New Nikon 300mm f4 E AF-S VR Phase Fresnel Lens Announced

Two23

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Uh oh. A deal killer for me:<br>

Due to the characteristics of a PF (Phase Fresnel) lens that utilizes the photo diffraction phenomenon, when there is a strong light source within the frame or when light enters the lens from outside of the frame, ring-shaped colored flare may occur....</p>

<p>I don't think this lens will play nice with the trains I like to photo. Trains have THREE strong lights!</p>

<p>Kent in SD<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>Almost half the weight as the previous version (755g vs 1440) and 3 inches shorter (5.8 vs 8.8). A 300mm lens that is as short as my Sigma 150/2.8! And lighter! And, as I expected (and feared) - the price is way up there: $2K! Looks like the tripod ring might be optional - wonder if it is included in the $2K price or cost extra?</p>

<p>I'd much rather a 400mm f4 or f5.6 like Canon makes.<br>

Once you get past the 300mm threshold, you're buying a freaking used car for the price.<br>

I have a 300mm 2.8 glued to a 1.4 TCII and it's still too short with a full frame.<br>

I love my Nikon lenses, but there are gaps I wish did not exist.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The tripod collar isn't included? But maybe that's a good thing.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wish Nikon had made it optional on the 80-400 as well - would have shaved $224 off the purchase price.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Same one as the 70-200 f4?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes indeed.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And the lens hood is not included in the price !</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It says that the hood is supplied with the lens on the Nikon USA website: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/AF-S-NIKKOR-300mm-f%252F4E-PF-ED-VR.html?cid=web-0115-300mm</p>

<p>Just realized it is an E lens - electromagnetic diaphragm. Is that what we can expect in all (at least the higher end) lenses from now on?</p>

<p>Kent, according to the Nikon website (with regard to ring-shaped colored flare), <em>"This phenomenon can be minimized with "PF Flare Control" included in Capture NX-D."</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

There are supposed to be sample images of this, both before and after correction but I can't seem to find them. Has anyone been able to locate them?</p>

<p>Erik, from the B&H link you provided - if you look at the tab "In the box" for the lens you'll find:</p>

<ul>

<li>77mm Snap-On Lens Cap</li>

<li>LF-4 Rear Lens Cap</li>

<li>HB-73 Bayonet Lens Hood for AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR</li>

<li>CL-M3 Lens Case (Black)</li>

<li data-selenium="alsoIncludeListItem">Limited 1-Year Warranty</li>

<li data-selenium="alsoIncludeListItem">Limited 4-Year USA Extension Warranty</li>

</ul>

<p>On the Nikon USA website the info is located under the "Accessories" tab for the lens listing.</p>

<p>Elliot: they are here - scroll almost to the bottom for the "PF" entry: <a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/glossary.htm#pf">http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/glossary.htm#pf</a></p>

<p>New type of flare! ;-) Think of all the creative uses ....</p>

<p>It is impressive that Nikon could make a 300/4 VR that weighs only 755 grams.</p>

<p>The electronic diaphragm isn't used in all new lenses; so far it has been implemented in lenses where the aperture is positioned far away from the lens mount, making it difficult to implement a mechanical diaphragm control system that can operate quickly.</p>

<p>It is impressively small; in fact one wonders if a tripod collar is really needed at all. Tempting as it looks, I'm not using my 300 f/4 frequent enough to warrant spending any money to replace it (and it is still a superb lens, after all). I just sit here fingers crossed they can give the 180mm f/2.8 a same make-over as the 300 f/4....</p>

<p>Looks like the update of the old catadioptric lenses (but faster and without a fixed aperture!). A very exciting release. <br /> Its 147mm (5.8") and 755 grams for a 300/4 lens is impressive. About the same bulk as the 24-70. Plus a removable tripod feet. Love it... :D</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Looks like it is the update of the old catadioptric lenses</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A catadioptric lens is a mirror lens, but the new 300mm/f4 AF-S VR uses a Fresnel element, similar to those used in lighthouses and Canon's Diffractive Optics (DO) lenses. The problem with DO is that those Canon lenses are very expensive and the optical quality is not always appreciated. However, those lenses are smaller and lighter compared to traditional lenses at the same focal length.<br /> <br /> Initially when Nikon gave us information that they were introducing a Fresnel version of the 300mm/f4 AF-ith VR, I immediately thought about the expensive Canon DO lenses and had the $3000 range for the Nikon 300mm/f4, but they quoted me a $1800 price tag, which is further updated to $2000 at final product introduction. Over 10 years ago, I paid $900 for a gray-market 300mm/f4 AF-S, which is now around $1300 for a Nikon USA version. Even $2000 is quite reasonable with PF and VR, and hopefully there will be some rebates down the road.</p>

