New kid requests seat at lunch table

stephen_moon1

<p>Hey! I'm Stephen and I am new to photography. I have been lurking for a while, reading good information and endless debates. All of that has helped me decide on a camera and a few pieces of glass to get me started. I am an art major but never tried my hand at photography. Macro, tilt-shift, and pin-hole are all really interesting to me - landscape, too. </p>

<p>I ended up getting a near mint Canon New F-1, and I had to get help already in the FD forum! The prospect of shooting film really excites me, for a lot of reasons. But, one thing that stands out is that I feel each shot will have more meaning to me - help teach me to put more thought into it. I also invested in the Motor Drive and AE Finder FN, which I got from KEH. I only know about that company from searching topics on here. I ended getting these Canon lenses: Macro 50mm 3.5, 20-35mm 3.5 L, and 50mm 1.4 - to start. I really want to try as much as possible to see what sticks, but that whole money thing... You know? But, I feel that should be a good starting point for me to try things out. FD tilt-shift lenses are pretty pricey, after all the money I have already invested, but hopefully soon! </p>

<p>I am glad to be on the forums here and hope to learn a lot. I've already gained a lot of good knowledge to help point me in the right direction, so thanks for sharing all of the information you have; searching this site answered a lot of my questions. Anywho, I look forward to sharing with you all and getting to know you. </p>

<p>-Stephen</p>

<p>Welcome to photo.net! I know how you feel about the money thing [i'm a dirt poor college student right now], and it makes every frame you shot on film a lot more special knowing you can only shoot so many before it's gone.<br>

And what a nice camera to start out with! I have a Universal Mercury II and would've picked a Canon New F-1 over that any day.</p>

<p>I'm going for photojournalism or graphic design myself, but I do sell some of my art on the side [i'm not terribly successful, but maybe once I get better]. Graphic design and photography go hand in hand, with the whole setting up the composure and balance [i find at least, I can't vouch for anyone else]</p>

<p>Nikon?... Never heard of it, are they any good? ;) I would love to try lots of of different cameras, honestly. Leica would be cool, if I had the extra cash. I actually just found a VI-T at a resale shop for $3! It looks pretty much perfect, just the viewfinder seems a little yellow/hazy - came with a leather case, a lens, and working light meter, too. And, from what I have read, it seems they take Leica-type lenses.</p>