New Sigma or used Nikon 80-200 2.8?

exposed1

<p>This is a follow up to a questions I posted asking about "new or used 80-200" This questions deals with a new Sigma 70-200 2.8HSM APO or a used Nikon 80-200 2.8D "push/pull" lens, what would you go for? Again, it would be used for weddings, general use, some concert and event work. </p>

<p>The Sigma is about $750, the Nikon is anywhere from $450-$600.</p>

<p>Thank you for all the info,</p>

<p>Randy</p>

<p>I too would look for a used 2-ring Nikon, or the AFS. While no doubt the Sigma is an excellent lens, the Nikon will hold resale value much better, especially if you buy a used one. It's already taken the hit from being resold.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>Regarding the Nikkor: I had the push-pull version and while optically it was fine, it is quite slow to focus. If you aren't doing sports, that may be OK. I did use it for sports among other things. I bought and sold mine for $350/$375. I replaced it, more or less, with a 180/2.8 which is smaller and lighter and faster to focus, although still the slowest AF lens I have.</p>

<p>yeah, i was looking for a 80-200 2.8 recently too....what i found was that i could only afford the older push-pull version. i decided against it because of the reported slow AF. of course this may or may not matter to you. i settled on a used sigma 50-150 2.8 instead; this is a DX lens however.</p>

<p>Thank you for all the great answers. They have help me come to this idea. I am going to forgo the long zoom, and go for either a used Nikon17-55 2.8, or the Sigma 18-50 2.8. Here are my reasons for doing this:<br>

For the last few years, I find that my Nikon 18-70 kit lens has work so well for me, that the jump to a better 2.8 lens will make me feel that much better. The kit lens has been my main lens for everything. I do have a Nikon 55-200VR but have only used it a few times in over a year.<br>

I can rent the 80-200 on the times that I need it. At this point, only about 6-8 times for the rest of this year.<br>

By the way, I will be using this on a D300 and a D70s. I just feel that putting out that kinda of money, for something that I may use very little, the dollars could be used for better things, lighting, food, housing... just kidding.....<br>

Thanks for all the help, it is great info to this old timer.....28 years in the photo game, 25 of it shooting Hasselblad.<br>

Randy</p>

<p>The biggest advantage the push-pull 80-200 has over the Sigma is the fact that it's a Nikkor. </p>

<p>On the other hand, the Sigma has better egronomics (2 rings and full time MF), focuses faster (and most importantly without the aggrevating vibration), and features AF that works on lower end Nikon bodies. The 80-200 AF-D is loved by many, but the push-pull version is far from perfect. Its slow AF speed defeats the fact that it's a fast lens to an extent; and when using it (both the push-pull and 2-ring versions), I found the combination of excessive torque/vibration during AF and the lack of VR to be a recipe for disaster (blurring due to camera vobration). The HSM is a major advantage. </p>

<p>Here is an update to I have done. I found a very nice, used, 80-200 AF-S f2.8 for $800. I am going to look at it tomorrow and if all is as good as the photos, this is what I am going to purchase. It is what I wanted from the start, but found them to be well over my budget. This one is right at my budget, but by selling my 55-200VR lens, it will help.<br>

So, if you are looking for a 55-200VR lens, only used about 10 times, let me know.<br>

Thank you for all the help,<br>

Randy</p>