New Lens, Old Camera Question

Howdy. I have a 1st generation Olympus OMD EM1. I had the camera set up for RAW only images. Recently I got a new lens, a 7-14mm Pro. Using it yesterday, It turns out the camera is now set to JPEG and I cannot for the life of me find a way to reset it to RAW.

I wonder if the 7-14mm lens might restrict the allowable amount of data captured in camera?

Would it perhaps be an effect of using an older SD card?

ALSO would there be firmware or other updates available for my camera?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new card and firmware update seem like good places to start. When I put the newer 14mm Panasonic on my GF1, it won't rotate vertical photos to display vertically in review. Found out it needs a firmware update for the lens, never really got around to it yet.
  • Like 1

Camera in HDR or Art mode? That would allow JPEG only.

This

Give the mode dial a twist, even if it's already on 'M', it might have somehow bumped to another setting.

There might be some other settings that could exclude RAW capture, but I'm afraid I'm still learning my Olympus.. usual suspects would be anything like HDR or maybe very high or low (extended) ISO settings.

Thanks guys. I never use art mode and don't like HDR. Generally speaking I want to get the max amount of information into each file- far as I know that means RAW with as little interference as possible?

I was shooting yesterday in shutter priority and auto. That said, by the end of the day the camera was acting all kind of weird. I do have more "modern" cards, I'll try one of them. I can probably find my cable to connect the thing to my iMac desktop, if I can I'll try to update the firmware while I'm messing around with it all. I've had the thing since new and it's been across the Atlantic on 4 different occasions with me. Not sure I ever have tried to update it at all!

I found one possibility in "settings menu G", IIRC, it had everything BUT RAW.

I have no answers for this, and there is no mention of any firmware required to support the 7-14mm Pro, although there have been some significant firmware updates over the years. Just curious, does the camera operate normally with another Olympus lens? You can try Olympus tech support (LOL), but you may want to consider a complete reset back to factory specs if you can't get the problem solved.
  • Like 1

The amount of data captured is determined by the sensor, not the lens. Also the SD card records the data captured by the sensor and has nothing to do with the lens.

Have you pressed the <OK> button and tried to change JPG/RAW via the LCD screen display?

Yes, there have been a lot of firmware updates for the EM1. You will need to download and install Olympus Workspace to your computer. Then the updates are accessed via a menu option. The software will tell you if a firmware update is required for your new lens.

OM-D E-M1 | Olympus

• Like 2

Enabling distortion/vignetting or other correction for the lens would probably disable RAW saving, since those corrections can only be applied to a JPEG.

They could be applied to a lossless TIFF file, but TIFFs seem to have fallen out of favour with camera makers.

No, you get a corrected JPEG and an uncorrected RAW, at least with Olympus, Panasonic and Fujifilm.

I don't think that it's actually possible to disable the lens corrections for the JPEG on Olympus/micro four thirds?

• Like 2

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions and comments.

Just had a thought: I have the aspect ratio set to 3:2- would that perhaps limit the camera function from RAW to jpeg? I imagine default would be 4:3, yes?

I'll have to dig my box out to find a cable to connect the camera to my desktop. Pretty sure I did a firmware update on the camera right out of the box- but none since. I bought the camera just as version 2.0 was released. Version I was on its way out and was on sale. Basically for the a bit less than the cost of a new Pro 12/40mm lens, I got the camera body too.

Question: will ANY USB > mini USB cable work or should I have THE one supplied by Olympus?

I haven't tried a "reset" yet but have been considering doing so.

You can use any USB cable that has the right size connectors and (!) fully connects, i.e. does not only connects the power connections on both ends.

There are cables that are only good for charging USB devices and do not link the data connection through to the other end. Sometimes it is mentioned on the packaging that a cable is a data cable. You need a data cable.

• Like 1

I've just been through all the settings on my E-PM1 and I couldn't actually find anything that disabled RAW. Art filters still give me a RAW + jpeg, as does iAuto, scene, etc. I don't have HDR though. Aspect ratios are fine too. I didn't go as far as to put the card in a computer to see if the RAW was still 4:3, regardless of the ratio selected, but some cameras do...

Definitely try a reset.

One thought, does the E-M1 have two card slots?

• Like 1

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions and comments.

Just had a thought: I have the aspect ratio set to 3:2- would that perhaps limit the camera function from RAW to jpeg? I imagine default would be 4:3, yes?

I'll have to dig my box out to find a cable to connect the camera to my desktop. Pretty sure I did a firmware update on the camera right out of the box- but none since. I bought the camera just as version 2.0 was released. Version I was on its way out and was on sale. Basically for the a bit less than the cost of a new Pro 12/40mm lens, I got the camera body too.

Question: will ANY USB > mini USB cable work or should I have THE one supplied by Olympus?

I haven't tried a "reset" yet but have been considering doing so.

Aspect ratio affects the JPG. RAW will not be changed.

Firmware is up to version 4.

On my cameras there are two resets: basic and full.

Most USB cables have data function. Either your cable will work or it won't.

I included a link to firmware update instructions in my post above.

Edited by Mark Salo
  • Like 1

Then again, who needs RAW anymore.

Anyone that wants perfect colour without setting a custom WB for each shot, or who wants more than a standard dynamic range without bracketing, or who wants to customise their sharpening to a specific print size.... or anyone that wants to get the image quality that they've paid for out of their expensive camera.

And I hope that question was asked ironically.

• Like 3

I’m curious, do you have an example of your optimal raws and jpeg conversion?

Plenty, yes.

Why would you doubt there is more/better to be had optimising what's there than what an in-camera conversion produces? You do understand there are detailed and often complex choices to be made which a stupid program embedded in a camera can't get right?

And no, you're showing complete ignorance calling caring about the image you get "pixel peeping". It's image peepong, i.e. just that: actually caring about the image.

• Like 1

You have been explained, by quite a few, what the added benefits of raw format are. They are the same as doing darkroom work instead of handing your film over to Wallmart and making do with the bad prints they produce.

That you are asking for samples is, in short, a ludicrous sign of immaturity, a show of disregard and disrespect towards all those who spent a bit of their time providing you with good reasons why the raw format is anything but a waste of anyones time.

I can accept that some people just do not care about quality. You apparently are one of them. So be it. Go waste your own time in future.