New Micro Four thirds camera.

manut

Just read about the new launch by Oly/Pan of their new micro fourthirds, where they will have a mirrorless body and

reduce the mount to sensor distance by half resulting in smaller bodies and smaller lenses in the wide and longer

telephoto ranges. Compatiable with current foiurthirds with an adaptor.

Something even smaller than a 420 with the same sensor size, what do you think about it ?

Sounds an awful amount like a leica with a 4/3rds sensor. I see nothing wrong with it.

Hell I would have loved if Olympus had made something like this back in the OM days that was a range finder and would accept OM lenses. My biggest gripe with P&S cameras is the tiny sensor chip and my next gripe is lack of interchangable lenses.

Now if they will make a 9mm f/2.8, 12mm f/2.8, 14mm f/1.4, 17mm f/2 and 25mm f/1.4 lenses in 4/3rds size I'll be happy.

Sounds good to me. It is possible that the electronic viewfinders will be bigger, brighter, and easier to use

than the tiny pentamirror viewfinders in the "standard" 4/3 cameras, so that's a definite plus. And without the

mirror, these cameras should be super quiet, which is another bonus. (Lack of mirror should also reduce

vibration, no doubt.)

Bring it on!

'As often happens in the history of photographic equipment, Olympus innovates and Canon, Nikon and the rest will follow, probably claiming it was their idea in the first place.'

'Innovates' is a bit of a stretch here isn't it? I think most people could see this coming from the point at which Panasonic joined the 4/3rds consortium, but it seems to me the only real innovation is the idea of taking a risk on something which people have been pontificating about for the best part of five years in the general discussion area of most photographic websites.

Relatedly, is the sensor-to-flange distance compatible with the leica bayonet?

I hope that at least one version of these new cameras (perhaps a Leica version?) will employ an optical (!) viewfinder

with framelines rather than an electronic viewfinder. Like the Leica M-cameras, there is a practical limit to the focal

lengths that can be used with a framelines viewfinder. Not a problem for those who like the "rangefinder" approach.

I don't see much likelihood there will be a mechanical rangefinder in such a camera, but I personally can live with

autofocus if it works well. There should also be provision for manual scale focusing.

With their 11-point electrical contacts, this M-like camera will not be taking M-lenses. However, it's exciting to

think what jewels of lenses Leica and Olympus might create for this new concept. Personally, I moved in and out of

DSRL's because of my aggravation with the size and shape of lenses relative to the small real estate of 4/3's and

APS sensors. But this new Micro Four-Thirds concept looks very promising.

You can buy the glass and still use both the regular 4/3rd's DSLR's or this new camera, which will have an adaptor you can get that retains the original lens to sensor distance, so the lenses will remain the same effective focal lengths they are on the DSLR's. This news isn't stopping my current lens buying plans, and two or three of the premium lenses are just down the road.

As I read the press release the two systems will coexist. Personally I like the current size of the E410 – E520

series, but I can see there might be individuals that would like a smaller camera body. I guess they will continue to

make the standard glass for sometime as they will support the E-3 user community with the high end lens.

It's about damn time. The 4/3's sensor is the same size as a 110 negative, so why are the cameras and lenses so

dang big? Actually... 50% smaller flange to sensor distance would make it smaller than a Leica, and smaller

than a Pen F even! The 4/3's registration distance is 38.7mm... half of that is 19mm... thats freaking TINY. We

are talking about a P-N-S

camera with a huge diameter lens mount capable of accepting fast lenses. With a throat opening of 44mm and a

depth of 19mm, you can imagine that very very fast and compact lenses are easily possible with this design. With

the option of still using the "full" size 4/3's lenses this is awesome... and with a registration distance of

19mm... you will be able to mount ANY 35mm lens and many Cine lenses to these cameras quite easily... lets hope

they release a semi-professional version that will automatically do AF confirm and metering for legacy lenses!

For the optical viewfinder naysayers... all that has to be done is the addition of an accsessory shoe and you can buy the proper view-angle viewfinders from Cosina/Voigtlander. Although.... the 4/3's standard is 13x17.3mm... if the sensor to flange distance is 19mm+, I don't see any reason why an SLR version of this standard would'nt be possible. The Pen F uses a frame that is 18x24 with a film-to-flange registration distance of 27mm... so I'm seeing at least the possibility of a very compact SLR. Leica is not the way to be thinking... Pentax 110 SLR is the way to be thinking... TINY.

Patrick, 19mm doesn't seem like enough room for a moving mirror. Remember, the shutter, and SSWD glass sits in front of the sensor, reducing the distance still more. I don't even think a fixed beam splitter would have enough room. The Pen f flange to film distance is 28.95 mm, and the mirror has cutoff at more than 100mm and still sticks above the inside of the flange when released. I've got 2 Pen F's, brilliant design but right on the ragged edge in operational clearance. If I were building it I would try to vastly improve the electronic viewfinder resolution and refresh rate. I think this would make it a viable TTL viewing camera.

Pen F is 18mm x 24mm, 4/3s is 13mm x 17mm.... so really the comparison is pretty similar. But they are going without a mirror, which will make the cameras MUCH cheaper to build and hopefully to buy. A more in-depth overview with illustrations from dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080501microfourthirds.asp

Not long ago we were talking about a 4/3's camera the size of an Oly XA and many people said that would be impossible... and now Oly is announcing a 4/3's camera even smaller than an XA.... that IS impressive. This camera also addresses the fast wide lens problem thats been brought up many times. And here's another review, with an interesting illustration showing possible scale... which looks a little on the small side... being half the size of my Oly 35RC:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/05/olympus-and-panasonic-launch-micro-four-thirds-dslrs-enter-a-ne/

This is definitely innovative. 'Innovative' does not mean 'take everyone by surprise with something no one ever thought of', it

just means doing something that advances the field. To say this is not innovative is to say that the one who thinks and

refrains from doing is greater than the one who thinks and carries the idea to execution.

Olympus sure caught me by surprise. I don't know about you -all but I think the concept is exciting. Wife says with her unquestionable (:-) logic " I can barely manage the tiny buttons on my PDA now.." The younger generation is apparently different. Small is better and tiny is even better yet. A camera on a watch chain. This is a company that makes medical imaging devices designed for narrow places where the sun don't shine, and microscopes too.

Removing the mirror box opens up many fascinating possibilities. Having two lens mounts indeed is strange at first glance, but then "Why not?" My guess is that we will see some product by December. Especially when you have Panasonic working on it too. And yes,there will be a kit and it will be priced competitively. No fools they.