New M8.x firmware now available

<p>Leica site just posted new firmware update 2.014 for M8 series cameras.<br>

It "optimizes internal processes" and includes support for the Super-elmar 21mm lens.<br>

Those of us hoping for menu driven lens identification will have to wait for firmware 3.0 (or quit hoping!)</p>

<p>Gray,<br>

Thanks for the information. Glad to know that there are still people out there using the M8. However, from the zero responses to your posting, I am wondering if people want even to border with the update due to the relative primitive software/firmware of the M8. (Perhaps this was because the German Software engineers are not as brilliant as the American and Japanese ones? If you ever owned a late model BMW or Mercedes you may know why.)<br>

After a number of tries, here is how I did it using a year-old Mac-mini:<br>

1. Go to the Leica website and click Download on the upper tool bar.<br>

2. Select software/firmware update and select M8 in the subcategory. There should be a whole page of information and update files listed for M8/M8.2. If only the update for V2.005 shows, you are in the wrong place. Close up and try again. May be you logged onto a wrong Leica website.<br>

3. Download, read and print out the Read-me file first.<br>

4. you need to format the SD card in the M8; take the card out and insert it into a card reader connected to your Mac. <br>

5. GO TO THE SAFARI PREFERENCE MANUAL AND CHANGE THE DOWNLOAD FOLDER TO THE SD CARD YOU JUST INSERTED. YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE A NAME FOR IT BUT MINE SHOWED UP AS "NO NAME".<br>

6. Insert the SD card back to your M8. Follow the rest of the instructions on the Read-Me file and you should be able to update the M8 firmware to 2.014 i.e. <br>

I have yet to find out what the "optimize internal processes"m means. May be faster processing, no freezing or brilliant JPG files ?</p>

<p>I was not able to do the update using my Window 7 based laptop.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Tom,<br>

I have three digital Nikons and the F2, N90s, the F100, F4, and F5 with perhaps 50 lenses, the last one, the 70-180 mm macro zoom. The last one, the D700, is my main camera when not traveling by air. I traveled overseas with the N90s, D70 and D200. The color of the jpg files generated by the D700 is just incomparably brilliant.</p>

<p>Why should I border with the ridiculously expensive Leicas then? It is because it is tiny, and still very "old fashioned". </p>

<p>"optimizes internal processes"</p>

<p>I hope that Gray, Jeff or someone will be able to test the new firmware and be able to discern what and how much difference that makes. Leica's expression is rather vague, or did they provide more details than that? </p>

<p>Thanks, Berg. Unless I read it wrongly, it seems to relate to CPU functions and perhaps makes them less subject to malfunction or simplifies the servicing procedures. Probably worthwhile for the longevity of the camera. </p>

<p>It is all speculation. I don't think it would extend the life of the camera. I shot twenty pictures using an updated M8.2 on "c" and the camera appeared to write the files faster and quieter. The colors were as dull as before on the jpeg files out of the camera with a yellow tinge on all.</p>

<p>Kin, what on earth does your critique of your M8.2 have to do with the longevity of the camera?</p>

<p>Perhaps it is better to have a less than optimum image on occasion from a camera that can be serviced and for which parts exist farther down the road (like 40 year old Leica M4's and later) than to have a CanNikon which has no parts or service available after less than ten years. But I won't try to hold you up now from attending Mass at your local Nikon church.</p>

<p>Arthur, why attack Nikon and people who uses Nikon? Are people who use Nikon inferior than those who confessed to still using the M4s? I bet you 99.9% of the people in this forum grab their digi Nikon/Canon at critical moments first instead of their very expensive manual focus Leicas. <br>

Don't get me wrong, I like the M8.2. That is why I responded to Gray's lead since there was nobody responding to it for over 24 hours. </p>

<p>Kin, no personal thoughts intended. I just think it is silly to always see Leica versus Nikon arguments being made in the Leica forum. They are like apples and oranges, but both are good for one's health although for different reasons. You are lucky to be able to have both.</p>

<p>Ray, When I test he camera to see how the new firmware upgrade may improve the JPEG, I set DNG+JPEG. DNG files are OK which I mean color neutral.<br>

The yellow tint appeared when I set the saturation to moderate high or high. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ray, When I test he camera to see how the new firmware upgrade may improve the JPEG, I set DNG+JPEG. DNG files are OK which I mean color neutral.<br>

The yellow tint appeared when I set the saturation to moderate high or high. </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>