, till it's debugged a bit better?

50. A question that's on my mind:
    Why can these guys (for example), make it so easy:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/index.php
    Since so many sites have the same, or similar, posting format to the above, I would assume this is off-the-shelf software at work, widely available, debugged and bullet-proof.
    I would further assume there is some reason photo.net does not simply go to something like this, some legacy reason. Am I right on that?

51. Here often I have to relog on to photo.net for comment on a thread ; using Opera 9.61 where java seems to not be installed well. Ofetm one gets a "man of few words" comment when one hits submit; thus one has to write to wordpad ; or loose ones post. In several cases when one hits submit; its gets posted with no preview; then the edit doesnt work. Thus here I am going to have to try some other computers; since the good road feel is now gone.

52. Mendel,
    Yes, there are reasons for everything we do. We're not fools and we don't just do things for the hell of it. Jin is the best programmer that I have ever worked with. If he says this is how we do something, this is how we do it.
    Photo.net's system is old and a little weird. It's nothing at all like the "forum in a box" vB or IPB systems you may use on other sites. This has advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that we can do anythin we want for the most part. The disadvantage is that there is nothing "off the shelf" that works for us. We have to create almost everything from scratch, and that is always going to cause a few bugs. The photo.net forums have personality and style, they are also a little funky. We are working to add funtionality that users will find useful, but the process isn't always going to be smooth. If that is too much for anyone, I'm sorry, but you are probably going to be happier posting on a different site. Life isn't perfect and god knows photo.net isn't either.
    We do our best, but there are always going to be bumps in the road.

53. Kelly,
    Opera is one of those browsers that gets overlooked until we get everything straightened out with the big three browsers (IE, FF, Safari). There just aren't the critical mass of people using it like there are with the others.

54. Josh, it would seem that you have the problem with IE7 straightened out. In case you didn't know that already.

55. "We're not idiots"
    Come on Josh, I was definitely not saying that: I though my last sentence would have explained. I appreciate this is a trying time...

56. Thanks curtis, always glad to have user reports to check on stuff.
    Jin posted last night that he thought he had it straightened. Something about IE not likeing javascript to be running on a different server than the page was being served from.
    Anyway, it should be working.

57. Hi Josh; I am redownloading Java to see if things get straightened out. Here I am, not the best speller or typer:) either. In 6th grade in tested in as about 3rd in english and college level in sciences ; thus the old brain has some balance issues. The top total total bombshell of a girl in highschool was to my left in 10th grade typng :) class; she was at machine gun typing speeds while I was looking for each key. It wasnt until I started to use computer "terminals" and hollirith card punch machines that I could really start to type at all!

58. Hi Josh,
    I am unable to post using the new editor from my machine running Windows 2000 SP4 with IE 6 SP1, both with the latest security patches applied.
    I am posting this message using my Significant Other's machine which is running Vista and IE7. Since I was unable to post to this forum with my machine, I sent you e-mail with the particulars. To summarize, I can enter a subject, but I cannot type in the message body. I get a permission denied error; in my case Line:1 Char:57 Error: Permission Denied Code: 0
    I am sure I am not the only person having this difficulty, but it is impossible to tell you of the problem if one cannot post, except by sending e-mail (you probably have a box full).
    Thanks.

59. With Win2000; Opera 9.61 and now Java "Sun Java Runtime Environment version 1.6" one can psot if one does a refresh; drops canned already written text into the "old type posting window" and hits submit; BEFORE the new toolbar appears. Once it appears it seems the submit button is off.

60. Test post using IE emulation tab within FF 2.x. Not seeing the new WYSIWYG editor... hmm...

61. ...and back to Zorro del Fuego 2.x...
    Odd, from within IE emulation tab the WYSIWYG editor appeared only *after* submitting post, but it wasn't possible to actually use it to edit the post. The "edit" feature appeared, but no text was apparent to be edited.
    Dunno if that's an indication of an IE 6.x bug, or just Firefox's IE emulation feature.
    Working fine in normal FF 2.x tabs tho'.

