New Orleans in mid January

Ken Katz

I will be traveling to New Orleans mid January, and would like to get some photographic and non photographic

suggestions. Only plan to stay 3 days and this is really a trip to relax and get away from the cold, and not

primarily a photographic trip. Staying in the French Quarter and will not have a car, but certainly willing to

take a taxi.

It has been quite a while since I was last in Nawlins, but I don't think it has changed much in the last couple of hundred years.

Photos - early in the morning you'll find the French Quarter (Bourbon St) empty, but the streets and sidewalks get hosed down each morning and provide a nice reflective surface for photos, allowing you to capture the sense of place and details of Bourbon St. Evenings will offer the lights and people for a different mood (twilight offers enough darkness for the lights on the street to show well, but enough ambient light to include the people without a flash or tripod being needed). Daytime is good to wander Jackson Square - there's a classic shot of the church from the waterfront end of the square, and sidewalk vendors offer a large variety of wares and quite a few street artists doing portraits and caricatures.

I don't know if sternwheelers still offer short cruises on the river these days, but if so, one of these 1-2 hour trips will allow shooting the seaport and Jackson Square from the water, plus a nice boat ride. They used to offer dinner cruises, buffet style, that were a pretty good bargain.

Take a street car - you'll get to see more of NO without needing a car. And stop in the Cafe du Monde across the street from Jackson Square at the waterfront end, and have some beignets (pronounced "ben - yay" - the highest evolution of the donut).

A trip upriver would be nice if you had a car, but if you can hook up with someone who does and would enjoy seeing the plantations along the river, the drive up River Road is truly a trip back in time. There's no better way to see how folks lived 150+ years ago, both the landed gentry and the slaves who made it all possible. A truly educational experience.

<p>Another nod for street cars and Cafe du Monde. You mention a relaxing time and a leisurely visit for coffee and beignets will hit the spot. Bring a book or get a newspaper and watch the world go by. Take in the street music while enjoying the local food such as crawfish boudin, a hearty moufaletta, and an Abita Springs Turbo Dog to wash it down, if you imbibe. Don't forget a piece of sweet potato pie. <a href="http://neworleanscitypark.com/">City Park</a> is a place to consider for photos or strolling around. Have a great time.</p>

Not sure what an Albita Springs Turbo Dog is, but I am willing to try it. This would be my third time visiting New Orleans but the first time was a business trip, and I had just an hour to to walk around before a fabulous dinner at Commanders Palace. The second time was a few months before Katrina and we had young children in tow.

Thanks for all your help folks.

• 8 months later...

We have gone there 6 or 7 times since 2010 and we just love this town! For a short visit as you are planning, take 1 camera and walk the

French Quarter. For architectural and landscape shots shoot color. For people and jazz performances I like to shoot B&W. IMHO must see

locations to shoot would be: St Louis Cathedral, Jackson Square, Antique Row ( I forgot the street name) late at night or very early AM.

Bourbon Street at night (drag the shutter and use flash), French Market Cafe ( great live jazz weather permitting). Take the street car to the

Garden District, walk the riverfront and eat Beingets at Cafe DuMonde. Have a great time!