New Sigma DP Quattro

c_watson1

<blockquote>

<p>It’s a simple but powerful lineup that delivers medium format-level image quality anywhere, anytime. Take all three with you and select as needed for the perfect shot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That made me laugh. Instead of making an interchangeable lens camera they expect you to buy all 3 cameras. Then you'll have 3 batteries to keep charged, 3 memory cards to get mixed up and a bag capable of carrying 3 cameras. I think they've finally lost the plot.</p>

<p>If Sigma ever want their Foveon sensors to be taken seriously they should produce a Micro 4/3rds camera so that masses of photographers could instantly put their lenses on it.</p>

That's nice. I don't understand the 39mp thing though - if it has 4.9mp from it's green and red layers and 19.6mp from the

blue layer where does the 39 number come from? And have they improved the AF and speed issues or are they still

relying on claims about magic sensors to sell the things?

I wonder how close the lens element is to the sensor? Perhaps it is so close that it is more practical to manufacture fixed

lens cameras rather than an interchangable lens camera. Just a guess. I suspect sigma considered IL camera designs,

and for what ever reason (r&d costs?) decided on a fixed lens again. Being a former film user, the foveon sensor

intriguing, and for landscapes, I don,t mind taking my time with camera and tripod. After all, these are niche cameras

designed for the enthusiast/pro interested in IQ over speed and photo journalistic convenience.

<p>With several cameras all with their main and back-up batteries I share the complaint about keeping batteries charged up and depreciate the way manufacturers change battery and charger between models.</p>

<p>There is a lot to be said for fixed lens cameras and the only reason I went to MFT was for the larger sensor and I only had one lens for it the 14-140 which meets most of my needs until for fun I got a bug-eye recently .... for years I only had one lens for my SLR [ or any of my other still cameras]... the digital age has caused people to be spoilt <br>

Photography is taking pictures not changing lenses</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think they've finally lost the plot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think they never found it in the first place. These guys were the first to produce a compact camera with a large sensor and they still haven't figured out how to make an appealing product. Too bad the Foveon tech landed in their lap.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wonder how close the lens element is to the sensor?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It doesn't matter - they don't need to keep that distance if they decide to do an ILC system. They also use Foveon sensors in their DSLRs, so it's not like they require optics close to the sensor surface.</p>

<p>there are optical advantages to having a sensor matched to a single lens. and for pure IQ, these cameras are probably gonna be pretty good. i didnt see anything in the press release about AF speed though, so it looks like these are gonna be just as slow as previous models and therefore not all that great for anything but landscape/studio photography. hopefully this means the current DP models will go on sale. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think they never found it in the first place.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree. Surely Sigma could have made a fortune by selling their Foveon sensors to other manufacturers... just like Sony does now. But no, they chose to cling on to it and tried to do the whole thing themselves. The DP cameras and their hideous DSLRs were always destined for failure. It seems they still haven't grasped reality. It's a shame because their latest high end lenses are very good.</p>

I think if the sensor were really that great another company would have made Sigma an offer they can't refuse by now - or

made a better offer than Sigma for the Foveon company back in '08. I think that in reality the magic sensor isn't so much

of a market advantage, which is why Sigma sells so few cameras. If they want to make money on it they're going to need

more of a value proposition.

<p>I don't know why Sigma don't just make a knockout camera with a great standard zoom using the Foveon sensor, they always seem to hobble it somehow (way too expensive, non interchangeable lens). The same with their DSLRs. They have a set of great lenses and a great sensor (according to them), but never seem to be able to put them together. This DP Quattro looks dead in the water to me.</p>
Robin Smith

<blockquote>

<p>Surely Sigma could have made a fortune by selling their Foveon sensors to other manufacturers... just like Sony does now</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Perhaps things have changed with this generation, but my understanding is that the last generation of these cameras could produce incredible low ISO photos but were near-unusable above ISO 400 or so. Among <em>most</em> photographers, I doubt low ISO quality is that pressing a concern compared to high ISO quality. <br>

