New OM-D

Sanford

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Could be the micro camera that professionals would not mind using as a permanent piece of armament. And if it was alloy framed and water sealed, attractive indeed. It also has to look sharp and fulfill the dream of an OM class small but sleek and tough little bugger. So will be fun to watch and see what springs from the peak of Olympus.... Now, my only keen wonder at the moment is whether Olympus has managed to pull a rabbit out a hat ( a groundhog would do) by incorporating a dual focus system that would give the best of phase detect and contrast detect with an electronic finder of high res. If that happens, well hunky dunky time for the community. We all knew the 4/3 lenses were coups for the company. The bodies, well, not always quite good enough. Will the lens mount handle the large lens. Well,why not. </p>

<p>If it's weather-sealed, tough, with decent evf, then it's going to be a good landscape camera - as long as the sensor is better then the Pens - more resolution and more dynamic range, the latter the more important. Oh, and it has still to be light. But that body with a 12-50 would be compelling.</p>

<p>There's no information as to the megapixels and other features. I suppose they'll go with 16 megapixels and hopefully better resolution and ability to shoot in low light conditions, higher ISO and greater performance. They will have to market the camera against the high-end Nikons and Canons.</p>

<p>I like the idea of m4:3 because I can use all my Pen F Zuikos and my Leica M-mount CV lenses on them. This looks nice but the price will be way out of range for this old guy. But the introduction of the 'newest and greatest' does sometimes drive down used prices so I might be able to swing an E-PL1 with a VF-2 now.</p>

<p>What I find amusing is some of the comments, almost to the effect of; 'Well, if they don't build exactly what I want then it's a total fail!' You don't see much of that tripe here at P-net but some forums seem full of it. Why do they comment at all? If Olympus is such a horrible camera, well, there are lots of brands to select from. They should do some more research, find something that meets their lofty standards, buy that camera and be happy. I hear the Leica S2 is pretty doggone good, and the body is only 23K.</p>

<p>And some people are fixed in a mental straightjacket of sorts. Gotta be full frame i.e. bigger than APS-C or 4/3 to be a serious newcomer. This at a time when most shots come from phones. No I do not stoke flames with one more ultimo defense of the quality of the smaller sensor sizes and their sequellae. We been there a lot. We even count 6X6 w 220 backs in our "full- frame" past, but time marches on...<br /> Go forth my son, take the right tool for the job as you see it. Nonetheless, If you are in a hole don't sneer at a rope ladder or those who use them successfully.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>dan Mar wrote:<br>

I like that it has the Portrait/Battery Grip but I do not like the fact you can only attach it with the other grip , meaning you cant just attach a battery grip alone.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Are you sure that's the case? It would seem silly it it is.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sanford Edelstein wrote:<br>

Miserere, so you are the Enticing the Light guy</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That would be me, sir.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>one of the sites I visit regularly.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks! Much appreciated. It's been a bit quiet there lately, so you might want to subscribe to the RSS feed or e-mail notifications. I just don't have as much time to write now :-(</p>

<p>It looks to me that the grips are exactly the same as in E-3 or E-5. The normal grip is built into the body and cannot be removed. The vertical grip and battery pack are one additional unit that attaches to the bottom. It probably holds two standard batteries, but the one in the camera needs to be removed to attach the grip.<br>

I wonder why the 'prism' is so big and stands out so high. If it is an EVF as is most likely, it could well be a bit lower to make the camera that much smaller. It is silly if they just want to make it look like an OM without any real purpose.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ilkka wrote:<br>

It looks to me that the grips are exactly the same as in E-3 or E-5. The normal grip is built into the body and cannot be removed. The vertical grip and battery pack are one additional unit that attaches to the bottom.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The E-M5 has no protruding grip, it's very much like an E-P3. Then there's an accessory grip for shooting in the horizontal position, and then there's a separate, accessory vertical grip for the portrait position (which may or may not be able to be mounted separately from the horizontal grip).</p>

<p>Is this what you're describing?</p>

<p>OK. I had not seen that picture before. Looks like they are really aping the old OM and have built a separate 'motordrive' that gives both vertical and horizontal grip. Coming back to my comment on the bulging prism housing. Not sure if that is a sensible thing. E-P1 was cute with its retro styling that made it look smaller than it is. If now they are trying to make a camera look like an OM-4 without any real reason, I think they are on completely wrong track. E-1 was good because it was a digital SLR built from the gound up, not a film conversion like all other DSLRs have been.</p>