New Pentax 645N

reinhard_becker

Pentax has announced the 645N officially in Germany.

FYI :

-Body looks like the old 645 (no magazins, still filmholders)

-New metering systems (2*6-zones, spot)

-and AUTOFOCUS !!

<p>

You can use the old lenses with all functions, except AF. There should be 5 new AF-lenses, but I don4t know what lenses. Who can help?

The camera should be available in March, costs with standard lens 5500,- German Marks ($3000,- but prices in USA are normally lower then in Europe

There are five new AF lenses for Pentax 645N at beginning.

<p>

SMC Pentax-FA 645 45mm~85mm f/4.5

SMC Pentax-FA 645 45mm f/2.8

SMC Pentax-FA 645 75mm f/2.8

SMC Pentax-FA* 645 300mm f/4 ED [iF]

SMC Pentax-FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED [iF]

<p>

You can find some information about Pentax 645N & its AF lenses at the

B&H WWW site (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/).

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor has it that there is a review of the 645N in

this months' Popular Photography (Jan 98?) but I

haven't seen it yet. I was wondering how

compatable the accessories are (other than the lens)

For example, the film backs, the eye piece, the hot

shoe, etc. (I have a full 645 outfit, and would

like not to have replace everything to go to the

645N)

• 2 months later...
I bought the new Pentax 645N a couple of days ago. Great Camera! The controls and viewfinder loupe are greatly improved over the 645; the former consist of clearly marked dials and slide switches and the latter doesn't require as precise centering of your eye to see the whole viewfinder frame. Handling and balance are excellent and the autofocus is reasonably fast and quite effective for field shooting (particularly street shooting), but not as fast as a current generation 35mm SLR. Mirror dampening is superb, like the earlier 645, and handheld shots at slow speeds are easy. I am not the steadiest shooter, but can reliably handhold the 645N with the 75mm lens at 1/45 sec. The viewfinder is sharp, bright and contrasty and operational noise is low for a medium format SLR. The camera feels solid and fit and finish (considering the polycarbonate outer covers) are excellent. Although optical diagrams indicate that the 75mm AF lens is the same formula as the MF 75mm, my new 75mm AF is noticeably sharper wide open than my 75mm MF from 10 years ago. Could be sample variation or improved quality control? The 75mm AF is superbly sharp and contrasty at all apertures, but the out of focus areas look rather hard and blocky -- not the smooth "bokeh" of Pentax's 105mm for the 6X7. I wish Pentax had released a short AF telephoto for the 645N - the intial AF lens group jumps from 75mm to 300mm with only a 45-85 zoom in between. Its been a while since I have enjoyed shooting with a camera as much as with this one.

• 4 weeks later...
I bought my P645N last week through mail order (B & H) and got a much better price than the local dealer (although I did feel a bit guilty going in there afterward!). The camera is wonderful--my main problem is finding time to shoot. I purchased both a 75mmAF and a 150 manual focus lens. I need to purchase a flash and was wondering if anyone has input on which pentax flash to buy? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.