New Shen Hao 8x10

Discussion in 'Large Format' started by richard_ilomaki, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Hello I have just taken delivery of a new Shen Hao 8x10 wooden field camera at their Shanghai office. It is very well crafted out of teak and titanium with build quality fully the equal of international standards. I am familiar with some Chinese craftmanship and in the chemical engineering industry where I work some of it is positively lethally poor. This is not!!! It operates very smoothly- so smoothly that our tiny local office assistant lady who came with me was easily able to operate the controls and commented on how easy it was. The camera included 3 lensboards:- Shutter openings 1,& 3, and one #1 which fits Linhoff. The larger board onto which the smaller one fits is a Sinar style. It has all front movements and back swing and tilt but not shift. The back can be either horizontal or vertical and there is a built- in spirit level and solid leather carrying strap. It is a tad heavy-6 Kg, but comes with an optional aluminum case( 38 USD) which is an easy-to-carry package. I have ordered a compendium hood which will be ready in September. Mr Zhang, the man I dealt with, is very congenial and helpful and understands LF photography. Of course the quality of the pictures will depend on me and the lens, but I am certain it will last many years and will work as well 50 yrs from now as my 4x5 Deardorff. The price as 1800 US including of the case and lensboards and a nameplate with “Shen Hao 8x10 RICHRD ILOMAKI” engraved on it: nice touch. Attached a few simple digital photos.
    005ilp-14001684.JPG

2. Looks sweet! Now if only someone would import these into the US........

Cheers,
    Roger...

3. Wouldn't it be great if shen hao made a 4x5 with titanium
    hardware and lighter hardwood?

4. Is that real titanium or just plated to look like titanium? It seems too low cost to be machined out of solid titanium.

5. I guess it depends where he is getting his titanium and what kind of stash/deal he has... When Gehry was building the Guggenheim, they decided on titanium cladding in part because the price suddenly dropped at that time and they got a great deal (comapartively) on it compared to other metal cladding. Years ago when I used to go climbing you could buy titanium ice screw from Russia for peanuts because the Soviets had the stuff coming out of their ears. Maybe he has a good source of Chinese/Russian titanium... :)

6. Real Titanium!! No plating.

Cheers

7. Are you in Singapore? I'm thinking (slowly, I'll admit) about a Shenhao 4x5 ... so I'd be very interested to read an evaluation of your new box when you have time.