gerry_szarek

So here is a clip from the web site

"Neutral color rendition, 1/2000 exposure times, large measuring

basis, focus shift within the depth of field, AE lock, distortion

under 1% - how does it all fit together? On Sept. 29, 2004 at 3

p.m., we'll show you the solution ? where else, but at our booth at

Photokina 2004. We look forward to seeing you there. Hall 1.2, booth

B040. Opens at 10 a.m."

It probably has a metal shutter with the 1/2000. But is it digital?

Black and white only ("Neutral color rendition")

3200 speed film only(thus the 1/2000 shutter speed)

No aperture adjustments ("AE lock")

Everything in focus so you can shift your eyes to look at what you want("focus shift")

Zeiss lens ("distortion under 1%")

Single use throw away design("how does it all fit together")

vic... :)

It appears that this confirms a new body and lens(es). I think it will be a new rangefinder body because it doesn't look to me at all like the new C/V models (rangefinder, hot shoe...). Surely the "large measuring basis" refers to the apparent long rangefinder base length we see between the two windows. It obviously is metered, with auto exposure (otherwise what would "AE lock" mean?). To me, "neutral color rendition" sounds like a description of the digital sensor (I hope!). It could, of course, be referring to the lens, but while Zeiss lenses have traditionally been known and touted for their color rendition, "neutral" isn't usually the word used for it. This is usually the kind of description reserved more for film than a lens ad, and so I'm guessing digital. The 1% distortion, however, does seem to clearly refer to the lenses, probably wide angles, so it seems that this is a new system. The wide angle guess would fit with the 1:2 aspect ratio that keeps popping up, but it is also clearly interchangeable, so maybe a new line of lenses? The 1:2 ratio also makes sense of what appears to be a longer body than others, also making room for the long baselength. Finally, the "focus within depth of field" is strange, but to me it sounds like it might refer to the lenses having depth of field scales and being able to be manually focused, as opposed to the G system autofocus lenses. How does it all fit together? I think it's a new digital rangefinder system that will basically be a little brother (sister?) to the X-pan, with 1:2 sensor, a line of manual focus lenses, and all made by Zeiss. If the mount was, at the same time, compatible with G or M lenses and could switch to a standard ratio image on the sensor, this would be very interesting indeed. We'll see tomorrow!

the picture above is shocking to me if from the zeiss booth. in

addition to the m7 there is also a new bessa r2a (in fact several)

and a whole host of CV lenses (any seizz 35mm RF lenses

thrown in??). if this pic is for real, we can be sure there will be M

mount lenses from zeiss. a digital m mount?? no way.

This is indeed from Photokina. A shutterbug sneaked in and took lots of pictures. This is one of those pictures.

Looking at the back of those silver lenses, they match the front RF camera in color. So I would assume we have at least a few M mount Zeiss lenses. But of course, it may just be those lenses that are licensed to Rollei: i.e.: 40mm, 50mm, and 80mm.<div>009bpN-19801284.jpg.f92ad8e6299cf06d76e015804f9b7ef7.jpg</div>

That logo is Cameraunion's. These four Chinese letters stand for: Color, Shadow, No, Limit. My translation for them is The Absolute Image.

Xitek is a famous net ID in China, equivalent to Greenspun. He published a camera book and build a camera discussion site. It was used to be www.xitek.com. Now it is www.cameraunion.com. It is the equivalent of photo.net, may be even better ;) You guys should start to learn Chinese now;)

Xitek's motto is: before photography, there is always a camera.