62. Interesting. - I can post with a blackberry 8330 and its goober browser. But it doesn't work with opera mini

63. jsc

jsc

Brooks, please try again in a few minutes. I've extended my earlier MSIE7 fix to cover all versions of IE.

64. Hi Jin,
    It works now. Thank you very much.

65. Mendel Leisk [​IMG][​IMG], Dec 06, 2008; 10:15 a.m.
    Should this new editor just be turned off until the bugs are worked out?​
    I agree. This is poor programming form (I feel I can say this as I am a web programmer myself, and test sites on as many platforms and configurations as possible before releasing it to the public). If you need any help, I can pitch in. Cheers.

66. Folks, while I just announced the text editor in this thread, a bunch of stuff went live...It's friday night...​
    You guys are some brave, brave people pushing new software to the live server on a Friday!

67. Nice improvements, thanks .... I'm even tempted to renew my subscription. Larger text in the editing box is important to me, especially when applying formatting AC

68. david_henderson

david_henderson www.photography001.com

I'm running IE6 too and have been communicating the same problem via e-mail. Its fine now. Thanks

69. I agree. This is poor programming form (I feel I can say this as I am a web programmer myself, and test sites on as many platforms and configurations as possible before releasing it to the public)​
    Yeah Bernie, so do we. But you must know, as a web programmer yourself, that there is a world of difference between a test group of users and a couple hundred thousand pounding something at once.
    We do our best, but there is no perfection in this world.

70. Ok another attempt using "theworld browser" : 2.3; version 2.3.2.1 downloaded 20 minutes ago; used on a win2000 box

71. Hey Bernie; this browser actually works! ie "theworld browser"

72. Still pretty much hooped. The following started as a single string, then at confirm/update page I introduced a couple of carriage returns, before and after "jumped over", and then backpaced out one of each pair. Then updated and finally confirmed. Note there's a fair bit missing at the end.

The quick brown fox
    jumped over
    th

73. Mendel,
    At this juncture, as hundreds and hundreds of posts have been made (and edited) now without a problem by other users, signs point to something in your workflow or computer causing the problems. I encourage you to check to make sure you aren't running anything that would screw with javascript and that you have updated versions of your browsers.

74. Cut Josh some slack, folks-- he' ll&n bsp;have it sorted out in a day or so, and then we can quit moaning until the ne xt time . . . &nb sp;:>D
    I'm get ting all sorts of go ofery, like funny fonts, spaces inserted in the middle of words, visible H TML and so on. ; It's more an amusem ent than anything.
    The problem see ms to be when I draft a post, then modify it, and press 'update'. I'm runnin g IE7.0, but I'll tr y aga in from F iref

75. <p>same here it's the update that's screwing with things from my end.&nbsp; I have just deleted my temp internet files
    , so i will see what happ

76. This is how it was supposed to look:
    same here it's the update that's screwing with things from my end. I have just deleted my temp internet files, so i will see what happens.
    here's an update. let's see how it looks.

77. FWIW, here's a brief followup from Firefox. My last was from IE7.0. Firefox seems to be working well with the editor. It doesn't do anything imaginative when I update a modified post.

78. I hate IE7 so much. It's been nothing but trouble since the moment it showed up.
    I have sent the new info to Jin. So we'll see what he finds out.

79. The following was update per my previous post, except done in Firefox.
    The quick brown fox
    jumped over
    the lazy dog.

So, Firefox works ok for me too. IE7, not so good ;(

80. IE7 just gives me headaches every time we try and make a new feature. And I swear we test in it.
    Bah. I'm going to bed.

81. It works for me!
    WT#?!
    Is this photo.net?!
    Wow!
    Into the 21st century!
    Keep it up, etc, etc...

82. Just a note, I'm currently still having the same issues as Bernie - IE7, when I hit submit or update, part of my text gets reformatted (random spaces inserted, sometimes the space between paragraphs gets removed), and sometimes part of my text at the bottom of the post gets eaten (seems to be progressive - eg, if I submit once and view the preview, some text will get eaten, if I hit update again, more text will get eaten).
    However, if I then submit my post, used the "edit" link, reinsert everything that's missing and click submit, it seems to post properly.
    Also, when I try to use the HTML or insert/edit image buttons, I get a pop-over box with a "404" error in it for both.
    Not quite WYSIWYG just yet :p

83. Not quite WYSIWYG just yet :p
    Well, just for people using awful IE7.
    Seriously though, Jin is working on it. I expect we'll have this fixed shortly.

84. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

For some reason, when you pick "html", it won't allow a <center> tag. Is there a reason for this?

85. The one additional feature I'd like to have in the button bar is the ability to center or left-justify selected text.

86. Don't know if it just me or what, but when I go to click on the html button or the insert picture button, it tells me 404 Not Found. I'm running IE7 :) and i've got javascript enabled with all updates. Sorry if you're already working on this.

87. As I have used the new functions over the last several days, I have been increasingly pleased by the whole thing. Possibly the only tiny fly in the ointment, more of a gnat really, is that it seems to disable Firefox's spell check as-you-go feature, and that seems to be just a temporary glitch, as we are told.

Otherwise, I feel the need for a group photo of the programmers and others responsible for the small shrine I have set up in a corner of my office to worship those responsible for this dialectical leap in our editing and correcting mistakes in our posts after hitting the submit button. Somehow, you never see some things until they are already on the board.
    However, I just got a note that my edited text contained an unacceptable html function when all I had done was use the rule-through the letters function. I tried again, and the little ruled through ABC button now creates html that is rejected by the posting operation. Hmm. It worked before
    Well, I'll still worship the programmers and all. Please give us a group portrait or at least individual names of whom we can thank. ;)
    Ad astra per aspera

88. is that it seems to disable Firefox's spell check as-you-go feature, and that seems to be just a temporary glitch, as we are told.​
    This annoys me as much as it annoys you. I'm working to see what can be done.
    However, I just got a note that my edited text contained an unacceptable html function​
    Like may forums, Photo.net has a set of "naughty" HTML tags that we do not allow. For some reason strikethrough must be on that list. I'll look into it.

89. Many html tags were removed around the 9/11 and later on many sites as folks vented; folks would post in giant red text with different giant fonts. What html is allowed got truncated because of abuse.

One could ask about a Zorki or a non Leica lens like a LTM Canon 50mm F1.2 on the Greenspun board and folks would go nuts with red text like some huge infraction was done.

On the Greenspun board there was also this test area one could test out html; ie one could start this thread just try out something new.

<a href="http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a.tcl?topic=HTML+test+forum"> test area one could test out html</a>

90. I guess one cannot post a link anymore? :) All I get is a 404 error; using "the world: browser mentrioned above.
    So what is the proper way to ; rocket launch sequence to use img src; or a href now? Before one could choose html or plain text.
    Do you know have to hit the html button then type the text and html?

91. I guess one cannot post a link anymore? :) All I get is a 404 error; using "the world: browser mentrioned above.
    So what is the proper way to ; rocket launch sequence to use img src; or a href now? Before one could choose html or plain text.
    Do you know have to hit the html button then type the text and html?

92. Type text, highlight the text, then click the "Insert link" button and paste in the URL to make it a link.

93. I have gotten the double post like above on several other threads. Its would be nice to be able to see ones own images one links using img src; and the results to see if the link works; photo loads like the old days. I guess its suppose to work. I kind of like feel are like back in the hollerith paper card days of computers; and one has moved from IBM to Sperry; and card coding is now abit different. Yea Format F10.4 @FIN @STOP days. or its like one turned off the type on the cards top; and made a few dud cards with extra holes and placed them in the unpunched deck on the keypunch machine.

94. I am getting a new (for me) problem. If I include a poster's name and date line in a copy of their post and then past this in as a quote, when I go to submit it throws up the illegal HTML tag message. It goes away when you get rid of name and date part of the copied text. It would be handy to enable this to legally happen so when you past a quote, you can include who posted it and when it was posted. Cheers.

