New Leica MP Classic Edition Announced

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by chenwah_lee, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Leica announced the availability of a new MP: "At the top of the body, each is engraved with Limited Edition Serial No. from MP-001 to MP-500". "By taking away the electronic exposure system, its viewfinder is big and clear, so photographers can really enjoy the freedom of taking shots by intuition". It comes with a Summicron-M 50mm f/2 50 JAHRE Summicron with the same serial number as on the body engraved on it.
    00AS0P-20921584.jpg

2. Another picture of it.

3. Exciting! ((c) grant)

4. Looks just like my M2!

5. An M3 with .72 mag. -- I just bought a 1958 M3, double stroke for $450. How much is the "new" M3?

6. I guess I wouldn't complain if someone bought me one.

7. Does anybody have a clue about why Leica changed from the angled rewind crank (good) back to the old PITA knob (bad)?

8. The story line I heard was that when a M get's dropped the angled rewind
    knob is one of the first things that gets damaged. Or maybe they found a couple of thousand M3/2 rewind knobs in their invintory.

9. Looks really pretty! Right down to the old fashioned film reminder dial on the back. Unfortunately most of them will end up living their lives either packed away safely or displayed lovingly and proudly rather than being used as cameras. I'll gladly lend Hermes one of my M2 bodies to to use as a prototype for coming out with a "factory distressed finish" M2 body that nobody would be afraid to actually use straight out of the box. A power buffing wheel and fine grit polishing compound in the hands of a skilled worker could quickly brass up a new chrome body, and a Dremel Mototool with the right bit could fake 30 year's worth of wear in the neckstrap lugs. The custom shop could add dents exactly where you want them.

10. I think Leica claims that the angled lever is easily bumped and damaged, and
    then needs repair.

I guess the old knob is a more robust design.

11. It only took them 37 years to conclude that the M4 rewind design was faulty? Amazing!

12. Metallic black paint body integrated with a fine Vulkanite leather; silver protection ring rounds the lens release lock; white frame number on black background of the frame counter; coupling groove in the retro shutter speed setting dial that links to the external meter MR and to do away with the bright red logo.

13. LEICA MP Classic with SUMMICRON-M 1:2/50 mm
    Especially for our Asian distributor Schmidt Marketing, Leica Camera AG has produced a special LEICA MP model for the priority country of China. Fifty years after the introduction of the Leica M, this unique set is based on the equipment of the 1956 Leica MP and marks the anniversary in fitting style. The set is a limited edition of 500.
    Link to camera on the Leica site

14. I'll bet it costs more than an M7. And it has no meter and an old-fashioned knob instead of a rewind crank. Hmmm.

15. Wouldn't taking the battery out of my MP result in the same thing?

16. Perfect, if they added a selftimer you would have a M2R.......what's next a new Leica IIIG.

17. More retro nonsense for collectors and fondlers.

18. Wow! There goes Leica again. Another innovation to extend the capabilities of photgraphers everywhere.

19. At this rate of progression, it wouldn't take Leica long to revert back to a pin-hole camera.

20. Bah! Humbug!!

21. The next release will have black triangular lugs. The one following will also
    include a black lens release button.. the following will debut the return of the
    famous M2 external counter and so on until will have an original MP looking
    black paint camera, which by that time factoring-in inflation etc.. will probably
    be in the say 15,000 buck region.

Then Leica can still squeeze out the MP2 as an ultra rare edition; and maybe
    even the MP SP.

You have got to laugh. Only Leica can get away with it. if people are going to
    buy it. then great. Leica needs the funds.

22. It would be funny if wasn't so obvious that doing this sort of thing takes away from any engineering/design work that they might use to actually improve their basic product. (Like finding a really satisfactory replacement for Barnack's Vulcanite, for instance.)

23. Interesting that Leica is now chasing the real money in China.

Mind you, with it's 540 Billion dollars worth of foreign reserves (of which 80 percent is in US dollars!) you can understand why Leica describes China as a "priority country". Oh yes, and year on year double digit growth.

24. Cool camera, but I'd much rather buy four or five M2 users and have em "Shintaro-ed" and "Sherry-ed" for the same price!

