New printer needed

Evening all,

I find myself in need of a new printer. I haven't printed much of anything in a while and need to find a new up to date printer capable of I guess 13x19 prints. It needs to have commonly available ink cartridges and be reasonably fast. If it also scans, so much the better. It's been a long time since I actually purchased anything and while I've looked over several at Best Buy I'd like some recommendations here. I'm trying to keep the budget under $300 or so. Beyond that I have no particular preference. Thanks.

Rick H.

A printer with a scanner (aka, All-in-One) is not likely to do a good job scanning, printing photos or text. If you need a generic printer for office use, then an inexpensive laser jet has the best quality and is the cheapest to run. An $80 cartridge will give you 5000 pages. For occasional color graphics or photos with so-so quality, then a color laser can be found to fit your budget.

However, if you want to print 13"x19" with photographic quality, you want an inkjet, probably an Epson or Canon with more than four color cartridges. I suggest you visit www.bhphotovideo.com for the best choices with good descriptions and competitive prices. Best Buy would not be my first choice to shop for photo gear.

A Canon Pixma Pro-100 is an exceptional 13x19" printer, just outside your budget at $380. My daughter-in-law has one, and the results are very good.

I've personally had very good luck with Epson.

My old R1800 still does beautiful glossies, very fine B&Ws. etc.

Any large printer of quality is only cost-effective if you do a lot of printing and use fairly constantly, however.

Ink, preferably pigment instead of dye, is expensive in any case.

• Like 2

I recently purchased a Canon Pixma Pro-10. It is similar to the Pro-100, except uses pigment rather than dye based ink (longevity). I am delighted with the print quality, and the speed is adequate for my needs - not slow, not fast, but half-fast (credit Pete Fountain). I do prints for friends (and the refrigerator) using a Canon Selphy dye-sub printer, 4x6". I use a Brother B&W laser jet for routine text, and a big Xerox color laser for CD covers and brochures, occasionally for photos.

Another feature to look for is WiFi or ethernet capability. That way you can use any printer from any computer at any time, including mobile devices.

Budget is not a show stopper, quality printing is what I am after. I'll check B&H but am curious to know what people her are using on a regular basis. Like the Pixma. Thanks!

There are nearly always big rebates on the PP100 -- essentially, mine cost $100. Don't think they are that deep at the moment, but I think I saw one on line well under $300.

It does have WiFi. I spent a good part of yesterday printing a job -- 8x10 and 13x19. Quality of the prints is excellent. Another benefit, when you buy the ink (not inexpensive) direct from Canon, there is usually a deal with a LOT of free Canon paper. Last time I got a stack that filled my paper shelf -- many hundreds of sheets across various sizes.

Both the Pro 10 and the Pro 100 are often available between $100 and $150. If you can wait for the deals, you can save a lot of money and buy a separate scanner. Go to canonpricewatch.com and subscribe for alerts on this page. You can sign up for specific printers on their pages. This is a great way to know what deals are offered, I've bought lenses and flash gear this way. They let you know if anything is grey market and they test ebay vendors before they post about deals.

Evening all,

I find myself in need of a new printer. I haven't printed much of anything in a while and need to find a new up to date printer capable of I guess 13x19 prints. It needs to have commonly available ink cartridges and be reasonably fast. If it also scans, so much the better. It's been a long time since I actually purchased anything and while I've looked over several at Best Buy I'd like some recommendations here. I'm trying to keep the budget under $300 or so. Beyond that I have no particular preference. Thanks.

Rick H.

The operative phrase here is " I haven't printed much of anything in a while". If you do not do much printing, you may find it more economical to send your color printing out (I use Costco), purchase a laser monochrome printer for documents.

• Like 3

Evening all,

Rick H.

I recently purchased an all-in-one Epson (model Workforce WF-2760) printer and love it. Ink cartridges are reasonably priced and the prints from it are really good. I was surprised as I had been using a Canon PIxam IP6600 for prints and the Epson exceeds it. I am very happy with my purchase.

GR

The Pro-10 goes for $450 with rebate. If you find one for $100 it's probably just off the boat in a chicken crate. $150 for a new, open-box Pro-100 is not out of line, if you are willing to wait for one to show up. Modern dye inks, at least form Canon and Epson, are very durable. I have a photo, rendered in process B&W (Epson 2000?), hanging near a window. After over 15 years, there are no signs of fading or color shift..

I've personally had very good luck with Epson.

I've owned dozens of different Epson's dating back to the 1200. The only one that was a POS was the 4900. If you didn't use it every day, it would clog. The 3880 sitting in the same room could go months without issue. I've owned a few Canon's (been awhile), fine printers too. The Piezo head technology is more advanced in a number of areas.

When you hear someone state "Never an Epson again", ask them how many Epson's they've owned before taking the same tactic. I can't count on both hands and feet the number of Epson printers's I've owned and one really did suck if not used daily. If used daily, it was a fine printer.

I have nothing but good things to say about my most current Epson, a P800.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

The Pro-10 goes for $450 with rebate. If you find one for $100 it's probably just off the boat in a chicken crate. $150 for a new, open-box Pro-100 is not out of line, if you are willing to wait for one to show up. Modern dye inks, at least form Canon and Epson, are very durable. I have a photo, rendered in process B&W (Epson 2000?), hanging near a window. After over 15 years, there are no signs of fading or color shift..

Sure. I don't know about Canon. but Epson spent a cool 2 billion on their ink manufacturing, so the inks ought to b e good.

Sure. I don't know about Canon. but Epson spent a cool 2 billion on their ink manufacturing, so the inks ought to b e good.

