"New " old Nikon 20 mm f4

<p>Focusing a 20mm lens on a 35mm camera is pretty trivial because your hyperfocal distance is pretty short. Just set yourself to f/8, focus distance three meters, and things will be just fine unless you try to shoot something that's less than a meter and a half away.</p>

<p>I believe that the late Galen Rowell used that focal length version within the Nikon 20mm versions.<br>

I have that lens along the earlier 20mm F3.5 UD and both are sharp and easy to use. The 20mm F4.0 is a bit harder to view due to its maximum aperture of 4.0. Its compactness and lighter weight makes up for this dimness.</p>

<p>I have the non-AI Nikkor 20mm f/4 (52mm filter size). It is one of my favorite lenses which I still shoot a lot on my Nikon equipment. Alas, it has a projection of unknown (but probably rear lens protection) function on the back that means it won't fit on 35mm sensor Canon digital cameras, or I'd use it even more.<br>

Never had a problem on mine with sharpness, even without considering the considerable depth of field.</p>

<p>It's just not possible to make judgments on a finer level from a 700 pixel-wide shot of the whole image, and <em>anything</em> will look fuzzy at pixel-peeping 100% blowups.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I have this lens also and have used it on my Canon 5D extensively. I covered the rear element well and used a dremel to reduce the height of the rear lens protector to clear the mirror. Works fantastic and with my OM Olympus 24mm f/2.8, it covers all my wide needs.</p>