25. The Leica MP was and is a great marketing campaign to generate new sales;
    tapping into the MP legend, and appealing to users who have wanted a red-
    dotless M with engraved script. The pop-up M3/M2 style rewind knob maybe
    more sturdy and a true design classic shape; but it also means Leica can sell
    spin off accessories like the quick rewind attachment and Leicavit winder
    which together help generate even more revenue.

Factor in the special editions & ala catre, if you want the full engraving and
    vulcanite etc.. they have quite nicely stratified and segmented the overall
    market at different levels.

26. My source says they're $5,500 (US) for the set (and rising).

27. Reports on the Leica forum are stating $7,500 for the camara and lens set.
    [No matching engraved Leicavit was sold with this set]

28. doing this sort of thing takes away from any engineering/design work that they might use to actually improve their basic product
    I can't see that this camera took much engineering or design work beyond the current regular MP... it costs very little to put a cover over the battery chamber and omit the electronics and one hole in the body covering. What's more likely is that it, along with the other 'instant collectibles', is providing part of the funding for real product development like the digital M and new lenses.

29. Wow, a new Leica MP raffle just in time for the holidays! Add my name to the list.

30. I can't find it listed anywhere in the US. Tamarkin hasn't even heard of it yet. But I did find it listed in Germany for 6000 Euros ($8055 US). On the same German site, the MP/Summicron 50 set sells for 4350 Euros. What other company removes a feature, calls it a Limited Edition collectible & increases the price by 38%?!

31. I'm waiting for the M5 COLLECTORS EDITION

32. Another limited edition aimed at collecting fools. I would not be surprised if by now, more limited edition series are produced than regular camera's.

It seems that there is a limited edition for every occasion.

Let's see, when was it thas Ceasar crossed the Rubicon... time for a commemorative series!

33. "By taking away the electronic exposure system, its viewfinder is big & clear, so photographers can really enjoy the freedom of taking shots by INTUITION."

With no meter, photographers better shoot intuitively because they now have no choice. Of course, if you want to add a meter, Leica will be happy to provide one . . . for a reasonable cost. LOL

BTW, hadn't Leica heard that the Zeiss Ikon has developed a bigger, clearer viewfinder without removing the meter? . . . and extended the baseline at the same time? is this how Solms responds to competition? Ah, I guess they know who their customer base is.

34. Bill, where was it listed in Germany (site?) -- This set has gone straight to
    Hong Kong/China region. Possibly distributed in surrounding countries like
    Singapore and Taiwan etc..

35. www.leicabeimeister.com/site/produkte.php?language=de

36. It is to be targetted to China

37. Tommy, here's the link: link

38. Tommy, second try, here's the link: link

39. Thanks Bill. Here is the link for the Chinese distributor, lists dealers..

http://www.schmidtmarketing.com/CGI-bin/Products.asp?PS=PH&DV=PHD&
    CO=SPA&MainCat=001&SubCat=012

40. "I'm waiting for the M5 COLLECTORS EDITION"

Don't hold your breath. I wouldn't expect Leica to commemorate the camera that nearly buried them as a company.

41. No, thanks. I'm perfectly happy with my old and perfectly serviceable M3 and M2. I can
    even take pictures with them. BTW, see the comments about Leica QC a few threads above.

42. *Interesting that Leica is now chasing the real money in China.*

Trevor,

The money in China is chasing Leica. I imagine a savvy Chinese Leica dealer comissioned the camera. Luxury goods are flying of the shelves
    there.

43. r s

r s

I think it looks ugly so therefore I wouldn't pick it up much and hence it wouldn't take very many [good] photos.
    <br>
    The luxury of being an amateur [and shallow] photohobbyist.

44. r s

r s

Oopps.. "it" should be 'the Leica M5'.

45. I would have bought it had they put back the self-timer (that's how the M6 was achieved, by putting the battery in the self-timer housing, of the M4).

As it is I don't think they even bothered.

46. More stupidity, but I agree with Doug, it didn't take much engineering talent and time to design this one, all they did was remove a few things and raise the price (hey-sounds like good martketing strategy :)). But I don't understand the statement "By taking away the electronic exposure system, its viewfinder is big and clear,...". Are they really saying the VF is bigger and clearer in this model? If so, what exactly is the difference?

