New Lenses. Z 28-75mm f2.8 and Z 800mm f6.3 PF..

mike_halliwell

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikon already have several Z zooms that start from 24mm; I perhaps have three already and there is a 24-120mm S coming. To me, the timing for this 28-70mm/f2.8 non-S is strange as it competes directly against the new 24-120 S, and they are very close in price. It looks like this 28-75 is a rebadged Tamron lens.

Tamron has two 28-70mm/f2.8 for the Sony E mount. Check the cross-section diagram for the first Tamron version: TAMRON | 28-75mm F/2.8 Di III RXD

Optically, that looks identical to the new Nikon lens: Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR Z 28-75mm f/2.8

But there are other, mechanical differences from the Tamron.

Better start saving for the latter....

My price estimate for the 800/6.3 PF is $10k. I rather see a 600/6.3 PF for under $5k (possibly even $4.5k). I don't think Nikon is selling many of the F-mount 800/5.6 lenses; the f/6.3 PF appears to me to be an effort at cutting cost with the benefit of saving weight. I wonder if Nikon will have the courage to produce a Z-mount 400/4 PF lens (possibly with a matching 1.4x TC (for a 560/5.6)) at a below $5k price point. I'd rather see the 600/6.3 though.

Tamron has two 28-70mm/f2.8 for the Sony E mount.

Quite successful lenses - I had been thinking about getting the 1st version at some point (hard to get at times back then, at least for MSRP; believe the price was even increased at some point). My guess is that it's success was partially due to the f/2.8 maximum aperture at a reasonable price and the better optical quality compared to the overpriced and underperforming Sony/Zeiss 24-70/4. Not sure I would take this over the Nikon Z 24-70/4S (if I was going for such a limited range zoom and not pick the 24-120/4 instead).

• Like 1

I doubt the 800/6.3 will come in under 2,5kg/5.5lbs - which would make it hand-holdable. It'll give a bit narrower FOV on FX than the 500/5.6 PF gives on DX (equivalent to 750mm FOV) - so one can then use the full resolution of the high-MP FX bodies in the same way as I have been using the D500/500PF combo so far). I can dream that the 800 PF will "only" cost around $6k - but I think that number (which assumes a linear price-focal-length relationship) is unrealistic (on account of the 125mm diameter front element needed). Extrapolating the prices of the 500/4 and the 300/2.8 both times gets me around $10k. We'll find out the price of admission soon enough ;)

Perhaps starting with 28mm allows Nikon to offer the f/2.8 lens at the same price at the f/4 which started from 24mm?

I think Nikon wants in on the Tamron success with that lens (which quite likely could be a re-branded and slightly modified Tamron anyway). And, of course, it is a less pricey alternative to the quite expensive 24-70/2.8 lens.

I am much more intrigued by Tamron releasing the 35-150/2-2.8 (though heavy and pricey). I have the excellent F-mount 35-150/2.8-4 for which I traded my Sigma 24-105/4. I realized that for most of my shooting scenarios, the 24-35 range wasn't that important to have in the mid-range zoom (most of the time, I would want to go wider and had to resort to the 15-30 or 16-35 anyway) but that having a bit more reach came in quite handy (and often allowed me to leave the 70-200/4 at home). I am glad that I don't have to do any shooting where I would need to rely on a 24-70/2.8 or 28-75/2.8; the range is just too narrow for my taste.

• Like 1

To me, the timing for this 28-75mm/f2.8 non-S is strange as it competes directly against the new 24-120 S, and they are very close in price. It looks like this 28-75 is a rebadged Tamron lens.

I think the 24-120 belongs to a different category. Photographers who want the extended zoom range (in both directions) will choose the new 24-120, assuming they can afford it. I think the 28-75 competes more with the 24-70/4 S, as a relatively compact and affordable standard zoom. The choice is between the wider angle of view or a zoom range shifted slightly towards the telephoto range and a faster aperture. The MTF suggests the Nikon 24mm zooms are sharper wide open, but the 28-75 might be comparable at f/4. I expect the 28-75 is sold as at kit lens with the Z5.

There are now plenty of mid-range zooms for the Z mount. I am a little surprised Nikon did not make a telephoto zoom a higher priority. Something like 70-200/4 or 75-300/4-5.6 would fill a big hole in their current lineup.

Z 800mm f6.3 PF S link See press releases and make press enquiries

Better start saving for the latter....:cool:

I couldn't help wondering if a 700/5.6 would be a better balance between focal length and speed. 800mm and f/6.3 seems rather long and slow to me (but it is nearly two stops faster than the Canon 800/11). A 700/5.6 would have a front element would be about the same size as the 800/6.3 so overall the lens would be about the same size, a little shorter which would be easier to hand-hold. Adding a 1.4x TC would also give a useful 1000/8 lens. However, I have no doubt the 800/6.3 will be popular with birders where every mm of reach is useful.

The choice is between the wider angle of view or a zoom range shifted slightly towards the telephoto range and a faster aperture.

I wonder why they didn't aim for a "truer in-between" 28-90/2.8 to include the more traditional portrait focal lenghts of 85/90mm.

Bird photographers must be doing well financially when 800mm f/6.3 lenses and Z9 camera bodies are discussed with apparent intention to buy ...

D5/D6 bodies, 500/4, 600/4, 800/5.6 and 180-400/4 lenses are in the same price category - if anything, the Z9/800PF combo will cost a bit less than either of the F-mount options.

For me personally, I would never have purchased a D5 or D6 for bird photography (not enough resolution); the Z9 is the first single-digit Nikon that fits the bill perfectly.