In order to spend less on ink, you need a printer with larger ink cartridges. The most expensive, per milliliter, are the 4-5 ml cartridges in an $80 printer. You'll spend twice as much in a year on ink as the printer cost itself. A 17" Epson 3800 has 80 ml cartridges - 40 times the capacity at 10x the price.

Epson printers us a piezoelectric print head, which can produce different sized ink droplets, and probably with a higher solids content in the ink than Canon. Canon atomizes ink with heating elements in the head. Unlike Epson heads, Canon heads are easily replaced ($25 for the Pro-10). I've never worn out a print head*, but I've had three Epson printers clog beyond recovery by simple maintenance procedures. Use 'em or lose 'em!

I had an Epson 2200, which made very good prints with accurate (calibrated) color. I like my latest printer even more, a Canon Pixma Pro-10, with 10 colors plus clear coat. I'm sure Epson has progressed a lot in 10 years too. You really can't go wrong with either brand.

Look at the footprint of the printer. Mine is 24x17" and weighs 50 pounds. I needed a special stand for it. A 17" printer will occupy a good part of a home office. Many are fitted for WiFi and/or ethernet, which keeps the cable clutter down and makes the printer available to mobile devices, laptops and multiple work stations.

* Not exactly never. I'm on my third set of heads for a dedicated CD printer (which uses 30 ml cartridges).

I appreciate the responses here and have read all of them. I still have an Epson 2200 bought back when it was current. Haven't used in a while and don't know if ink is still available for it. A friend also has one and has something clogged, I don't think he can get yellow ink to work. Not sure how serviceable it is but if I can find ink and it still works I'll use it. Either way though I'm going to add a new printer to my collection. I've been piling up images the last cou[le of years but made no prints. Seems like I am missing out. In addition to digital printing my darkroom is finally back together and I've been buying chemistry and paper to work there as well.

Rick H.

The operative phrase here is " I haven't printed much of anything in a while". If you do not do much printing, you may find it more economical to send your color printing out (I use Costco), purchase a laser monochrome printer for documents.

Not everyone has the same needs, and the above advice certainly suits some of us. I have, and really like, an old Epson 837, all-in-one that does a good job on photos, and other household needs for text and graphics content. It has never clogged, and I do not print regularly. That said, Costco serves some of my photo printing needs as well.

I'm in the situation where I cannot justify buying a more expensive printer for my meager use. A friend of mine has 3 837's, 2 3800's, a4900, and a 9890, and he prints a lot. I have zero experience with a Canon printer, so I can't comment on them.

I still have an Epson 2200 bought back when it was current. Haven't used in a while and don't know if ink is still available for it.

Ink for the 2200 is available at Atlex.com, and most likely at the Epson website as well. I finally retired my 2200 after 15 years of service, still going strong but showing signs of age. I replaced it with a SureColor P600, and I'm still amazed at the difference in print quality.

Good review, but 4 years old.

As far as I know, PP 100 is still in current product line. Can't recall if I got mine from B&H or Adorama with similar rebate. I have been very pleased with mine, and though my use varies between fairly heavy (for amateur use) and not at all, I have had no trouble with the print heads. Ink is fairly expensive, but if you buy from Canon, there is usually a great free paper deal. I have been studying the ink situation and have decided to try Precision Colors refill kit. Apparently they get the same ink Canon uses and have a reliable method of reprogramming the chip on the cartridge.

As far as I know, PP 100 is still in current product line. Can't recall if I got mine from B&H or Adorama with similar rebate. I have been very pleased with mine, and though my use varies between fairly heavy (for amateur use) and not at all, I have had no trouble with the print heads. Ink is fairly expensive, but if you buy from Canon, there is usually a great free paper deal. I have been studying the ink situation and have decided to try Precision Colors refill kit. Apparently they get the same ink Canon uses and have a reliable method of reprogramming the chip on the cartridge.

Thanks, but we disagree about using 3rd party inks. Far too many horror stories to go with them for the meager savings and possible lower quality that they produce. I don't know anything about Canon inks, but I can tell you nobody makes ink for Epson printers that match Epson ink quality and coverage. 3rd party inks can also screw up your profiles unless you're making your own, or having them made to match your papers. Just not worth it to me.

Thanks, but we disagree about using 3rd party inks.

I'd agree with you, but I got hold of a 2nd PP 100 for free. That will be the test platform for the ink alternative. If it works, great, if not, the main machine will be standing by. It is really a pain to run out of a color in the midst of a project and it always seems to be the one you haven't got in stock. I hit three big box stores on Saturday for a CLI-42 Photo magenta with no luck - for me that is 150 mile round trip, though I did have other errands. Fortunately inks I had ordered on line arrived today.

I'd agree with you, but I got hold of a 2nd PP 100 for free. That will be the test platform for the ink alternative. If it works, great, if not, the main machine will be standing by. It is really a pain to run out of a color in the midst of a project and it always seems to be the one you haven't got in stock. I hit three big box stores on Saturday for a CLI-42 Photo magenta with no luck - for me that is 150 mile round trip, though I did have other errands. Fortunately inks I had ordered on line arrived today.

Well, you get to give it a go at no personal expense beyond the cost of the 3rd party inks, your papers, and the investment of your time and energy.

Running out of ink is a problem that can plague most of us, and I agree, it's a PITA!

Good luck with it.

If you're printing exclusively on glossy/luster papers then the Canon Pro 100 using dye inks should work fine for you. But if you want to print on matte paper you'll need pigment inks, like the Pro 10 (and up) has. Also don't forget about color calibrating your monitor. BTW, Precision Color inks have a very good reputation for color accuracy, but they do fade much faster than Canon's OEM inks (with inks you get what you pay for).