<p>Similar to the Canon DO 400mm/f4, the new Nikon 300mm/f4 AF-S PF VR is super light and small. It is roughly the same size as the 24-70mm/2.8 AF-S, which is amazing for a 300mm. It uses the same optional, removable tripod collar as the 70-200mm/f4 AF-S VR. Since very few people would buy the Nikon collar without the Arca Swiss-style quick release, most people would buy a Kirk, RRS or other third-party collar anyway. For those who already have the 70-200mm/f4, you can share the same collar, which is not that necessary for this fairly small super tele.</p>

<p>The real question is optical quality. About a decade ago when Canon introduced the first 400mm/f4 DO, a few people over on the Nature Forum bought it and then returned as they could not accept the optical quality and bokah. Therefore, we need to test the new 300mm/f4 PF in actual situations to see where its limits are. If this technology works well, hopefully Nikon will expand it to longer lenses, where the weight saving will be more substantial. Otherwise, the current 300mm/f4 AF-S is still optically excellent and really is not all that big to hand hold, but its tripod collar is notoriously poor and its AF is rather slow.</p>

<p>BTW, the new 300mm/f4 AF-S VR is an E lens, so only the higher-end bodies from the D3 on can control its aperture without the mechanical coupling. However, it is fully compatible with all TC-nnE teleconverters. Of course, if you use a 1.7x or 2x TC, the overall maximum aperture will drop below f5.6 and only some newer DSLRs can AF with that combo.</p>

<p>Product image copyright Nikon USA</p><div>00d3Dg-553848184.jpg.b91cd2234ff8486bf401dd7a9212ac6a.jpg</div>

<p>At $2k, I'll buy one the day it becomes available.</p>

<p>Very nice technological advancement, beautiful little 300. Nikon, you nailed it with this lens. Outstanding!!! I hope it runs good with the TC17.</p>

<p>First on the wait-list at Competitive Camera in Dallas :-)</p>

<p>BTW, this lens is comparable to the 24-70/2.8. The 300 is a fraction of an inch longer and significantly lighter. The VR is rated for 4.5 stops, so I'm guessing it betters the 70-200/4G-VR performance, which isn't shabby at all. This 300 might be hand-holdable in less than optimum light. No question, this lens will be a smash hit, and will have the likes of Canon and Sony scrambling to come up with something similar. The bottom line with this lens is that we can carry a high-performance 300 in our everyday bag. Also, the resale value of the 300/4AF-S just dropped dramatically. If you're thinking of upgrading, I'd put out a classified today.</p>

<p><em>Nikon, you nailed it with this lens. Outstanding!!!</em></p>

<p>Don't you need to see any pictures first? I get excited too, but usually it's about the photographs ... So far we have only specifications and an example that the PF element causes a new type of flare:</p>

<p>http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/glossary.htm</p>

<p>For me one of the main applications for a lens like this would be stage photography, and this flare could make the 300 PF a non-starter since very often the performers are backlit with stage lights that can also be in the frame. But it remains to be seen how severe the effect is in real world applications.</p>

<p>For travel photography and whenever walking on foot long distances, this lens could be exceptionally attractive, if the image quality is good. But that yet needs to be determined. </p>

<p>Ilkka, no, don't need to see any photos. After all, when was the last time a professional grade Nikkor lens was a disappointment? I suppose it was the 70-200/2.8VR-I, which didn't materialize until people started mounting it on FX bodies.</p>

<p>Also, I sold my 300/4 AF-S about a year ago, expecting a VR version to arrive sooner that it has. This is an easy decision for me. Confident this lens will be stellar.</p>

<p>BTW, regarding PF flare. This lens has to have been extensively mathematically modeled, and I feel sure the flare correction algorithm that Nikon will incorporate into its software will do a superb job of correcting for it.</p>

<p>Low risk gamble, as far as I am concerned. And, it it's a dog, I'll have 30 days to return it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I feel sure the flare correction algorithm that Nikon will incorporate into its software will do a superb job of correcting for it</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The example shown here does not bode well if you are hoping the software to work miracles. </p>

<p>http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/glossary.htm#pf</p>

<p>Like someone else has said, maybe Nikon is providing worst case examples to keep expectations grounded.</p>