New Leica 'minimalist' camera

justthings

<p>I found this interesting, while still much more expensive than I could imagine spending on a camera at this point, this new camera seems to do some things that I've seen people wanting - very simple operation, no video or live view, sort of getting back to a simple manual film camera experience. Leica seems to be putting out a lot of niche variants of what is already a pretty niche product lately. I wonder how well that model works and if other manufacturers are watching to see what the bottom line is.<br>

http://petapixel.com/2015/11/19/leica-m-typ-262-is-a-return-to-the-basics-of-digital-m-rangefinder-photography/</p>

<p>We already have a thread about it. On operational quality I guess everything said about the base model M (240) remains true; the RF with electronic frame lines earned reviewers praise, compared to the previous M9's.<br>

I wouldn't expect much from others in this field. Konost seem the only other ones willing to build a DRF. Nikon should have the technology but apparently consider their S-mount entirely dead, after a quick revival in the 80s mainly targeted at collectors. <br>

Upon Leica: they seem rerunning their model policy as seen with M9:</p>

<ul>

<li>Flagship camera base model</li>

<li>Luxury version slightly targeted at professional journalists (more durable screen cover, bigger buffer..)</li>

<li>Luxury version with odd finish / ("designer went mad" version with reduced usability).</li>

<li>Upgrade to Monochrom version (after 2 years)</li>

<li>downgrade to plain jane "economy" version with removed bell or whistle.</li>

</ul>

<p>Next base model should come out within a year.<br>

I'm not sure to whom the 262 will sell. - IMHO it is a splendid idea to get one if you believe to really need 3 of those color CMOS bodies in total <em>right now</em>. - If you can cope with one somehow get two 240s and buy an used one as soon as the 1st breaks or needs a CLA.<br>

Maybe Leica have a quirkier customer base than other manufacturers and somebody out there appreciates the lack of electronic distraction in the 262. But mainly I see it as an attempt to sell the 240 technology / production capacity before it gets outdated by a new model. - The previous ME was surely a nice camera but got a bit long in the tooth by now (for a new one). <br>

Personally I'd appreciate a faster release of all the variants to enable folks to get what they really want instead of what is on the market.<br>

Hard to tell what Leica's impact on others might be, beyond inspiring design departments in a not photographically relevant way. - I haven't seen a MILC thats just all dials, provides a nice OVF and mechanical manual zone focusing (instead of focus by wire according to a scale on the display).</p>

<p>The M262 is basically an M9 with electronic frame lines (and 50% more pixels).</p>

<p>The M2 was introduced as a bargain version of the M3. The first M2 omitted the self-timer, recessed frame counter, preview selector and the all-important metal ring around the lens release. As it turned out, the 35/50/90 viewfinder of the M2 was a runaway success among journalists, relegating the M3 largely to dilettantes. Frankly, I never missed the self-timer, but found the frame preview highly useful.</p>

<p>I never missed lenses wider than 35mm or longer than 90 either, but then along came Sony.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"but then along came Sony"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, ...50 years later. And in between, the SLRs and DSLRs appeared allowing a more extensive range of focal lengths than 35 to 90m or 28 to 135mm.</p>

<p>The camera seems to be a typical mid to late production run intended to fill out the end portion of an otherwise falling bell curve of product sales life. I wonder what Leica has in store for a successor to the M240? The seven year itch since Leica's first FF digital is nearly upon us (whereupon 4 years of the M240 will have occurred). One thing Sony has given us is the rapidity of current technological advancements.</p>

<p> </p>