I do see some bird photographers who recently got the A1/200-600 combo - that's some $9k right there.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 1

The D5/6 are sports and photojournalism targeted cameras, not bird photography. A D500 or D850 is probably a better fit for birds for most situations and much less expensive.

One can get a 500 PF for 4k€ and used 500/4 for 4000-6000€ depending on model. A used 200-400/4 might cost as little as 1k€ and was a common lens for bird photography with DX (and continues to be used).

I would expect the 800/6.3 to cost slightly less than 400/2.8 so it might be in the range of 9-11k€. In addition one probably needs something shorter such as 180-400 or the 70-200/2.8 and 400/2.8 or the 100-400 for situations where the 800 is just too long.

A Z9 + 800 PF is certainly going to cost much more than a D500 + 200-400 or 500/4 or 500 PF and could be almost twice the price of Sony A1 + 200-600. But Nikon are also going to have a 200-600 some time in 2022 or 2023 and that will be more affordable.

What surprises me is how suddenly it sounds like people who normally are very reluctant to buy expensive gear are seriously talking about buying a camera and lens that is easily twice the cost of their usual gear, and the investment doesn't include coverage of the more common focal lengths, requiring additional lenses.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

A D500 or D850 is probably a better fit for birds and much less expensive.

It depends whether or not you are talking about professional bird photographers or enthusiasts/amateurs. For the former, AF performance and fps are most important and almost every Nikon bird photographer I know of uses a D5 or D6 nowadays. There has been a shift though and D850 bodies are also frequently seen now, as are D500. Standard lens for a professional bird photographer is a 600/4 and many often own a 500/4 as well (often for traveling). A 180-400/4 (with the build-in TC) or the 200-400/4 that came before it (and cost less than half) are more suitable for wildlife than for avian photography. Many nowadays own a 500PF as well.

I do agree that for an enthusiast/amateur like myself a D500 or D850 with the 500PF is a very good solution (I had considered the 200-400 version 1 way back but ultimately decided against it and nowadays the 200-500/5.6 is the better buy anyway). To get the D850 frame rate up to almost D500 level, unfortunately the battery grip and large battery are needed (plus the appropriate charger), so the cost compared to the D500 doubles. I currently own both a D500 and a D850 - both of which I can replace with a Z9 that should perform better than either of them. At introduction, the D500 cost $2k and a D850 cost $3.3k back then - so a new Z9 is only $200 more than both those together. I don't want to spend $5.5k (plus tax and plus extra battery and CFx card) on a camera body - but it's the only option to get the performance (gain over the D500/D850) I am after.

For most enthusiast/amateur bird photographers, the 800 PF will be overkill and many professionals will opt for a 600/4 plus 1.4xTC instead. IF the 800/6.3 comes in at below $6k (doubtful) it'll see more takers; at $10k it will sell slightly better than the current 800/5.6 (which not even many professional bird photographers own).

• Like 1

On my Nikon FX DSLRs, I much prefer using my Nikon 24-85mm f3.5-f4.5 and not my Nikon 24-70mm f2.8. The former is much smaller and lighter and easier to use than the larger and heavier 24-70mm f2.8. And its cost is significantly less.

For Z bodies Nikon as two S lenses, both 24-70mm. The f4 costs about half that of the f2.8. And the 24-70mm f4 is about $200 less than the just announced Nikon 28-75 f2.8. I am not sure which one I might purchase, the Nikon 24-70mm f4 or the Nikon 28-75mm f2.8.

I think the pandemic is the reason certain individuals suddenly have plenty of money to buy camera equipment. Of course a lot of people have lost their jobs and depend on food banks, etc. But there is also a large group who can work from home and their investments are doing well. However, they have not been able to travel so that they have extra money.

I have two friends with the F-mount 800mm/f5.6 AF-S VR. One is an MD who is a professor doing biological research at Stanford. Another guy is clearly well off and in his 70's. He has all the new stuffs D4, D5, D6, Z7, 800mm, etc. If I am in that age group, I probably would be far more willing to spend money on camera and travel too. Who knows how many more good years one has?

A 800mm/f6.3 is going to have a similar size front element as a 500mm/f4. Based on that it should cost over $10K, and a large PF element up front is going to be very costly. I assume Nikon's production yield for PF is improving. Perhaps like the 500mm PF, which I thought would be over $5K, we may get a price break from Nikon for the 800mm/f6.3 Z PF.

I assume Nikon's production yield for PF is improving.

Maybe a significant improvement in manufacturing method resulting in quicker, so cheaper, PF elements?

I think the 'low' pricing of the Z9 is partially responsible for the possibility of buying such expensive glass. Trade in the old and can now afford the new.

Regarding re-badging.. These cross sections are similar, but not the same..

Nikkor Z 28-75mm f/2.8 lens additional coverage (the first Tamron lens for Nikon Z-mount) - Nikon Rumors

Edited by mike_halliwell

Others have made some calculations of the 800mm's size from the Nikon Z Lens Roadmap picture chart. Approximate size is 140mm x 314mm. For comparison, the Nikon F mount 500mm f5.6 pf is 106mm x 237mm. And the Nikon F mount AF-S 500mm f4 E is 140mm x 387mm.

That makes sense since a 800mm/f6.3 should have roughly the same front element diameter as a 500mm/f4. Last month I did check with a Nikon rep, and he said the lens sizes should have the right proportion on the roadmap. The 500mm/f5.6 PF is very compact for a 500mm lens. Hopefully so will the 800mm PF.