new russian camera #1

link

I just received the old Russian cameras as a very generous gift.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about them.

The first is a FED #222325 serial number, hopefully pictured below<div>00Ovse-42530884.jpg.ed68205d3becca6d0653b1137e12f775.jpg</div>

I use a FED 2 here in Texas which neighbors the US. You get 5 basic shutter speeds and a decent rangefinder for focusing, assuming that the RF is properly calibrated. The INDUSTAR 26 is a good lens from f/5.6 to f/11.

While the FED 2 is pretty basic, the FED is even more basic. Basic can be a good thing with gear from the Soviet Union.

The collapsible FED 50/INDUSTAR 22 that comes with the FED is as good as an older Leitz Elmar. I mention this, because you may wish to use the FED 50 on the FED 2 and see if it floats your boat.

The Mosckva is big, heavy and fiddly. If it works properly, at f/8 - 11, it will produce 8 excellent 6x9 exposures on a roll of 120 medium format film.

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

There are a number of sites dedicated to FSU (Former Soviet Union)cameras. My favorite "home" for these is the Zenit Camera Group on Yahoo Groups. It contains a number of links to these resources. All FSU camera owners are welcome, not just for Zenit owners.

The first one shown in your post is a Fed 1F or 1G, the best models of that series. The Fed 2 is a favorite as it has the long base rangefinder and a combined VF/RF window.

I have a couple of Zorki I's which are practically the same as your FED I. They are very good cameras and are of course copies of the Leica II. The only thing you have to worry about is calibrating your rangefinder which are almost always out when you get them. http://jay.fedka.com/ has some very good information on the early FED and Zorki models including instructions on how to make adjustments.

The older Fed 1 is a cool camera, looks a lot like the IIIf Leica. Just be sure to cut the film leader long and skinny before you load it into the bottom of the camera. I use Kiev 4 cameras, and have a Fed 1 like yours that is a faux Leica. All of them are fun, and capable of very good results.

FED is the initials of the Polish man who founded the organization that evolved into the KGB. The commune where the camera was "reverse engineered" was named for him. After WWII, the Allied Control Commission opened up German patents to use by anyone as preparations, so the FED became legitimate at that point and other Soviet cameras (like the Zorki) were also made. I think that the Allied Control Commission did not anticipate that the biggest advantage would not be to the US, USSR, or Britain (all of whom made Leica copies), but to another Axis power, the Empire of Japan.

Go the Kievaholics and other such sites for more of this fascinating story.

Ironically, many FEDs and such have been used to counterfeit Leicas and other German cameras of the pre-war years. Any lovely camera with lots of swastikas and Goering's name is almost certain to be a pious fraud.

All of those cameras are capable of producing excellent images if in decent condition.

With the older FED, check the shutter curtains for pinholes. The curtains were coated with different material than on the newer models, and there may be pinholes from cracks in the coating.

Try the Industar-26 wide open -- this lens has a lovely bokeh. There's no clicks on the aperture wheel and this may require some time to get used to, but after some practice it is possible to adjust the aperture quite intuitively.

All of my own photography from the past three years was done with FED cameras. I shoot almost every day and these cameras are very reliable.

The Moskva-5 is probably the real gem of the lot. Coupled RF focusing down to 1.5m with a really good Tessar copy lens. The "Moment 24C" shutter is almost an exact copy of the German Compur Rapid, but only 1/250 instead of 1/500 speed. Did yours come with the mask to shoot 6x6 with it?

The 1st one I had was quite good: in all respects equal to my Ikonta 523/2 with Opton Tessar T lens. I just bought a 2nd one that I just need to fix up a bit. (sellers remorse!)

If it had an accessory shoe like my Ikonta, I would use my 35mm brightline finder with it. The viewfinder is quite small and way off on the right side.

<P>They're all three amazing cameras - though I would think the FED-2 may well be the most user-friendly.</P><P>I have a Moskva-5 and whilst 'gem' is not a word I would normally use in the same sentence, it is one heck of a camera: built like a tractor and capable of some very nice images, though not exactly easy to use. I have the 6x6 mask and I am shooting a roll with it at present. The extra reach of the 105mm in 6x6 may produce some interesting pics.</P><P>If your cameras are in working order, please use them. You'll be surprised and delighted at the images you can create!</P>

Thanks for all the great info!

The cameras were all purchased from an antique store in Moscow, so they're not well

serviced, but they all seem to work to some extent. I've put film in them all, but I don't

think I'll be able to develop the 120 film till I get back to the States (US). I'm hoping that

the bellows on the 6x9 camera is not full of holes :)

The old FED needs a new mirror in the rangefinder to really see focus, but the shutter

seems in excellent condition. The FED 2 shutter does not look as good :( and its not very

well built.

Unfortunately I don't have the 6x6 mask for the Moscow 5 camera...but it's in the best

condition I think of the lot. I'm sure I'll look like a genuine old timer here in the former

soviet republic of Georgia walking around with these cameras for the next couple months!

There's a nice Russian 1000mm mirror lens in screw mount here at a local camera store

here that can be had for peanuts, but one would need a $1000 tripod to hold the thing.

I'll have to wait till June to post any photos from these cameras as I don't have access to a

scanner here in Batumi, but thanks again for all the links and comments.

-bruce

>Kevin Bourquephoto.net patron, Mar 26, 2008; 01:36 p.m.

I used a Moskva 5 for a while. The image quality was good (at least on mine) but the cameras was awkward to use. The worst part was the squinty little viewfinder.<

I fixed the viewfinder on my Moskva 5. I took an old folding wire frame finder off an old Kodak folder and glued it on top of the Moskva. Works great, and has no horizontal parallax issues like the built in finder does.

Dave :)

I serviced my "new" 1959 Moskva-5 yesterday. The wind and shutter release was stiff which is easily dealt with if you need some guidance. The red windows and sliders needed some attention too as the previous owner noted some light leaks. Easy to deal with.

I thought the shutter was OK but just before I was going to load a roll of film, I thought I should check the infinity focus. Low and behold, the shutter wouldn't hold open on bulb. So I had to tear that down too - this I wouldn't recommend unless you really know what you're doing.

Anyhow, she's all good now and I hope to burn 8 or 16 frames with it this weekend.