New Leicas, including M9

Found on leicarumours.com

"8/25/2008 7:07 PM andrea wrote:

Small M 10-13Mpx not full frame .....M9 13-16Mpx....full frame..........R10 16-20Mpx full frame......and Hasselblad

similar model 22 -49Mpx big frame

Price?

Small M 2.000$

M9 4.000$

R10 7.000$

Big Frame model 14.000$"

I have no idea of the provenance of this 'rumour' - if only it were true.

Leica is working on a full-frame digital M, but it is unlikely we will see it this year. The digital Leica R is a certainty - and the "small M" (the 4/3ds Leica M mount with a 2.00:1 crop factor) is likely - at Photokina next month.

Also at Photokina, look for some new lenses, including a 24mm Summicron and a 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux.

So what's your point?

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

A 4/3 mini format is no solution for M users, you need an 18mm lens to get 36mm wide angle and your 35mm is a 70mm lens. May as well start buying lenses from scratch.

All the rest is wild speculation. Nikon on their D3 has a 5:4 mode that is direct 8x10" proportions, thats a large 30x24mm sensor area or a 1.2x cropping factor. This would be a very good compromise between 1.33x and FF size sensors for IQ and cost factors producing a camera. The steep angle caused by the short rangefinder mount to sensor distance would be less so with a smaller than FF sensor. The direct to 8x10" makes every sensor count more since nothing goes to waste because no cropping of the image is needed.

I'm not a digital Leica user (due to cost)....but.....I wouldn't be surprised if Leica came out with lenses designed for the smaller image circle of the M8. I would love to see a more affordable M digital rangefinder, so that I could get into the digital and rangefinder world at the same time and see what this fun is all about.

I believe (and I might be mistaken) that Leica, when the M8 was introduced, announced their intention NOT to design small-sensor lenses. Rather they would maintain 35mm full frame image circles regardless of sensor sizes. Makes sense to me - it would very tough for that small company to expand the lens lineup. And at the cost of Leica glass, it would be tough on the market, if not impossible.