New Sigma DX lens 50-150mm f2.8

wade_thompson

<p>I shoot a lot running events (5K, half marathons, mud runs, etc.)<br>

Unfortunately, I find myself in-between on zoom reach and am contemplating going with a DX lens to fit my needs and since I found only one review, thought I would ask you in the forum what you thought of the new Sigma 50-150mm f2.8.<br>

My equipment:<br>

Camera: Nikon D300<br>

Lenses I use for this: Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8, Nikkor 24-85 F2.8-4</p>

<p>Anyone have some insight on this Sigma lens?</p>

<p>Unlike Sigma's older, non-OS 50-150mm f/2.8, the current one is about the same size and weight as your 80-200mm f/2.8, which I don't understand at all. The dimensions are so similar to Sigma's 70-200mm that I wonder if they shared parts to save development costs. Obviously the Sigma would give you more overlap with your 24-85mm. If that is worth losing 150-200mm and the ability to use the lens on FX, you might want to switch. A different kind of help for being in-between on focal lengths is a second body. I wonder if you might be happier picking up a used D300.</p>

<p>To explain further, for runners, the bokeh of 4 is about minimum depending on how far the background is when I set up. The 80-200 of course has great softness in background and the 2.8 I like in that 50-150 as well as the focal length. Sometimes the 80mm is just too much.<br>

Theoretcially, the 50-150mm f2.8 would be IDEAL... I just want to know if anyone owns one here and what they think of the sharpness, etc.</p>

<p>thanks in advance.</p>

• 1 month later...