New model gossip?

beth_adams

<p>Anyone hearing anything about any new models?</p>

<p>I'm in a conundrum. I currently use a D300s as a photographer who does mostly candid animal or animal performance/competition shoots.</p>

<p>I have seriously considered moving on up the scale into full frame, but don't find the fps to be as good as the D300s without getting into some major moola (which at this point I have to spend on glass). For obvious reasons, I need to be able to shoot very quickly - stopping the action on a greyhound has demands that most of my friends (who are family or wedding photographers) don't understand.</p>

<p>Any rumors? Any advice/input??</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>If the D300s is still working for you, I think I'd stick with it. There's nothing newer, short of a D4, that will shoot at 7 FPS. If slower frame rates were an option I'd say consider the D800 - you can use full frame mode for candids or if you're shooting action from more of a distance, go to DX frame and it becomes pretty much a D7000 with better AF. I have mine set up so that one of the function buttons is for cycling through frame area modes.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Very unlikely there will be any new DSLR bodies in the foreseeable future.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Answered hopefully with tongue planted firmly in cheek.<br>

2013 will very likely see the replacement of the D7000 (already heavily discounted now at $897 for the body) and the D300S. Speculations abound on whether there will actually be two different models or a merger of the two lines - at this point, only Nikon and maybe a few select know (and those would be under NDA).<br>

The D5200 will certainly arrive in January 2013 on the US market and it is also conceivable that an update for the D3200 be announced later in the year - not that either will do well as your D300S replacement.<br>

So, unless your D300S is dying, just hold out a little longer.</p>

<p>The rumor sites aren't always wildly off but neither is PN always on the money.</p>

<p>Thom Hogan has some thoughts on what's likely to show up next year. I'd guess there's a D300s and/or D7000 replacement(s) in our future. Heavy discounting of the D7000 suggests one or more high-end DX bodies are coming. FX? Anyone's guess.</p>

<p>Beth -</p>

<p>Do a search for Nikon Rumors - that will give you all the rumors you want...</p>

<p>Anyone on Pnet that has access to what nikon (or Canon or anyone) is going to introduce, but has not yet announced is covered by a Non-disclosure agreement (NDA) at this point. NDA's typically run up until the official announcement by Nikon, then all of sudden you will see a ton of photos, articles, etc... featuring images from the just released but not yet available body / lens.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Anyone hearing anything about any new models?"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Them that knows can't say (non-disclosure agreements). Them that claims they does, don't really (although their guesses are often close). There are plenty of photo rumour sites that are the journalistic equivalent to <em>The National Enquirer</em> where you can endlessly speculate about what's coming down the pike. That's not the purpose (thankfully) of this forum.</p>

<p>But one does not need to be especially clairvoyant to recognize that some models, particularly in the DX format (D300s), are overdue for replacement. When that actually happens and with what, only Nikon and a select few really know. And they ain't talking (yet). ;-) :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I can't imaging why Nikon would replace the D300s? Makes no sense. Maybe the D7000 is going away because the D3200 and D5200 are plenty for the DX market.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The D300s is 'old' tech. It's got good AF and it's fast but also low res, low DR and noisy. The D3200 & D5200 can't AF with Non AF-S lenses....infact the D3200's AF is pretty mediocre.</p>

<p>If the D7000 'goes', it makes the 'old' D300s the <strong><em>only</em></strong> current DX body that will AF with non AF-S lenses.</p>

<p>The D600 cannot compete in fps for sports use.... they gotta make something soon, not everyone can justify or spring for the D4.</p>

<p>I checked out the D600 and was underwhelmed. Especially for the money. I don't see any way this is a "professional" camera. I'm still thinking NIkon will replace the D300, and it's always possible it will be announced at Photokina. If you don't want to wait, check out the Canon 7D. I certainly have been. It does 8 fps, BTW. If Nikon doesn't want to compete with the 7D, I will say "bye bye."</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>And I checked out the V2 and was underwhelmed. Small sensor, no CLS speedlight compatibilty. Checked out the image quality. Typical small sensor quality.</p>

<p>What are they thinking? At the moment they seem unable to keep up with the competition in just about every way.</p>

<p>I was also underwhelmed by the P7700 digital compact...</p>

<p>If there is nothing to buy that suits our needs, we can't be Nikonians anymore.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Apparently the D600 <em>is</em> the replacement of the D300s.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not at all apparent to me. If I had to replace my D300 right now, I'd be buying a D300S - for lack of a viable alternative!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the D3200 and D5200 are plenty for the DX market</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks for the good laugh ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm still thinking NIkon will replace the D300, and it's always possible it will be announced at Photokina</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That would be two years down the road in September of 2014 - I don't think it will take THAT long.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Well, if it's on Wikipedia, it must be the gospel truth.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just about what I was thinking when I read Ann's post ;-)</p>

<p>For example, AFAIK, the D90 is still available new - so it's a bit of a stretch to write the D7000 in as its replacement. From the spec, the D800/D800E could also serve as the D3X replacement; and the D600 is a logical D700 replacement if one considers that it continues its trend towards lower priced FX bodies.</p>

<p>[[idunno when the V2 will actually be available, even tho' its existence has officially been confirmed.]]</p>

<p>BestBuy.com Adorama.com BHPhotovideo.com Amazon.com Cameta.com </p>

<p>How many more places do you need, Lex? </p>

<p> </p>