95. Kelly, is there a reason that you insist on using weird browsers instead of the more common internet explorer, firefox, or safari? It's our goal to have as many browsers work fully with photo.net as possible. But given that 95% of the internet world uses the three browsers I listed, those are the ones that are going to get the most of our attention. Something like "the world" browser is not going to get a lot of effort on our part when we could be improving the site for the millions of firefox or IE users.

96. If I include a poster's name and date line in a copy of their post and then past this in as a quote, when I go to submit it throws up the illegal HTML tag message. It goes away when you get rid of name and date part of the copied text. It would be handy to enable this to legally happen so when you past a quote, you can include who posted it and when it was posted. Cheers.​
    That is because when you simply copy/paste the name off of the page, you are copying a link, not just the name. The system is not set up to deal with that as of yet. One thing at a time.

97. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

But given that 95% of the internet world uses the three browsers I listed​
    It's more like 98% if phones are not included. I don't know any sites that test more than those three plus Opera.

98. Hi Josh; I use Firefox about say 80 percent and Opera 20 percent on my zoo of computers at work and IE if a really have to; say microsoft updates.

The home current box I have used for years only has old firefox 1 and somehow doesnt like to want to install 3.0; even with an unistall. I am going to have to sort out its issue to load the more modern 3.0.

I almost never use IE and am surprised so many still do; its horrible.

I have used Opera 9.61 because one can purposely not have images load; to quickly got thru a site or thread thats got threads that are say 10 megs of images; like some actually here where folks link bloaded images on one thread.

The version of Opera I use is fairly new; 9.62 came out Oct 30 2008; version 10 a couple days ago. I happen to know alot of folks who like opera; and found it abit weird that photo.nets upgrade now cuts out these users from posting.

The reason I mentioned the "the world" browser is it allowed me to log on to photo.net; when the upgrade blocks old firefox 1.0; old IE6; and 45 day old Opera. its just a work around until I get some other brower updates to work

Here I purposely run many new and old boxes; with new and old browsers so the web sites I run to sell stuff and deal with customers are easy to use; load quickly; and to discover weird bugs.

Not all my customers have brand new Imacs and Vista with month old browsers; some have old Netscape; do not have java; do not have flash; do not like to wait if they have dialup. Its just an older philosophy; running a site to sell goods and it loads quickly on dialup and works on normal and weird browsers to.
    The issue with my sites might just not running a multiple fill in type progressive jpeg that works on moderns stuff; shows up as a box on older stuff.

Opera mini is used on alot of BBerrys; its alot easier to use than the canned BB browser; the recent upgrade at photo.net seems to not let one log on with Opera Mini anymore.
    I have not tried the imac 20" unit yet at the office; or redhat boxes with mozilla and Konqueror browser ; or googles new browser yet either.

99. Understood.
    Well, like I said, we want photo.net to work with as many browsers as possible. But you will inderstand if we use most of our resources on the big three. Especially when we are trying to install new features.

100. As mentioned I almost never use IE. The older IE6 on this box will not allow one to post. IE7 really is not much an option with windows2000; it came out in about 24 months ago; I dont even use IE7 on my XP boxes unless necessary. To me IE is thus the weird browser full of holes. I even have IE2 running on an old NT4 box thats not normally web connected. Here I just use IE to see how sites load up and to do upgrades.

101. Josh I tried another win2000 box#2/FTP with IE6 and Opera 9.61 and it allows one to write below the word editor tool bar; but the submit button is dead; just like my other box. This post is with Firefox 3.0.4 on the box#2

102. Firefox = seems to work fine
    Safari = seems to work fine
    IE6 = still some bugs
    IE7 = working fine (as long as cache cleared?)
    That's the status. We're getting there folks. It's always a wild adventure around here. But then again, where else do you get such fun interaction with the site admin and the head programmer? Not on ebay. Not on 4chan. Not on MSNBC.com.
    Anyway, thanks for sticking with us everyone.

103. I was using a little hyperbole about worshipping -- but I do hope that when this is all over, that we will have an opportunity to thank those toiling away for us all....
    The weird thing about the strike-through problem is that it did work originally (I used it in one post above in this thread).
    I'll see if it is still there --- yep, "Problem with your input" error that goes away when the struck out text is removed.
    The good news is that it happens at the preview stage so you don't get all the way through and then have the post dropped or something...

