NEW NIKON D80 USER NEEDS HELP

<p>I love photography, and for years I haven't had the luxury of an SLR...but for Christmas, my wonderful husband bought me a Nikon D80. So far I love it, but I have a million and one questions...so heres my question for you:<br>

I need suggestions on books, videos, or websites I can go to in order to learn what all the stuff like F/??? means and how to understand what all the markings on my lens means...pretty much...I know nothing...other than I love to take pictures and I finally have a wonderful camera that I dont understand.<br>

I have purchased the DVD instructional on the camera....but its really not much help...Im also going to take the Nikon class here in Houston in February. Im a working mother so I cant take any college classes although I would love to. So anything to help out a newbie is greatly appreciated!<br>

How come sometimes the camera wont let me take pics if I try to take them really close up? And when shooting in low light how can I get my pictures to come out (I love sunsets and take alot of indoor pics, but I hate using the built in flash, it makes all the pics washed out)<br>

The camera came with a: AF-S Nikkor 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED lens (I wish I knew what that means)<br>

So Thank you in advance for you help!<br>

Kayla</p>

<p>Magic Lantern Guide Books are pretty good.  They have a ton of info not found in the manual.    You can find them at Amazon.  They make them for just about every relevant camera made.<br>

One also place to learn is over at Flickr.  There is an entire group for the D80.  Just join Flickr and the D80 group and proceed to learn and ask questions.  I go by Eye Of Searle there and post from time to time.<br>

I tried to give you some links but PN seems to block competition.    Just type in Nikon D80 Users in the search box at Flickr and you will find the group.</p>

<p>Magic Lantern Guide Books are pretty good.  They have a ton of info not found in the manual.    You can find them at Amazon.  They make them for just about every relevant camera made.<br>

One also place to learn is over at Flickr.  There is an entire group for the D80.  Just join Flickr and the D80 group and proceed to learn and ask questions.  I go by Eye Of Searle there and post from time to time.<br>

I tried to give you some links but PN seems to block competition.    Just type in Nikon D80 Users in the search box at Flickr and you will find the group.</p>

<p>If the dial is set to "AUTO",the D80 will only let you take the picture if you have enough light, and the pic is in focus. If you want to shoot with the auto mode and without the pop up flash, turn the dial to "P".I love the pics that my D80 takes, especially the fill flash in portraits.Ive taken a few college and high school classes but still consider myself an amateur hobbyist.I have a daughter and shoot portraits of her with lens at about 80mm,and in "auto"mode. I prefer taking portraits outside and using the sun as a substitute "hairlight".The fill flash fills in subtle shadows under the eyes and chin and the lens range avoids the distortion of the face that you might notice if you take a picture too close. It sorta looks like the persons nose and mouth is coming out and big if you shoot portraits with the lens wider than say 80(lower number), it looks very unflattering. The lower number that you set the "iso", the sharper the photographs. I hope this isnt too elementary for you. </p>