47. According to a reliable source, this special edition was ordered WITH a meter. Approximately half way through production the error was discovered; by that time it was too late to correct.

The same source tells me a key distributor, because of the mistake, has rejected 200 sets. IMHO, these will be hanging out there and available for quite some time.

48. SWEET! im getting at least 2

49. I hope Leica's retro-binge makes the old type wind-knob so desirable amoungst collectors that I can trade my beater M2 straight across for a mint cla'd M4.

50. Eliot,

>>More stupidity, but I agree with Doug, it didn't take much engineering talent and time to design this one, all they did was remove a few things and raise the price (hey-sounds like good martketing strategy :)). i>

Must be some well established German marketing strategy. That's precisely what VW did in Mexico with the Beetle in the last years of production. Each passing year they removed something and raised the price. I used to sell them and watched sadly as they turned from a great car to a piece of junk along the last twelve years of the type existence.

51. Bill,

>>The same source tells me a key distributor, because of the mistake, has rejected 200 sets. IMHO, these will be hanging out there and available for quite some time.<<

IMHO, Leica should wise-up and pass the savings to the customer. If they sold it for, say, $800 less than the regular MP it would be a hot item.

OTOH, that's just wishful thinking a la Charlie Brown... It will go the same way that the 0 Series, the 0 Series 2 and the 0 Series Barnack Ed. For all I know, not only it does not need a meter, they could have kept the shutter and no single collector would notice. 499 of the 500 will never run a film roll through.

52. I thought it would be nice to include a self timer in the front and a classic film speed dial
    on the back, making it a true look-alike. For the M6J is still the most thoughtful special
    edition camera.

53. It's beautiful. It's a piece of art. Like a Patek Philippe watch. It works, and works very well, but it's so beautiful, I couldn't bear to use it.

54. I think Leica should produce some of those dummy models, for those collectors, because they will not use it anyway. The modern Leica, like the modern Rolleiflex 2.8 GX/FX, are just poor imitation of their elder brothers, produced in the 50s-60s.

55. More jewelry.

56. Hah! For a minute there I thought this had left even grant speechless!

"Interesting that Leica is now chasing the real money in China."

Actually - check out Leica's results for the first 6 months of 2004/2005 and you'll notice sales declined in all regions EXCEPT Asia/Pacific. (also, they just warned they aren't making their numbers and expect to finish the year losing 10 megaeuros overall).

OTOH - if Leica is making "classic" back doors without the metering/ISO stuff, maybe it's time for me to get the M4-2 refinished (new leather/new door).

57. (that's how the M6 was achieved, by putting the battery in the self-timer housing, of the M4).
    Not exactly. The self timer housing and the meter space are not quite the same.
    BTW DAG will customise your camera if you ask nicely. For various reasons I am a big fan of the meterless M4-P but always wanted custom frames, an M3 wind lever and a self-timer. For a few hundred dollars including a CLA DAG obliged. It needed the M4-P shell swapping for an M4 one though.
    [​IMG]
    And talking of Chinese special editions who remembers this?.
    [​IMG]

58. Bill B. Your story sounds dubious. 200 cameras is a large number for Leica. It doesn't seem likely that they could miss a the absence of the battery compartment door (which is pretty obvious) on that many cameras. A handful maybe, but not 200. Something is not computing.

59. The Leica MP 0.72 Classic with matching Summicron- 1:2 /50mm has been announced by Leica USA. Catalog number is 10317 at $6,300.00.
    Serial number MP-415 through MP-497 are available to USA and the International market. Delivery time will be January 2005 for special orders only.

60. Such a bargain.

61. Eliot: FWIW, it's not "my story." The source is a reliable one, which is why I posted the account.

62. r s

r s

...and one of them now being sold on ebay

63. I wonder where the buyer is from. It went for $6500 USD, which is more than the US asking price new! Given that it was sold from Hong Kong, I wonder about warranty status, etc. elsewhere. Not to worry, I guess; it'll probably never see any use anyway. LOL