104. The strike through thing is because the "naughty HTML" filter was turned off when the new editor went into effect. We have since turned it back on. Why strikethrough is on the "naughty" list, I have no idea. Probably some spammer or troublemaker was abusing it in the past. In any case, it will be fixed soon enough.

105. jsc

jsc

Fixed. I don't like strikethrough, but there you go.

106. Jin, you will definitely be represented in my shrine among the Lares and Penates.
    Talk about quick response. Hurray

107. To make a link, you must first enter text, then highlight the text, and then click the "link" button

This does not work for me (XP and IE6). See pic.

You must have javascript enabled. The editor won't work if you have it turned off.

Could this be the problem? How do I know if it is on or off?
    Happy shooting,
    Yakim.

00RjTb-95901584.JPG

108. A simple paste of link (any link) results in:
    Because of abuse by spammmers, we can't accept submission of any HTML containing any of the following tags: applet area base body button div embed fieldset font form frame frameset head html iframe ilayer input layer link marquee meta object option pre script select style textarea /applet /area /base /body /button /div /embed /fieldset /font /form /frame /frameset /head /html /iframe /ilayer /input /layer /link /marquee /meta /object /pre /script /style

109. Yakim; here with 3 different boxes the submit button doesnt work with IE6; or Opera 9.61; with "theworld" browser I can post; but I get a 404 message like yours above with a link.

Try Firefox 3.0 and see if it works. I can post with Firefox 3.0 but have not tried a link yet.

110. Kelly, try 'Google Chrome'. It's such a fast browser, especailly on your older boxes.
    Josh, Chrome is now the fourth browser. I feel it wont be long before it is used more than Firefox. But all seems well with Chrome and PN right now. Exepct four spel chek.

111. A very good point. Google Chrome is rapidly making it's way onto the list of popular browsers.

112. Yakim Peled [​IMG] [​IMG] , Dec 08, 2008; 03:52 a.m.
    A simple paste of link (any link) results in:
    Because of abuse by spammmers, we can't accept submission of any HTML containing any of the following tags: applet area base body button div embed fieldset font form frame frameset head html iframe ilayer input layer link marquee meta object option pre script select style textarea /applet /area /base /body /button /div /embed /fieldset /font /form /frame /frameset /head /html /iframe /ilayer /input /layer /link /marquee /meta /object /pre /script /style
    This is a test

113. Sweet

114. A simple paste of link (any link) results in:
    Because of abuse by spammmers, we can't accept submission of any HTML containing any of the following tags:​
    Yakim, What link specifically are you trying to copy that gives you that error? As you can see, I copied Lex's "sweet" link from earlier in the thread. Both as myself and as my test user (who has no admin status). If you try and copy/paste someone's username and post, it isn't going to work because there is <style> formatting in the username/icons that is blocked. I was able to make the post because I can work around that restriction as an admin.

115. Google Chrome requires XP with Sp2 or Vista
    "Google Chrome for Linux is in development and a team of engineers is working hard to bring it to you as soon as possible."
    If you're a Mac user, you can sign up for an email notification when the Mac version is ready. Using Linux? Sign up here

116. Google Chrome requires XP with Sp2 or Vista
    "Google Chrome for Linux is in development and a team of engineers is working hard to bring it to you as soon as possible."
    If you're a Mac user, you can sign up for an email notification when the Mac version is ready. Using Linux? Sign up here

117. Jeepers; my first link using firefox 3.0.4

118. Just a quick feedback: I had some troubles earlier in submitting posts in html, but everything works well now. Josh and his team have done an excellent job in updating the forum interface.

119. testing Chrome...
    posting goes nice, isn't it?
    how about update?

120. >> Yakim, What link specifically are you trying to copy that gives you that error?

Link from B&H, link from RRS, link from PN. All don't work.

Also, I can't understand the recommendation for other browsers. Isn't the new changes suppose to work with all browsers? And IE is not a small or insignificant browser.

Happy shooting,
    Yakim.