If this technology is solving an interesting problem but one that most people don't really have, most manufacturers probably aren't interested in it. </p>

<p>after reading the comments on this thread, it makes me question whether we need tricked-out sensors attached to cameras that can't shoot except under extremely limited conditions, or we need more performance-oriented bodies which dont get in the way. the Foveon sensor and three different focal lengths could have been cool in bodies more attuned to street/candid photography, but snappy AF and high-ISO is a must, and stabilization would have been nice, since the size suggests handholdability. a compact camera which needs to be tripod-mounted is somewhat counter-intuitive.i'd rather see a stabilized improved-AF version of the Ricoh GR in different focal lengths, and more f/1.8 or f/2 lenses.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>there are optical advantages to having a sensor matched to a single lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Is there any indication that the sensors of the DP line are different and each is made to match their specific lens?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>People love the Foveon sensor. It has to be for a reason.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>People like things that are different even if they don't provide an advantage. Reason's got nothing to do with it, to paraphrase from Unforgiven :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Switching cameras is much faster than switching lenses. You don't have problem of dust getting onto the sensor either.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can switch ILCs too - there's nothing preventing you from doing that. And when they break, you still keep the lenses. If these cameras would be inexpensive, it might make sense, but they cost as much as an ILC.</p>

<p>Cara said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>For what it is worth, a few of my personal favorite photos were taken with the Sigma Merrill, which has the same sensor . . .</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Which ones? Wow! Senior editor! You have a really nice portfolio . . . please post more often!</p>

I am intrigued by these cameras but the ISO noise is the killer. How many of us are going to spend a significant amount of time using a camera we can't go above 400 on? It can only ever be an addition. I've heard many things about how nice the output is within it's limitations, and the images I have seen do look good, but they do not look so good as to spend the money and time and working-around on. What Sigma really must do is ACTUALLY bring out a medium format camera with this sensor and three ultra-high end lenses. Then the people who can actually afford them will see huge benefit- companies shooting for Audi, Louis Vuitton and the like. It would be costly but sensible for Sigma to invest if they can literally make the output from a D800 look flat and uninteresting. This sensor needs to be used in a controlled environment.

Stop mucking about with the mirrorless Jo Bloggs crowd Sigma- seek out the high end professionals who can create the conditions to show the sensor at it's best and for whom a radical new look might actually make a lot of money..

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Jamie, the DP series cameras have ALWAYS been single-lens cameras. They are nothing new, and they have received rave reviews for their image quality for many years now. The current line of DP cameras capture image quality equivalent to a Nikon D800, but at a much smaller, lighter size. Two DP cameras with their attached lenses are lighter than one Nikon D800 with a single lens. You can put one in a large pocket (some pockets in tight jeans won't accept ANY camera). Currently the problem with the DP cameras is their lack of battery power. One battery, though very small and easily carried in another pocket, can only provide about two or three film-rolls worth (about 50 to 75) of photos - just not enough for most people. Sigma has addressed that issue with this new camera, while reducing the file sizes (and therefore the processing requirements), increasing the speed of the processor, improving the review screen, and improving the ergonomics of the camera. This camera is, of course, not for everyone. The DP cameras never were. But if you're looking for a particular focal length (wide or maybe normal), and you want stellar quality photos from a very compact camera, then the DP 2 Quattro just might be a camera you would like.</p>

<p>No, these are not interchangeable lens cameras, like the Sony NEX or A7/A7r. They're not micro-4/3 cameras. I wish Sigma would make a line of micro-4/3 cameras myself. But they are certainly something special and very capable. Most buyers love them, and no doubt this new generation will prove to be better than ever. The 39 megapixel images will be second to none in the point-and-shoot world. They may even be better than what comes from a Nikon D800! (at less than 1/3 the price)</p>