121. What happened to *underline*, that *was* one of my *favourite* functions. Was *it* malfunctioning?

122. Underline and strike through were causing issues. So they are gone. Very little on PN needs to be underlined or striked anyway. If you must emphasize something, bold and italics will do just as well.

123. I've noticed another little bug. If I copy something and want to paste it into the text box, via either ctrl-V or right click paste, nothing happens after I do this unless I move the mouse. Obviously, it is requiring an 'onmouseover' event to occur before it responds. Actually, another annoying thing related to the mouseover event is this: Sometimes I want to use the on-screen calculator in a discussion (yeah, I'm one of those geeky tech loving guys). When I open it and it pops up on top of the IE page, I then move my mouse up to use it. But when my mouse crosses over the posting text box, it fires an event and then the IE pages comes back over the top of the calculator. Not the end of the world, but annoying none the less. Cheers. (i'm on IE7 and windows).

124. Just a wee "bug" report. I have discovered that if you use the (edit) button to correct text, when you resubmit, the built in "parser," or whatever you call it, strips out "excess" markers.
    So if you have carefully put in two paragraph markers by hitting the carriage return (now there's an archaic term), and then correct using the (edit) button, the second paragraph marker is taken out unless you remember to put it back in with another carriage return. This is a very minor point, and not even annoying once you know about it, but just thought you'd like to know.
    corrected by taking out html code.... hence the next post.. Sorry

125. IGNORE this one: Hmm. In posting above I found that changes I had made in preview mode resulted in broken lines although this time I had not consciously hit the cr.

What if you went back in time, and killed your mother? How complicated would a "delete" be for a posting that becomes unnecessary? I also note the absence now of strikeout.
    Keep them tweaks coming--you guys must be getting tired, but you're really making progress.

126. More junk that crowds out the field of vision on the Photo.Net website. It's gotten TOO busy. I use to like Photo.Net for its simple visual layout. Now almost every nook & cranny of space seems to find an excuse to be filled in. Just More visual distractions. Photo.Net shouldn't be put together for those who like spending alot of time on their computers - but for those who like to get out into the great wide open, look around. See. Breathe. And take photos!

127. Just a quick comment on DF's remarks - I don't find the site too busy, but I will second the statement that the uncomplicated layout of PN is what makes it a joy to use. I really stands out from other like sites like Luminous-landscape and dpreview in this regard. Very simple and easy to use.

128. DF, if you think photo.net is too busy, you don't look at very many commercial websites.
    Photo.net is not that much different that it was 5-8 years ago in terms of visual presentation. And the forums themselves are very much the same as they ever were. But yes, every added feature beings with it a change. However, I have 1000% more users asking for new features and changes than I have saying "I want photo.net to look like it did in 1999". So that leaves you in the minority.
    And by definition, a website should be designed for those who want to sit in front of a computer. If you want to get out in the "great wide open and look around" what are you doing posting here? A website is always going to be a website. There is no way it can be designed to be a slot canyon, a babbling brook, or a ocean sunset.

129. david_henderson

You might already know this but with IE6 the use of the "update" facility seems to interfere withe the formatting of the text- inserting strange spacing etc.

130. No, I didn't know t hat. If it is not solvable than it's a real pity for me. IE6 is the browser I use when I'm at work, and most of my surfing is done there. I can't modify it, update to a higher version, use a different browser etc. I can do nothing. Please tell me it is s olvable on your side.
    When I go home I'll try it with my home computer. I have both IE6 and FF.
    Happy shooting,
    Yakim.
    </ p>

131. VERY serious problems. I tried marking the word "is" in bold and got a variety of errors. From marking all text as strike-through, to question marks at the end, to the dreaded error I posted earlier, to visible HTML tags. OMDG, this is awful. Very frustrating.
    Happy shooting,
    Yakim.

132. david_henderson

Its missing words out on use of "update" too

133. Okay,
    Jin has been working hard to tracking down the weirdness and fixing it. So I am going to close this thread and move discussion to the following thread so we can move forward not muddying the waters with problems that have already been solved.
    Please post any CURRENT bug reports here:
    http://www.photo.net/site-help-forum/00Rl0M